Baja 500, Take open or enclosed trailers?

Torchmate

Reaction
Are we better off taking open flatbed trailers for prerunner and race truck or the big enclosed one? I heard that you have to completely unload at the checkpoints if it is enclosed, but seems like everything is awfully exposed in the pickups and on the flatbed. Anybody have some guidance?

Thanks!!!

El_Dude

Reaction
we take the enclosed trailer and never had a problem at the checkpoints. they just make you open it to look.. we like the enclosed better so people can't just stick their fingers and help themselves out.. specialy when you park in town..

Code3

Reaction
If you can I would take one of each. Take the enclosed for the race truck and all your extra gear so you can keep it locked up and you things out of sight. I always like taking at least one flat bed to be pulled behind a chase vehicle incase you have to go in the desert and tow a prerunner or race vehicle out.

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Reaction
How big is the "big enclosed trailer"?

Torchmate

Reaction
40' fifth wheel. Definitely planned on bringing one of the flat beds too in case we need to go fetch a truck out of the desert. We just had the enclosed trailer wrapped a couple of months ago. It is not exactly the most discreet thing. Good, because it will get a lot of attention and Bad, because it will get a lot of attention. :confused:

Stimpy

Reaction
You might have a problem with the 40' enclosed. They might want you to cross at the commercial crossing. If the trailer is wrapped. You can cross a hundred times one way and then "BAM!" They screw you all up. The commercial crossing is a pain! You will need a complete list of everything in your trailer and a broker.
I had to wait at the crossing for six hours because we had a Kawasaki "Mule" on the manifest. The lady kept wanting to see the burro! When we would point at the "Mule" she would shake her head and say, "Nada....Burro?"

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
To me the worst part about anything enclosed is that you will definitely get sent to secondary and probably the gamma ray thingy mabob when you cross back into the US......

It really stinks to get to the In-n-Out right as the rest of the team is leaving and ate up all the double double's............

How does that happen anyways? I mean how do you possibly eat ALL the burgers at an In-n-Out??? Holy Cow!!!

OffroadExit

Pistol Pete's Personal Pot Stirrer
Reaction
Took an enclosed through the Tecate crossing. Got pulled into secondary. They did a visual inspection, had us open a few boxes of team shirts and sent us on our way. Only problem is the corners are tight getting through.

Shaggy

Reaction
Took an enclosed through the Tecate crossing. Got pulled into secondary. They did a visual inspection, had us open a few boxes of team shirts and sent us on our way. Only problem is the corners are tight getting through.
How long did it take to reach entrance?

Giant Geoff

Reaction
Crossing the boarder they pull you into secondary more often with an enclosed but it’s no big deal, there are looking for things you may be trying to sell, when they see its race stuff you get true fast after a visual.
On you way back true the toll road the military is looking for illegal things, when they come to your window just smile, act festive and they do a quiche shake down and you’re off to seat in line for hours.

scary fast hummer

Reaction
Crossing the boarder they pull you into secondary more often with an enclosed but it’s no big deal, there are looking for things you may be trying to sell, when they see its race stuff you get true fast after a visual.
On you way back true the toll road the military is looking for illegal things, when they come to your window just smile, act festive and they do a quiche shake down and you’re off to seat in line for hours.

You got it. I've done border crossings in the middle east that would make your eyes water. The best thing in the world is be friendly and helpful. DON'T get pissy or angry, that only makes it worse. Remember that they are usually just underpaid guys trying to do thier job.
(PS. In Morocco, a tenner under a pack of Marlboro's stacked on top of the paperwork on the dash did wonders...;-)

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Reaction
I will NEVER have a wrapped trailer again they get so much attention you can't change lanes on the freeway as everyone sits in the lane you need looking at the thing like their being milked causing missed exits :mad: then every where you stop some smuck wants to talk about the contents for an hour while you trying to get fuel and a pee. Your also garanteed a viset to secondary for the usual steekers & t shirts What a pain in the a $$

Wendell #527

Reaction
I've used my enclosed trailer there and traffic is the biggest headache. None of the toll check points even glanced at it, and coming back we had to pull up and wait for about 2 minutes. A border patrol guy stuck his head in, asked us what was in the ice chests, and then he left. No biggie. As for traffic, make sure you have your chase crew around you going through TJ (if you go that way). They can stay behind you and beside you and let you in when you need to change lanes. We worked together communicating with the race radios and it was a big help. Actually next time I'm not going through TJ anyway. I would not want my race car on an open trailer down there, though.

Torchmate

Reaction
I will NEVER have a wrapped trailer again they get so much attention you can't change lanes on the freeway as everyone sits in the lane you need looking at the thing like their being milked causing missed exits :mad: then every where you stop some smuck wants to talk about the contents for an hour while you trying to get fuel and a pee.
I hear you! Attached are pictures of the truck and trailer both before and after the wrap. It was driven all over the country for six months before the wrap and never got pulled over once. Now, we have been pulled over twice in two months for being commercial and needing a Class A license. We got out of it both times, but it sure eats up a lot of time. Now that it is done though, I hate to tear it off. I just don't know how bad it will hurt us getting back and forth across the border.

Attachments

Laurie

Reaction
We usually have them peek in the trailer as we cross into Mexico, no big deal. One time we had 3 brand new radios from PCI still in the box, we hadn't had time to install them and they made us return to the states to "install" them. We might be planning on selling them. We threw them in a truck not pulling a trailer and went back through. This time they didn't even stop us.

JD Durfey

Reaction
you might have a problem with the 40' enclosed. They might want you to cross at the commercial crossing. If the trailer is wrapped. You can cross a hundred times one way and then "bam!" they screw you all up. The commercial crossing is a pain! You will need a complete list of everything in your trailer and a broker.
I had to wait at the crossing for six hours because we had a kawasaki "mule" on the manifest. The lady kept wanting to see the burro! When we would point at the "mule" she would shake her head and say, "nada....burro?"
welcome to mexico!!!!

JD Durfey

Reaction
You will definately have to go through the commercial crossing with that trailer. I think the law is that anything over 18 feet is supposed to cross there. The 05 1000 was the first time I rode with Hooters and we had a 22 foot trailer inclosed trailer that we needed to take down. So I read on SCORE's website that we needed to use the broker and go through the commercial crossing. So I lined everything up using the broker that SCORE suggested and sent the guys that way. It took them all day, cuz the broker had all the paperwork wrong and they barely got in. From then on we have just used the regular crossing with that trailer. We have never been given a hard time about its size, they just wanted to peek in and let us go. Giving out posters and stickers helps.

WickedGravityVideo

Reaction
Military Checkpoint Tip #256: If the guys point to or pay special attention to your cooler/icechest, it might mean they are hinting at a complimentary cold coke or other non-alcoholic beverage. I usually offer the guys a coke and they always take it..... good diplomacy.

m80ondirt

Reaction
Military Checkpoint Tip #256: If the guys point to or pay special attention to your cooler/icechest, it might mean they are hinting at a complimentary cold coke or other non-alcoholic beverage. I usually offer the guys a coke and they always take it..... good diplomacy.
Those young soldiers are always thirsty!!! This is a great suggestion!