baja 500 on tlc

hoeker

Reaction
from scores website.

2002 BAJA 500 AIRS THIS WEEKEND
February 18, 2003
ATTENTION RACE ENTHUISTISTS

THIS WEKEND (2/22/03) THE 2002 TECATE SCORE BAJA 500 WILL AIR ON THE TRAVEL CHANNEL (please check your local listings). THE NAME OF THE SHOW IS “EXTREME 4X4’s”.

It will air Saturday evening (2/22) at 10:00pm and again Sunday morning (2/23) at 1:00am . These times are Pacific Standard Time

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

Some are born great, some achieve greatness,
and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Brian Mapes

Reaction
Yea i think that is the same one that we have been talking about. it has mud bogging rock crawling and the baja 500.

You gots to pay da cost to be da boss. - Snoop

martininsocal

Reaction
And the Bozo who gets his hand caught in the winch...

If your gonna go, go BIG

elcaprerunner

Reaction
So as not to confuse people ( namely me, lol) is this show on the Travel Channel or TLC? OR are TLC and the Travel Channel the same channel? I really want to watch it but I don't get the travel channel ( or OLN for that matter, stupid Adelphia won't give us any premium channels where we live, just basic cable). And another question, I was watching TLC just the other night and they had a show called "Extreme 4X4's", it was for the most part mud boggers and military Hummer and Jeep stuff, but at the end they did a profile on MacPherson's with lil' and big Mac in it and it showed them doing the Baja 1000, it also showed some competitors such as Herbst in the old TT Scott has now, Robby in the TT Post/Whelchel have now, and also John Herder in his old class 1 ( not the truggy), anyways are we talkin about the same show? I am sure we aren't because since they did a profile on the Mac's it was pretty old, so if they are doing last years Baja 500 this must be a second addition of the show? I am confused, can somebody please explain? Thanks.

DIRT'S FOR RACING, PRERUNNERS ARE FOR GETTING THERE!

H.O.R.E.
Hemet Off-Road Enthusiasts

Steve_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
I think TLC is The Learning Channel. The Travel Channel is different and the show you are talking about must be an older one. The one they are talking about had rock crawler contests and then the Red Bull Pro truck at the 500.

<font color=red>"BIG TYMERS is a state of mind... If you gonna do something, do it big time."</font color=red>

hoeker

Reaction
sorry about the tlc/ travel channel thing. i copied the post right off scores site, the title was my hack at the keyboard.

Some are born great, some achieve greatness,
and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Reaction
I just watched it, it's different from the older TLC show called "Extreme 4x4s" (something like hat)..which featured the McPherson TT (Jeff ?? driver). In car video of suspension, etc.

The credits at the end of the Travel Channel show was 2002, I'm trying to figure out which Baja 500 it was, I'm guessing 2002. The route of the Baja 500 was shown, & it went north of of Ensenada at the start. (it reminded me of the 2001 Baja 1000 which I went to). I thought the show was really well done, they didn't mess up bad with mistakes ("fear") or exaggerate ("hype"). They initially showed some footage from Laughlin road crossing (fast & "air"), so that was a little bit misleading..that ain't Baja!!

I thought they did a terrific job following a particular type, Steve Barlow's & his pro-truck (Red Bull sponsorship). They showed TTs, Class 1, a Class 11 (stock VW), motorcycles. Anyone know where those mountain switchbacks they were showing at the end? I think it was outside Valle de Trinidad, the start of the last section of the course. (I pre-ran the section from Valle De Trinidad towards the Pacific Coast (crosses Hwy 1, & then up the coast to Erendeira), & it looked a lot like that. They coulda used some beach shots (near Erendeira, like the "bowling ball rock section"), that woulda really showcased the Baja 500. Click here for the 2000 Baja 500..it gives you a taste of the Pacific section of the Baja 500, that's where I pre-ran the Valle de Trinidad to beach section..I completely blew off the start & mid-portion of the race course. (I went halfway up to the Mexican observatory..kinda near Mike's Sky Rancho, near where PCI "Weatherman" sets up the repeater, to watch the stars. I was doing astronomy & offroad racing in one trip).

I think they showed the fast sections ("rollers") near Ojos Negros. I think I figured out Travel Channel's game plan, they went to Ojos & then to Valle de Trinidad, then went back to start-finish in evening to catch the finishers. They made some reference to the southern section (San Felipe I believe), but I don't think they went down there. (or maybe they did, did anyone recognize any footage from down there).

The credits at the end under "additional footage supplied" named Laughlin Visitor's Bureau, Damen Jeffries, & some others. Is that where they got the Laughlin footage, not from a private spectator? (the footage is shot from a rock formation..not from the ground). They shoulda called me, I coulda given them some background footage from the '00 Baja 500..the beach section with waves in the background. I got Damen Jeffries in his Class 1.

Next time there is knowledge about media coverage, an alert should be sent out to the offroad racing community (say here on race-dezert.com)..a call for video footage. It would make our sport look better.

Remember many yrs ago, there was that show called "The Extremists"? They did a fantastic piece on Ivan Stewart's PPI Toyota & Larry Roeseler on his Kawasaki. Awesome footage, & great announcing. They showed a 1-2/1600 launching off an apex of a hill, & doing an endo..crowd going wild. The one on Larry Roeseler showed him on a dry lake bed (helicopter shot), which was ultra cool. He & his buddies were playing around a railroad tracks, practicing jumps. I have both these on tape (have to really dig up into my archives), & a copy should be shown at some upcoming races (at a bar, like the Choo Choo). I have videos going back to the mid-80's of SpeedWeek's weekly coverage (remember that???) & ESPN offroad racing 1 hr shows. One of them is Robby Gordon going right past my white 4x4 van at the Fireworks 250 ('90 I think).

"Go for the Gusto, Go for the Overall"
-- Robby Gordon, SCORE off-road champion

desertracer

Reaction
Just watched the baja 500 thing on the travel channel at 10 pm pacific time. It was pretty good footage and riding along with barlow was neat to see. Overall it was fine and worth watching.

MDR #112

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
The highlights were the chick standing in boots with heels on them and daisy duke shorts by the mud pit, must have been on the prowl. And our own Gabe at the finish line of the 500 filming Barlow coming in. The guy whos buddy winched the wrong way and smashed his hand should get beat with the cast when the guy gets his hand reparied, that was a whoops move.

martininsocal

Reaction
Oh JD--- Come here, I have someone I want you to meet... %@POW*&!!!! This was my friend lefty, now we just call him stumpy...You and he look good together....

If your gonna go, go BIG