Baja 500 stories

ML Racer

Reaction
Team Missing Lenk arrived on Sunday, checked in Estero and prepared for 4 days of pre-running. Weather was great, pre-running went great, taco's were great, everything was going just plain great. Race day, car was in top shape and ready to rumble. Everything was going great right up to RM42 when a giant rock (the size of a small truck) popped out of nowhere and took out the front end of the car. We were able to limp it back to town via the highway. Grant & I were a few cars behind around K31 on highway 3 when everyone started to brake hard. Grant jambed the brakes but the little red car behind us didn't follow suit. Grants trailer hitch ripped the front of the car apart to the motor. I jump out to see a Mexican girl in the right front seat crying, the guy driving asking Grant "why you stop so fast" and "look what you did to my car" I then called weatherman / Score Ops and report the accident. 3 minutes later a Federal Policeman shows up and asks "wut up" and after he gets briefed as to the obvious, we were back on the road with no damage to the truck except some paint on the hitch.

Reaction
I have always felt that Walker Evans made a major a$ remark when he said on TV that race cars could not hear a horn, so you have to Nerf. BS. The only way you can not hear it, is when it is not honked Another gripe of mine is that the promoters do not allow sirens. They can be heard all the time. At the last MORE race a car was dq'd for abusive nerfing. I say Guillotine.
Clare Ross
I can almost never hear a horn over the car noise, and sirens are legal at SCORE races.

Reaction
They (bi-polar) were going to protest the Voss truck for getting towed to finish but then they didnt show up.
I thought it was for the caved in cage on 1215, they were pretty hot about it at the finish line.

Did they get towed in through the wash? That would not be legal as it was in the last mile. SCORE took Mark McMillins third place points away from him at San Felipe two years ago several days later when they learned that he was towed/pushed in the last mile.

la2baja

Familia
Reaction
Just back from Baja. Mexico was so scary with the shooting and the cartels that some of my crew and myself drove to La fonda's for Sunday brunch and decide to stay there another day and a night. ;)

TreyP

"F" you Bill
Reaction
Just back from Baja. Mexico was so scary with the shooting and the cartels that some of my crew and myself drove to La fonda's for Sunday brunch and decide to stay there another day and a night. ;)

Lucky bastage. I would of loved to spend an extra day there. ;)

la2baja

Familia
Reaction
La Fonda is my favorite place in Baja. Best Prime Rib in the world

No doubt!

Great work at the race Ramsey. One of the best 12 car performances I can recall.

We almost met at Las Palmas. I was busy with our car and you were busy with CW's prerunner. I'm the dork that offered you the jack from my truck. Oh, well next time!

SimonSays

Reaction
Website
www.Thefactoryracing.com
any good stories.. see anything interesting between borrego and san matias(not sure of the mile)

i wasnt in the truck so im not sure and dan is passed out already he soloed the race so he is kinda tired... lol i know that some chick flashed the truck but dont know when that was...

DEZERTSUB

Straw Man
Reaction
My first time going to Ensenada for a race...

Loved it. Nothing but nice things to say about the police/military personnel I encountered.

Let's see, what sucked about Mexico:
slow cars on the 3.
our team didn't finish.

End of list.

Already thinkin about takin a short trip to explore Baja a little more before the mil...

Wendell #527

Reaction
Website
www.riff-raffdesertracing.com
Awsome race. All the booby traps we hit (except one) were simply man made jumps. We had thousands of good local fans cheering us on and even helping us when we got stuck. There is always a few arses that mess things up. At milemarker 375 we were powering up one of the silt hills at about 2 MPH when this guy comes to the side of my car with a rock the size of my head. He threw it into the car from about 4 feet away and nailed the side of the car. Complete chicken Shrt cause there was obviously nothing we could do. We had one other nummer throw a smaller rock and hit my co-driver and another spit on our car. The three guys shouldn't be what I talk about, though. There were a lot of good people pulling up stuck cars. Security was very good all weekend.

eastcounty61

Reaction
Website
www.youtube.com
We had no issues with cops, secuirty or anything of that nature. I arrived wednesday to start pre running and we went home sunday just afternoon. Good times, good tacos.

dbart

Reaction
Team Missing Lenk arrived on Sunday, checked in Estero and prepared for 4 days of pre-running. Weather was great, pre-running went great, taco's were great, everything was going just plain great. Race day, car was in top shape and ready to rumble. Everything was going great right up to RM42 when a giant rock (the size of a small truck) popped out of nowhere and took out the front end of the car. We were able to limp it back to town via the highway. Grant & I were a few cars behind around K31 on highway 3 when everyone started to brake hard. Grant jambed the brakes but the little red car behind us didn't follow suit. Grants trailer hitch ripped the front of the car apart to the motor. I jump out to see a Mexican girl in the right front seat crying, the guy driving asking Grant "why you stop so fast" and "look what you did to my car" I then called weatherman / Score Ops and report the accident. 3 minutes later a Federal Policeman shows up and asks "wut up" and after he gets briefed as to the obvious, we were back on the road with no damage to the truck except some paint on the hitch.

