Baja 500 New Summit Notes

Big_Rich

RDC Crypto
Website
www.vorra.com
See lance clifford's facebook profile.....LOL

Also you have to remember that Roger is an experienced Rock Crawler now, he can read and feel the line :D

Mark_Weyhrich

RDC Crypto
Website
www.tubespecialties.com
How about the novice bike and quad guys that will either be stuck in the course or fall and not be able to remove their vehicles from the track? I guess it will help with traction.

Last year I caught my first bike at RM 90ish. Can you imagine how many of these guys will potentially be sitting on that hill? We need to start 5 hours behind them, minimum.

cusico

RDC Crypto
This was uploaded 1 day ago, so I am thinking this is the section? IDK, but looks correct, right hander to hill climb???? IDK this could be RM 488 for all I know. All I can find searching 2011 Baja 500, and recent uploads.

Last edited by a moderator:

Racerinside

RDC Crypto
I believe that is the summit, when I talked to Viry, the driver of that 1600 car, she said it isn't that bad as long as people move out of her way. But that probably won't be the case come race time. She is racing sportsman and will be passing a lot of cars, and driving the whole 500 on her own for the first time.

DoitforBMoore

RDC Crypto

randy s

RDC Crypto
I believe that is the summit, when I talked to Viry, the driver of that 1600 car, she said it isn't that bad as long as people move out of her way. But that probably won't be the case come race time. She is racing sportsman and will be passing a lot of cars, and driving the whole 500 on her own for the first time.
i wish her the best. that is a very solid team. they have a real good car and they know how to race.

cusico

RDC Crypto
It may be far worst than the video day, but I will say, ? to 1 power to weight ratio and AWD can go up hills way worst than this. Or any 4wd for that matter.

The other video of the blue and white truck seemed like a far tougher section.

Looks like fun, aside from other cars stuck in my way! Wish I was racing at the 500 this year.

Last edited:

handlebar

RDC Crypto
This was uploaded 1 day ago, so I am thinking this is the section? IDK, but looks correct, right hander to hill climb???? IDK this could be RM 488 for all I know. All I can find searching 2011 Baja 500, and recent uploads.

the video is after the steep hill with the hard rt and going towards the down hill, you can still see the big rocks we will have to go over

Last edited by a moderator:

Zambo

RDC Crypto
Might this be the big downhill that has everyone's eyes so wide?

Attachments

• downhill.jpg
    downhill.jpg
    493.7 KB · Views: 683

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
RDC Crypto
Might this be the big downhill that has everyone's eyes so wide?

omg-cat.gif

You have go to be kidding me.

Some guys might want to get some Chinook helicopters to fly the race cars down that. Or at least ride down on some mountain goats.

I think the co-dawgs might actually qualify as Sherpas if you tackle that thing.

ASHCRAFT

Sticky Balls
RDC Crypto
I was the first vehicle down the summit today. We got there as the tractor was heading to the uphill to do some more grading. All I have to say is that was the craziest down hill I have ever done. I was frightened to say the least. The slope is so great you literally slide down inch by inch. There will be problems here race day for sure. The course needs to go another direction.

HSDMORGAN

RDC Crypto
Website
www.trioformulas.com
Knowing that Andy Mac,Bj, Norman, Ashcraft and other big names in offroad think this way is a bad idea makes me feel so much better about this section.maybe everyone can hook together at the bottom of the summit and go over like a train.lol

BajaboundMoto

RDC Crypto
Website
bajaboundmoto.com
All I have to say is that was the craziest down hill I have ever done. I was frightened to say the least. The slope is so great you literally slide down inch by inch. There will be problems here race day for sure. The course needs to go another direction.
Knowing that Andy Mac,Bj, Norman, Ashcraft and other big names in offroad think this way is a bad idea makes me feel so much better about this section.
I'm not one to worry about the section because I have faith in SCORE to make it decent enough for all and also because I'm a bike guy.

But having so many top buggy/truck drivers say it's going to be bad, well, what's the reality of the limited classes making it? I don't know, I don't drive a buggy.

There are too many "suggestions" about possible route change - pine forest, loop to Coyote and back, blah blah... All that doesn't really matter with politics and some sections being still hammered from winter rains.

So IF there was a change so late in the game what would be the best reasonalbe option (besides the "old" Summit route)?
?- Both directions thru San Matias pass and a loop to Felipe? (not my choice for many reasons)
?- rm100 to south, down Goat Trail, Hwy to Mikes Rd., same course to rm415, and make it 2 loops? Very minimal marking to do, little if any (new) land owner issue, keeps it simple for crews (opposed to having to plan out new pit/chase for new desert loop). It'd end up over 550mi.
Sure multi-loop races suck, especially for bikes, but we've done it multiple-times before.

Don't rail me, just thinkin' out loud about the limited car classes.