Baja 500 pre-run??

mexracer10

Reaction
Only two more weeks until the baja 500 and there are no threads on current pre-run trips? I just got back and ran from mile 300 up to mile 390. we must have been the first big vehicle through on saterday because we had to get out of the rhino and move a couple of very large boulders that had slid onto the road, i mean me and my bro could barely roll these things off the road. Mile 360-372 are the really bad hills where everyone got stuck last year and it looks like its going to be alot worse this year. A few bikes that were running that section when i was, were struggling up some of these hills that are still hard, and not the chewed up silty mess they were last year. I looked for "an aleternate" lanes and i could not see any. Anyone else go through there? Anyone else pre-run??

motoman29

Reaction
Our guys just got back from doing 40-105 and 200-400. Everything went according to plan. No problems, just a ton of fun in Baja!

A&SCHASE1

Hero
Reaction
we just got back home from pre-running mile 300-360. we had a lot of fun. weather was great.no problems,great food,perfect day.I was surprised to see very little people pre-running.just a few bikes and quads.I am thinking about heading out next weekend.

BajaFand

Reaction
Some friends of mine are in San Felipe for the weekend and I asked them if they've seen any prerunners in town and they said they haven't seen a single one. I know SF is about 30 miles from the closest part of the course but being that part of the course is the half way point I figured allot of people would be staying the night there after prerunning the first half.

The weekend is still young, people will still be returning home tomorrow and there will be more prerun reports.

RFS Motorsports

Reaction
We decided to head down this Thursday instead and prerun for a week

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
Reaction
Only two more weeks until the baja 500 and there are no threads on current pre-run trips? I just got back and ran from mile 300 up to mile 390. we must have been the first big vehicle through on saterday because we had to get out of the rhino and move a couple of very large boulders that had slid onto the road, i mean me and my bro could barely roll these things off the road. Mile 360-372 are the really bad hills where everyone got stuck last year and it looks like its going to be alot worse this year. A few bikes that were running that section when i was, were struggling up some of these hills that are still hard, and not the chewed up silty mess they were last year. I looked for "an aleternate" lanes and i could not see any. Anyone else go through there? Anyone else pre-run??
we preran, this weekend and the weekend before...we passed in our full size prerunner, so they might have fallen during the week, we too noticed a lot of new rocks on the course yesterday......the last 30 miles before Ojos:eek::eek::eek: SUCK!!!

stuckthrottle

Godlike
Reaction
I only saw a Norman/Roesseler pre-runner and a 1600 car, otherwise just a bunch of bikes and quads. Most of the terrain I went through was still very solid and not chewed up yet. The weather could NOT have been better though, baja is just all kinds of awesome.

miguelitro

Reaction
rode erendira to ojos yesterday, lots of fun, but from acambaro up to ojos is gonna be torn up come race day.
Mike

EvilOne

Reaction
i am not one to start stuff, but i heard that there might not be a race this year. i was down there since wednesday and ran about 200 miles and also ran mlie295-395 there was three of us pre running on bikes. we stayed at the las palmas hotel there was only 4 bikes there, last year this time you could barely get a room, my resource that gave me this info is good friends with someone at score, i will know more tomorrow

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
Reaction
i am not one to start stuff, but i heard that there might not be a race this year. i was down there since wednesday and ran about 200 miles and also ran mlie295-395 there was three of us pre running on bikes. we stayed at the las palmas hotel there was only 4 bikes there, last year this time you could barely get a room, my resource that gave me this info is good friends with someone at score, i will know more tomorrow
Careful there, you just opened up a HUGE can of worms...course is all marked by SCORE and they have not alerted any of us pre entered so if something is going to change we should have known by now considering that some teams like us, have preran for the past 2 weeks and that runs a large cost in itself...please let us know if you KNOW something...

ML Racer

Reaction
The reason you didn't see many people prerunning is because it's the same course as last year and so there's no reason to prerun the same course over and over again. Think about it, if you knew the course like the back of yer hand, what fun would that be!! Me, on the other hand, who can't seem to remember what I had for lunch, will be prerunning the course over and over again because I, I, crap, forgot what I was saying. Anyway, if Sal was gonna cancel the race, he'd wait till the last minute, not 12 days before race day!

Tomas

Reaction
We also went down and pre ran Friday- Sunday. We did the entire course and being rookies we had never seen the 500 course before. I was surprised on how rocky the course was from rm 119 to the lake bed. We were lucky enough to do the 1000 last year so most of the course is the same. Our team only saw Roesler and bikes the first day, and then we saw a few more teams yesterday when we went from Rm 265- 395. See you all in 10 days!!!!!!!!!

mexracer10

Reaction
does anyone have a google earth overlay for the map? in particular the urapan to ojos section.
And does anyone have info about the start/finish run back to ensenada? i herd they might change it due to all the homes that have been biult there.

sidekicker

RIP Lusk & Ox
Reaction

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
does anyone have a google earth overlay for the map? in particular the urapan to ojos section.
And does anyone have info about the start/finish run back to ensenada? i herd they might change it due to all the homes that have been biult there.
attached.

Attachments

Tipracer

Reaction
Fyi...While I heard the same "rumor" it has so far proved to be baseless..
this was published mon. in Ensenada, as this was translated by google I edited it some
By Madrigal Nicte / El Vigia
2009-05-25 00:00:00 2009-05-25 00:00:00
Ensenada, BC - The celebration of the 41 edition of the race Baja 500 off-road, it will mean to the state and municipal governments, a financial contribution of over half a million pesos, in addition to in-kind support of private initiative, informed the Mayor.

Pablo Alejo López Núñez said that the figure is estimated to support aspects of the race as cleaning and security, assisted by units of the three branches of government.

This, he said, rather than an expense is a contribution, because it means contributing to the revival of the tourism sector and the economic income is estimated at several million dollars.

It was reported that farmers were able to get a payment of $ 42 per kilometer along the route, while Oscar Ramos, the legal representative of Score International have argued that damage will be covered by insurance taken out.

He acknowledged that this year the number of teams could decline due to global economic crisis, although it increased the costs of participation to support the runners.

most important....
The agreement was signed yesterday by the Municipal Government and Score International to carry out the "Baja 500" will help raise the number of tourists at the port, estimated Pablo Alejo López Núñez.

So as far as anyone knows there are no problems with this race...

Relvsurfs

Reaction
The reason you didn't see many people prerunning is because it's the same course as last year and so there's no reason to prerun the same course over and over again. Think about it, if you knew the course like the back of yer hand, what fun would that be!! Me, on the other hand, who can't seem to remember what I had for lunch, will be prerunning the course over and over again because I, I, crap, forgot what I was saying. Anyway, if Sal was gonna cancel the race, he'd wait till the last minute, not 12 days before race day!
The course is different in traditional Baja style. never the same .....ya never know and need to run it !

momalley

Reaction
we got back today after a great 3 days. Sat ojos to rm 160 baja pits, lots of rocks and heat over and down summit, put the quads on the trailer to mikes turn off, shower, bed and steak was nice. Sun quick run to erendira, flat and fast, lots of beers and beach camping and another steak. Mon last 60 mi to ojos, silt hills not bad yet, lunch at the big oak trees, after that a little rough with a few suprizes. Then to rosarito for a jacuzzi and another great dinner. My only complaint is I let one of the guys on our trip take my quad to town for a taco, and he exploded the rear shock! He had no real explanation or apology. huh?