Baja 1K acceptable lines.

Elk Hunter

Reaction
Questions for Score on specific lines. What is acceptable and what is not? Allot of people are familiar with this course and can post up there questions before pre-run.
If we put together a list for score we can avoid penalties for not knowing.

1- coming out of Santo Tomas, the dirt up-hill that cuts off the asphalt left hander before the military check point.

2- Matomi wash. 50 ft rule?

3-

Califxr

Reaction
Uphill on the coast?

Downhill on Vineyard Rd?

New Puertocitos Rd Vs. Old Puertocitos Rd? :)

XR Gene

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
I believe it would be the flat area past RM 560 The course is usually next to the hill, up against it, then you head left down a flat road towards the ocean.

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
I was told that Team Honda (JCR) had a meeting with Sal to find out what the leeway was and to clarify any interpretation of the rules and grey areas. Sal said.........STAY ON THE COURSE.......PERIOD! Once inside the washes it's the same as always, the wash is the course. But that's it.

STAY ON THE MARKED COURSE.

Oh yeah this is for Pab and Ricky G.......OBEY THE COURSE SPEED LIMITS!!!!!

This one is for RG....Follow the course to the course entrance of the wash..............

xjchaser

Reaction
I was told that Team Honda (JCR) had a meeting with Sal to find out what the leeway was and to clarify any interpretation of the rules and grey areas. Sal said.........STAY ON THE COURSE.......PERIOD! Once inside the washes it's the same as always, the wash is the course. But that's it.

STAY ON THE MARKED COURSE.

Oh yeah this is for Pab and Ricky G.......OBEY THE COURSE SPEED LIMITS!!!!!

This one is for RG....Follow the course to the course entrance of the wash..............

And don't forget RG! Don't be FUELISH on the HWY, you can only get a quick splash on the dirt.

Andy Mac

Simply Stunning
Reaction
I would have to think that staying on the course means no course cutting. So, don't cut off a major corner somewhere. If there are multiple lines and one might be better and they come out in the same place, then that should be okay. In a sand wash like Matomi, there are 3-4 lines at times and I believe those all should be part of the "marked course". Again, as long as you don't cut off any sections of the course you should be okay. But that's just my interpretation of it.

Elk Hunter

Reaction
Questions for Score on specific lines. What is acceptable and what is not? Allot of people are familiar with this course and can post up there questions before pre-run.
If we put together a list for score we can avoid penalties for not knowing.

1- coming out of Santo Tomas, the dirt up-hill that cuts off the asphalt RIGHT hander before the military check point. (???????????????????)

2- Matomi wash. 50 ft rule? ( Entire wash is open)

3- Mile 20ish where the course turns left off the road down a rutted out road that goes strait down. down to the Oaks small house at the bottom on left. Not sure about the rm.
Can you go around on the dirt road? its the long way. They meet up at the bottom.

Last edited:

racer56

Reaction
1- coming out of Santo Tomas, the dirt up-hill that cuts off the asphalt RIGHT hander before the military check point. (???????????????????)
I hope this is legal, its one of the most entertaining spectating spots on the course.

AKA - Parnelli Jones cutoff

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
There are no alternate lines.........only the course...........Yes in a wash it is the entire wash from side to side.........Everywhere else stay right on the marked line............I would imagine the Micky Thompson short cut will be legal but I would ask Sal in person at the drivers meeting.

The people of Mexico are growing inpatient with us using their front and backyards as our own personal playground. Many of the ranchers have to relocate their livestock for the race and then we take a short cut and endanger their livelihood.........If you want to keep racing in Baja you better adapt or go the way of the dinosaurs...........

Opps I thought it was the Mickey Thompson cut off..........My bad

It's still a TON better than racing up here and putting up with the silliness of the Nevada BLM..........

harleys dad

Reaction
I would say pay very close attention at the drivers meeting!! Sal will tell everybody what they can and cant do! Dont blow off the drivers meeting like some do, because it will cost you!!! Ask questions, get clear answers. Beware!!, with 0 tolerance on Sals part(I thought I would NEVER say that) your "P"ing your money away if you cut the course or speed and get penalized!! Anybody who gets penalized at this 1000 is a down rite stupid fool!! after the last 2 Score races, the sleeping giant has awoken. Good luck!!

Brandt_Anderson

"Rag Doll"
Reaction
There are no alternate lines.........only the course...........Yes in a wash it is the entire wash from side to side.........Everywhere else stay right on the marked line..........
Problem with that is that every single line isn't always marked clearly. Plenty of minor non-wash either or's or forks in the road where there's no arrow or wrong way markers. Even with GPS it's not always apparent the exact course (sometimes the marked course and SCORE's GPS plot are completely different).

I know markers don't always stay put by race day, but I would imagine SCORE would want to make quadruple extra effort to make sure there is no ambiguity on any less obvious illegal lines that could get you penalized.

Elk Hunter

Reaction
Geeez, I was not trying to start any s---. It would be easer to get the questions answered now instead of the night before the race. (IMO)

TERRARACE

Reaction
Are we back to this again? See the rulebook. 50' from centerline of marked course is the rule. The Matomi would probably be bank to bank, but the rest is pretty clear. When you pre-run, it should br pretty clear as to hoe many " lines " you can run.

J Caster

Honda TRX700XX Pilot
Reaction
I love this. Some people are on here asking about questionable lines and they get answers like this.

Are we back to this again? See the rulebook. 50' from centerline of marked course is the rule. The Matomi would probably be bank to bank, but the rest is pretty clear. When you pre-run, it should br pretty clear as to hoe many " lines " you can run.
So its 50' BUT probably bank to bank in Matomi? So whats your final answer?

Baja_Seve

Reaction
Geeez, I was not trying to start any s---. It would be easer to get the questions answered now instead of the night before the race. (IMO)
You won't get these questions answered on RDC, only speculative assumptions. Go to Sal or Paul at Score and ask them - then come back and tell us.

Elk Hunter

Reaction
I don't recall where every one is but there are allot of questionable areas. Places where its hard to be sure what is ok. If a list were started if could be forwarded to Sal and answered before the race. Then you will know when pre running. I do understand 50'. Those that think it is simple with out a gps, good for you. I just hate not knowing for sure.

Califxr

Reaction
After the 500 we got our race info from irc emailed to us. You would be surprised that the marked course from irc goes up the santo tomas hill climb and not on the hwy. Also at coyote cals the course notes said to go up and over the hill but the marked course went around the point near the ocean. I can go look at it again and find more discrepencies.
XR G

ML Racer

Reaction
I was wondering if Score would post some "Do's & Don't Do's" before any body starting pre-running, you know, so you don't run any bad lines;) so I e-mailed Paul Fish and asked the question and threw him a couple of examples. Like Matomi Wash and the highway section north of Santo Tomas where you have that up-hill section!! Well here ya go........

Randy,

Matomi is bank to bank, but it must be entered and exited in the traditional manner.

That uphill past Santo Tomas will be a legal line.

More info will be provided in the course notes.

Paul

So Robbie, pay attention to Paul's first sentence:D