Baja 500 post race controversy guesses???

DG_BTI

Reaction
So, NASCAR DQ'd Chase Elliot and stripped him of his stage win this weekend in Nashville just because they found loose lugnuts on his car during the post race inspection. They will also hand out a hefty fine to his crew chief later in the week. And we thought SCORE was strict. Geez!
difference is NASCAR's lug nut rule is the same for everyone. They don't make stuff up as they go and give different penalties to different teams.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
There is no live TV coverage of Baja races, so stop complaining about it! There used to be checkpoint times posted on a big white board at S/F so people could keep track of where cars were. It was done by check point workers keeping track and radio relays using various people that were pitting, like BFG, Checkers, Mag 7, Los Campeones, etc... And it worked... In the 1980s! Fast forward to now and all the folks who want technology to make it better seem to not understand IT'S BAJA and old school still works better down there. You want up to the minute coverage of the race, go WATCH IT in Mexico! SCORE and the Racers who PAY to race don't care about your desire to see how they are doing, they already know how they are doing. There are no multi-million dollar TV deals, BIG NASCAR style sponsors, heck, even Wide World of Sports doesn't beat down the door to Baja races anymore, but they used to. So stop thinking all the 'improvements' that have been applied have made the sport more marketable to the public and created a desire for sponsors to fill our pockets because IT HASN'T HAPPENED! Racers are racing for the idea of the race, period.

Chainguide

Reaction
In regards to the beat up course before the race. Three weeks of prerunning is probably excessive in this day and age of GPS and VCPs. I wouldn't be surprised if SCORE cut it back to two weeks.

calstyl2

Reaction
There is no live TV coverage of Baja races, so stop complaining about it! There used to be checkpoint times posted on a big white board at S/F so people could keep track of where cars were. It was done by check point workers keeping track and radio relays using various people that were pitting, like BFG, Checkers, Mag 7, Los Campeones, etc... And it worked... In the 1980s! Fast forward to now and all the folks who want technology to make it better seem to not understand IT'S BAJA and old school still works better down there. You want up to the minute coverage of the race, go WATCH IT in Mexico! SCORE and the Racers who PAY to race don't care about your desire to see how they are doing, they already know how they are doing. There are no multi-million dollar TV deals, BIG NASCAR style sponsors, heck, even Wide World of Sports doesn't beat down the door to Baja races anymore, but they used to. So stop thinking all the 'improvements' that have been applied have made the sport more marketable to the public and created a desire for sponsors to fill our pockets because IT HASN'T HAPPENED! Racers are racing for the idea of the race, period.
images GIF

paranoid56

Reaction
score needs to take a page out of KOH race. Somebody who knows tech and makes it happen.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
I guess YOUR phone company is going to set towers down all over Baja so they can transmit all this data for coverage? Don't say satellite, I have had satellite stuff not work down there plenty of times. That's why I said the old stuff WORKED better than all the imaginary stuff you guys seem to think is set up down there just like in the states.

paranoid56

Reaction
I guess YOUR phone company is going to set towers down all over Baja so they can transmit all this data for coverage? Don't say satellite, I have had satellite stuff not work down there plenty of times. That's why I said the old stuff WORKED better than all the imaginary stuff you guys seem to think is set up down there just like in the states.
sats do work down there, have used them and they are fine. even the speeds are good. now with starlink coming should be even easier. This is just piss pore lazyness of score.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Wish I could say the same. Satellites have been hit and miss during races, mostly because of too many users trying to keep up. You launching sats for SCORE's personal use?

paranoid56

Reaction
Wish I could say the same. Satellites have been hit and miss during races, mostly because of too many users trying to keep up. You launching sats for SCORE's personal use?
nope, but use it for other events. data isnt cheap but its stable. which dish/service are you using?

ace_photo

GET SOME
Reaction
Website
www.getsomephoto.com
sats do work down there, have used them and they are fine. even the speeds are good. now with starlink coming should be even easier. This is just piss pore lazyness of score.
Cell service takes a giant crap on race day. I challenge you to get one photo out from an area saturated with spectators. Satellite has its challenges as well. Thats what the live show had been using in the past. They proved unreliable and not cheap.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Cell service takes a giant crap on race day. I challenge you to get one photo out from an area saturated with spectators. Satellite has its challenges as well. Thats what the live show had been using in the past. They proved unreliable and not cheap.
Doesn't matter Art, this guy knows he has great coverage at B.A.P. so that's the way it is everywhere.

paranoid56

Reaction
yep, just like cell gets oversaturated at most large events. However using something like a cradlepoint setup with dual sims and a good memo directional antenna will give you a great setup that will use bands that cells dont always use.
Doesn't matter Art, this guy knows he has great coverage at B.A.P. so that's the way it is everywhere.
only speaking from a guy thats actually setup sats in baja and boosters and such for good routers.

Rich Roberts

Reaction
Or you could release the route with road by passes as the official route then the night before put out an updated GPS file at the meeting.... and require all vehicles to have an on board gps...
That would be fair. Instead SCORE posts 60’ rule Deavation on the GPS marked course in their racer briefs/notes but still allows the few that found the alternate route around the log jam to gap the rest of their class by one hour plus? The alternate route at the log jam at RM170 was at least 1/4 to 1/2 of a mile and clearly a violation of the rule, when questing the race director about this he said it was ok? I guess ok for the chosen few! Especially if you live in the same city as the race director lol.