Baja 500 Live Update

StandOnTheGas

Reaction
Just got off the Sat phone with the Enduro Racing team - Ex Duralast. They just left the EL Alamo road crossing and they are 12 minutes behind the leader. I was not able to find our who the leader is. I will get more info and post it soon.

StandOnTheGas

Reaction
I just got the run down:

Miller
Steinberger
Collins
Visladosa (SP)
Herbst
Dave Ashley

Scott Steinberger is doing great! Who is he driving with or is he solo?

dave

Reaction
He's teamed up with Jesse Jones I believe. Sure sucks to be @ home .... :-(
Thanks for the updates ... Keep them coming !!!!

firedog

Reaction
Thanks for the updates Bruce, Keep em coming!! yeah it sucks not to be racing or even down there watching! Paul

StandOnTheGas

Reaction
Here is the latest:

Dave Ashley is 5th on the road and 10 minutes out of first place. Miller is still leading. Dan Smith says" put this on the internet: we are making up time with a sick truck - those guys are slow!"

Dan's really cool and faster than all get out.

dave

Reaction
This is turning out good !! Thanks again for the post and keeping us all up todate. I know this
might not be able to get, But any word on any of the other classes ? Bikes ,ones , or ?
Thanks once again and Please keep the udates rolling.

Dave

dave

Reaction
Just got off the phone with my brother Mike . They are racing a 5-1600 ( Gnarly racing )they were in first in class and now have dropped to 5th , however the car is now runing strong and they are all feeling good .
Eric Allen 1/2-1600 is in second place from what they have said They said he had some kind of problem and pulled over to take a look and one car had passed them .Hovey was 15th on course but they weren't sure of were his was in class.... I'll be waiting for the phone call later tonight I hope with more info. after that
it might be a while my brother will be in the 5-1600 so i won't hear more till after the race..
Best of luck to all the teams and pit crews !!!

Salvador

Reaction
I was at Valle de la Trinidad (Half way) and they come thru like this:
TT.- 44, Mark Post, Herbst. Vildosola had Motor problems, something about the belts
Class 1.- Herbst
Pt.- Herzog, Plueger (Hawai guy), fourth Dickerson
Class 7.- Mcneil, Salazar
Class 12.- Vildosola
Class 10.- Yee.

This its the info that i have, I was very sleepy.

elcaprerunner

Reaction
Just read on ORC that Troy won in the Truggy and Miller/ Arciero won TT, but did not say who won overall yet.

bpthirteen

Reaction
Troy Herbst was 1st overall 4-wheel vehicle
Mark Miller was 9th overall
Kory Halopoff won 10 and was 6th overall
Brian Ikler won 12 and was 13th overall
Alan Pflueger won Pro-Truck and was 16th overall
Eric Allen won 1600 and was 19th overall
Nick Vanderwey won 8 and was 20th overall

Johnny and Steve were the fastest overall on their bike.

All the times are on the BFG site

01_el_tiburon

Bait Fish
Reaction
actually that info is missing a couple of racers, looks liken not everybody is listed. Ricardo Malo in class 30 was the third bike and first in class, finishing under 10 hrs, he should be top 5 and hes not included in the bFG list. Maybe the overalls could be moved a bit

el tiburon

Dave_G

Reaction
RE: "Troy Herbst was 1st overall 4-wheel vehicle"

Good. Nice to see the six speed lived....

Dave

Dave_G

Reaction
RE: "Are they running the six speed in the truggy too now?"

Yep.

Dave

KitRacer

Reaction
thanx for the updates Dave, i had a few people at home waiting for results. The race started off great, Adam and I decided that our top priority was to finish, so we decided to go easy. A few miles after the Ojos road crossing, the alternator light came on. I got out to change a fan belt, but the belt was still on, two cars i just passed got around me there. I then radioed to the K. I. T. Racing pit crew to meet me at the next road crossing at K78 to replace an alternator. Before i made it there though, the power steering started vibrating horribly. When i came into the pits, I got out of the car and we were getting ready to replace the fan shroud and alternator. After a quick test though, the alternator turned out to be okay. The steering problem turned out to be just a loose ram bolt, so we tightened that with double top lock nuts and got back on the road. At this point I was running pretty high in the pack, i was told that when i came in i was in first, but i sat for ten minutes, and at least five cars got by. I left the pits and the car was perfect, except that now the rear brakes had faded away (cant wait for disc in 2004). Also the steering was acting up again, but this time it was a lot worst. I did a fuel stop at Valley T and we fixed the steering again, this time we welded the bolt in place and welded the beam where the ram was trying to rip it off. I was told that i had made up 3 minutes on 1607 Dave Hendrickson / Cameron Steele, but once again I had lost some time fixing the steering. I went through the Mikes loop without a problem, other than only having front brakes. When I hit Valley T again, I handed the car over to Adam, we tightened the rear brakes, and installed the lights. At this point we were in second physical and on corrected time we were in second by about 5 minutes. As usual with Adam, he caught 1607 by the beach, and after a 40 mile battle finally got by him in the Tres Hermanos section. It was getting dark, and we were starting to worry about the alternator, at this point, we had Adam running on one H.I.D. and no pumper. Once we heard he had an 8 minute lead over second place, we decided to do a final pit at Ojos. Rick St. John and I did a quick test with the multimeter on the alternator, and it was putting out 13.47 volts, we told Adam the news, and he drove to the finish with two of the 4 H.I.D.'s on. We finished, once again, first in class both physically and on corrected time. On a side note, Adam drove the car back to our hotel, and when pulling into the parking spot we heard a loud snap. Looks like front trailing arms are good for exactly 452.93 miles of racing. Looks like we still lead overall S.C.O.R.E. points too, although Yee finished second, and Eberts didnt do to bad either. I'll end this with the same words that Dave Hendrickson eneded his speech with, "I'll see you boys at Henderson"

Tom_Willis

Reaction
We saw some more madness at the border crossing this time.............. Sunday at about 4.30 am, we roll up to the crossing, and soon figure out that the hundreds of people in line are basically mostly white trash coming back from the bars in Mexico. They're drunk, loud, stoopid, radios cranked up playing that crap, everybody leaning on their horns, going nowhere. Two women strat screaming at each other, one gets in the other's face, they start throwing punches, now EVERYBODY gets out to watch the chickfight. They get back into their vehicles because the line moved about three feet. One chick rams her new Tacoma into the other chick's Honda Passport, the crowd (naturally) cheers her on, so she smacks the car behind her, then she's smoking her tires trying to climb over it.... So the Border Crossing security people close their booths, come over to investigate, so nobody is crossing, an hour later we finally get across... Moral of the story, don't leave Mexico when the bar crowd is getting out.

Bill

Carlos Danger
Reaction
hey tom we had no problems getting home from lucerne.maybe next time you should stay in the states.