We were wondering what happened to you guys. Jimmy ward, Dave Boss, Tim Gardner and myself were at RMM 316...kept an eye for you guys, but after the sun went down we figured something was up.
We had an epic time down there. Hopefully you guys will be up and running soon.
See you at the next one.

Dale B

WildCat

Reaction
Website
www.maniacracing.com
My first time going to Ensenada for a race...

Loved it. Nothing but nice things to say about the police/military personnel I encountered.

Let's see, what sucked about Mexico:
slow cars on the 3.
our team didn't finish.

End of list.

Already thinkin about takin a short trip to explore Baja a little more before the mil...

Dude...you should...Driving south on H-1 is awesome, specially after you get pass El Rosario. A good place to camp is definitely Bay of L.A. and further south in Playa Santispac (sounds like Sansixpac to me)...

Grat to hear that everyone had a great time and had no major, if any, incidents...

mhipwell

Reaction
me and allen trimble were getting back to ensenada thurs. night, after pre-running all day in rene bruger's bronco,didn't have plates on his bronco,cop asked for regestration and my drivers license,he walked back to his car and when he came back allen stated we are with the dessert assassins race team, the cop then asked us if we had any dessert assassins stickers. we replied yes,gave him two stickers,and he said have a nice night.i thought that ticket was going to cost me at least 40 bucks.instead only to DA stickers.

Reaction
To anyone who was bumped during the Baja 500, in response to the posting made,

I sincerly apologize if anybody felt they were bumped or "nerfed" harder than whats normal for races, that was not my intention. During the race its always my priority to ensure safety and fun of all of the racers, while mainting speed and technicality to be competitive overall and in your class. Several times during the race we were in situations where we needed to pass people. I first make sure to use my horn and try to give enough time for a signal from the driver that it was safe to pass. If there was no response then I would try to give a little tap, which is common practice during all the races. Sometimes in the heat of the race you tap harder than you mean to, and lots of times people can't hear the horns. This race there was probably 20 or so times when we tapped people to get by, and the bumper on the truck only has a small dent, so there could not have been much force there. There were lots of times also this race when I thought my co-driver was going to wear our horn out by how long we had to lay on it to make sure that other drivers knew where we were.
Once again, I truly apologize if anyone felt that the well-being of their car or the safety of the drivers was at risk, thats never something I, or hopefully any racer, would knowingly compromise. We also know what it is like to be hit hard during a race, and have suffered car damage as a result also. But at the end of the day, thats racing and although you may do your best, mistakes happen.
We have always put safety of ourselves and other competitors as the highest priority, and again apologize if anyone felt we were intentionally acting otherwise. Baja is a great place to race and the main thing that keeps us coming back is the spirit of the competitors, organizers, and fans.
I would really like to discuss this with you some more, maybe over a drink or something so we can not only make sure that there are no hard feelings, but also to swap stories about what fun experiences Baja has given all of us.
My cell is (360)772-1049, give me a call here sometime. I look forward to hearing from ya.
Again, I'm very sorry if there was damage done to your vehicle or if anyone was hurt, that was never what I had intended to do and hopefully you can accept this apology.

-Dave Creagan, Bi Polar #203

Also, thank you to everyone who did allow us to pass. We appreciate letting us go if ya see if us coming up behind you or if we do have to give a little tap. We were able to go from about 30 miles behind the last protruck to a second place finish.

