Baja 500 on OLN Right Now!!

desertratt

dosent do me any good since they decided to up grade the cable system in my area to make it better and it only made it worse

surfpunk1

Date Time Title
6/2/2003 2:00 AM - 3:00 AM PRO TRUCK TERRIBLE TOWN 250
6/5/2003 10:00 PM - 11:00 PM PROTRUCK PARKER 425
6/6/2003 1:00 AM - 2:00 AM PROTRUCK PARKER 425
6/9/2003 2:00 AM - 3:00 AM PROTRUCK LAUGHLIN DESERT CHALLENGE
6/12/2003 10:00 PM - 11:00 PM PRO TRUCK TERRIBLE TOWN 250
6/13/2003 1:00 AM - 2:00 AM PRO TRUCK TERRIBLE TOWN 250
6/16/2003 2:00 AM - 3:00 AM PROTRUCK PARKER 425
6/19/2003 10:00 PM - 11:00 PM PRO TRUCK BAJA 500
6/20/2003 1:00 AM - 2:00 AM PRO TRUCK BAJA 500
6/23/2003 2:00 AM - 3:00 AM PRO TRUCK BAJA 500
6/30/2003 2:00 AM - 3:00 AM PRO TRUCK TERRIBLE TOWN 250

FIF

Sorry about the lousy cable company. For those of you that missed it, Alan won again!

NOODLE

I liked getting to see the reason why I had to ride 4 hours in a rental Expedition to recover the Mango Protruck that ran up on the back of Scaroni's protruck stuck in the silt. Talk about a long day. And if you thought that silt looked bad on TV you should have driven throught it. But, i got a nice up close view of the truggy and a few other class 1's when we were towing it out on the only way out(which was the course)and they were on our tail end trying to get around us.

jeff

Call me bitter but I'd like to see some additional vehicle coverage. OLN's coverage of the desert racing is better than nothing but it should include at least something besides Ivan and his Protruck empire. Is there any other TV coverage or is this it?

On a side note... forget this television stuff and go buy the DP2 video!

Aloha

John Bitting

Administrator
Ivan is the only one doing something about getting off-road on TV right now and for that I applaud his efforts. I think Protruck is one of the toughest classes out there, they are always seperated by minutes at the finish and have a good finishing rate. Its exactly what he meant it to be and thats a drivers class. I want to see him back in one and see how Pflueger, Johnson, Hogan, Barlow do against the ironman. Should be pretty bitchin, although I dont think it will ever happen.

erikh

The coverage of the problems in the silt was awesome. A great combination of in-car and helo footage.

erik

elcaprerunner

I asked this a month or so ago and no one seemed to know, but I will ask one more time just to see if anyone might know anything. Will OLN be doing the "Trophy Truck Series" again this season? I remember last season it was late in the year, meaning they were showing Laughlin about the time of the 1000 if I remember correct ( I don't have OLN though). Anyone have any idea? And call me stupid, but I can't remember if it really was OLN, or if it was the Outdoor Channel that was doing the Trophy Truck Series?? I know the Outdoor Channel is covering most or all of the BITD races this year, so there's something for you. I don't have that channel either, stupid Adelphia!!!

John Bitting

Administrator
My guess is no go on coverage. Last year at Laughlin a couple of drivers and owners put up some good money to get the production crew out there to film and then it did not happen again. So there has been no helo's out so far this year that I have seen shooting TT's only personal Helos.

PLS

I agree it would be great to see other classes, but as long as Protruck and their sponsors are putting up the $ for the coverage, that is all we are going to see. As far as Ivan racing a Protruck, I heard him in an interview where he said he would like to, but considered it a conflict of interest to race against the guys he was selling to. He did say he would like to run one in Paris/Dakar though.
The silt shots brought back nightmares from races in the past!
Pete S.- BOYD RACING

Baja_Seve

Not only that, but getting this on the air less than 3 weeks after the race is far better than waiting for the Speed version. Although alot of people may not see it Ivan's way, he is bringing great exposure to the sport despite the Pro Truck agenda. It was great coverage. The helicopter makes all the difference, wish it had caught Pflueger and how he managed to get around the silt pile-up.

Seve

Mark_Weyhrich

Actually, Ivan is not the only one doing something about putting off-road on TV. Casey Folks and BITD have made a commitment to put all of their races on OLN, whether he receives sponsorship money or not. That is a huge risk he is taking and I would like to commend him for it.

I don't know who stepped up and paid for the TV sponsorship for Parker, but the Herbst family paid for the Terrible's Town race and our family is paying for the Vegas to Reno coverage.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Just out of curiosity, if you don't mind me asking, how much does it cost to get coverage for one race?

Mark_Weyhrich

I guess I should clairfy...Casey pays for the race to be televised. Then, it is up to him to recoup his costs. I do not know what his total costs are, nor have I ever asked him what they are. I can tell you that, at this point, he does not make any money at it.

Casey has put together several "Package Proposals" which individuals and/or companies can take advantage of. Herbst was the "Presenting Show Sponsor" for TT 250, as we are the "Presenting Show Sponsor" for Vegas to Reno. While this does not pay for 100% of the cost to air the program, it is the most significant investment package available.

I would not mind telling you the cost, however for ethical purposes I am not willing to divulge the cost structures of someone else's business, without their permission. Sorry.