Well i am very disguted by the exxcesive nerfing by the Bipolar protruck..It wasnt a nerf it was a flat out whiplash hit ! They hit us soo hard it hurt our drivers shoulder so bad he had to get out at 100 mile pit but that was the first time they hit us, we passed them on the course only a few mins later after the hit, and they slammed us yet again F..k theres no need to hit so hard..im not a pu...y but that was uncalled for there was a car broken down infront of us so we slowed ...only to be bashed by these guys... we had engine probs and were going as well as we could...ya think we are not gona let ya by ? Boobie traps are one thing but this kinda crap is uncalled for .. a tap is all ya need to get the point your back there.. maybe we slowed for a reason.. Hey Bipolar next time take your meds and race clean ! That sucked. I saw ya at the drivers meeting... were ya too hung over from Paris to listen...? ya bent the heel out of our rear frame bad..bent it into our exhaust pipe ya hit us soo hard. Wise up .. it could be you nest time.

rlury

Reaction
i had an amazing week in baja had a great time with everyone. had no bad experiences while down there other than race problems. i did see a high speed chase through santo thomas while waiting for our prerunner to meet me there. a little beat up blue honda civic flew threw town with a policia truck on the gas after him kinda funny. all in all though it was a great week in baja looking forward for the baja mil.

dbart

Reaction
My first trip to the race was an epic one. My buddies and I went down Friday morning...left O.C at 4:15 a.m. and got to Ensenada by 8:15. checked out Tech inspection, had a cervesa or two then headed south to Erindera. 4 guys, 1 truck, 4 Xr 50's and 2 coolers...
Saturday morning got up early and decided since we had time before anyone would be by, since we were are mm 316, we'd take the 50's and ride to shipwreck.
"Dave how do we get there?"
"Don't worry, all thes dirt roads lead somewhere and you just end up there...!" 2+ hours later we end up on some farm and Tim is out of gas...almost. We think...let's just head back...about 1/4 mile away Tim's bike shuts off. Time for reserve and we turn around, back across the farm to hopefully a town called Punta Colonet to get gas.
We end up on another farm where about 6 kids come out of the woodwork and ask for stickers. We put them on our bikes, their faces lit up and they smiled. We asked if we could cross this private property..."si"
So, off again. Make it to the gas station and were told to head down the highway to the yellow church and go left. 2 miles in, I get a rear flat and ride the remaining 10+ miles on a rear flat.
We take a break at a small pit stop where we see the 3x bike come in with a front flat...swaped out in minutes then gone. We only had a mile to go...partially on the course. "just keep right"
We end up back at our camp where Baja Pit's had a post..I roll in, they wave me up, one guy with 2 water bottles, another with a wrench in hand. I tell them I got a rear flat, one guy tells me it's ok...it's only flat on the bottom and they all laugh.
Get back in time to see BJ baldwin fly by...then a heated battle between Jeffries and Leduc.
The DA crew put on a show for the spectators too as they went by. Great race, great location, what more could you ask for...?
Thanks Tim, Jimmy and Dave for an Epic weekend.

db

ML Racer

Reaction
My first trip to the race was an epic one. My buddies and I went down Friday morning...left O.C at 4:15 a.m. and got to Ensenada by 8:15. checked out Tech inspection, had a cervesa or two then headed south to Erindera. 4 guys, 1 truck, 4 Xr 50's and 2 coolers...
Saturday morning got up early and decided since we had time before anyone would be by, since we were are mm 316, we'd take the 50's and ride to shipwreck.
"Dave how do we get there?"
"Don't worry, all thes dirt roads lead somewhere and you just end up there...!" 2+ hours later we end up on some farm and Tim is out of gas...almost. We think...let's just head back...about 1/4 mile away Tim's bike shuts off. Time for reserve and we turn around, back across the farm to hopefully a town called Punta Colonet to get gas.
We end up on another farm where about 6 kids come out of the woodwork and ask for stickers. We put them on our bikes, their faces lit up and they smiled. We asked if we could cross this private property..."si"
So, off again. Make it to the gas station and were told to head down the highway to the yellow church and go left. 2 miles in, I get a rear flat and ride the remaining 10+ miles on a rear flat.
We take a break at a small pit stop where we see the 3x bike come in with a front flat...swaped out in minutes then gone. We only had a mile to go...partially on the course. "just keep right"
We end up back at our camp where Baja Pit's had a post..I roll in, they wave me up, one guy with 2 water bottles, another with a wrench in hand. I tell them I got a rear flat, one guy tells me it's ok...it's only flat on the bottom and they all laugh.
Get back in time to see BJ baldwin fly by...then a heated battle between Jeffries and Leduc.
The DA crew put on a show for the spectators too as they went by. Great race, great location, what more could you ask for...?Thanks Tim, Jimmy and Dave for an Epic weekend.

db

That Missing Lenk would have made it to your camp, waved and finished first in Class 1