Baja 500

Crusty Shellback

RDC Crypto
its all about training your body to stay cool for extended periods, not just muscle conditioning, after 2 west pacs on a carrier, it took about 2 - 3 weeks to really ' get in the groove' of sweating yo a$$ off for 16 hours straight, i would trane by driving around in a hoody, windows up, heater full blast, a good two weeks of that & mx riding, racing cars was EZ gravey
Carriers were easy.
Should have tried the tin cans. :cool:

Crusty Shellback

RDC Crypto
Bikes are harder. The direct sunlight just takes it out of you. Even one get-off and it’s really hard to get back on and get going especially after 100 miles of heat pounding on you.
Even riding on the street in 100 plus heat will get you. Stopped and soaked my shirt trying to cool down. Worked for a bit. One of the worst rides I did on my Harley, and only 200 miles.

Advertising supports this site

EasyE

RDC Crypto
Really? Thats why the race starts at 7pm at night Because its to hot to race in the day. haha.
uh, it's not a night race. The CODE one last weekend was. RECORD Ens-San Felipe end of June is definitely a day race. Old flyer, but same schedule every year.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 9.42.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 9.42.39 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Honda48X

RDC Crypto
Your right it is a day race and will be one hot race. I would hope they are not laughing. I live here in San Felipe and I know many Mexican racers who talk about the heat and the dangers of dehydration. If you think the opposite then you are fooling yourself.

EasyE

RDC Crypto
Your right it is a day race and will be one hot race. I would hope they are not laughing. I live here in San Felipe and I know many Mexican racers who talk about the heat and the dangers of dehydration. If you think the opposite then you are fooling yourself.
Not saying they are literally laughing LOL I’m saying that the race intentionally goes through SF every year and people look forward to it and no one says move it or why doesn’t it run up the coast. Of course it takes prep and consideration for the heat. We’re prepping 2 cars for locals racing it so I know the deal and definitely not fooling myself lol

Last edited:

BCarr

RDC Crypto
Clearly a bike.

Some good reading on heat prep:

IMHO, ambient condition acclimation should have already started before this topic was read here in this thread.

No joke, we all have experienced it. Even just prerunning. On the bike, no water since the bottom of the summit (and outside temps were now three digit), at the top of the lakebed my water tender ripped off a front arm and was now no good to me. Ripped to Borrego and spent some time passed out under a race car trailer, trying to figure chit out. Some chasers gave me a soda (no one had water!) and fuel, so off I went toward VDT, where around the bottom of San Matias wash I found help coming south to tend to the truck. Lots of wrong unfolded as the day progressed.

Even with the best plans with well thought contingencies, you never know what can happen. In Baja, "it" can unfold in ways you can't dream of.

Momma nature is too powerful. Make a plan, think it through, prepare it deep, and execute only what you need to win. Stay super safe and best of luck to all B500 competitors!

Baja Bryan

RDC Crypto
Did all the course and it’s going to be a good race. Second half will be very technical. If your in a 2wd prerunner rm 235 before check 1 can be a problem and bottle neck spot if a truck breaks there. I think will come down to least amount of flat tires wins it. Also who puts in most homework will have advantage. 😎

rakso

RDC Crypto
Did all the course and it’s going to be a good race. Second half will be very technical. If your in a 2wd prerunner rm 235 before check 1 can be a problem and bottle neck spot if a truck breaks there. I think will come down to least amount of flat tires wins it. Also who puts in most homework will have advantage. 😎
Between RM235 and RM240. Noted.

B.HAGLE

Solutions
RDC Crypto

How is that little climb they threw in right at the end? Sandy?

Total Loss

RDC Crypto
A bike is definitely tougher. It has been a few years since I raced or rode through there, but the sand and rocks were pretty tough when I did it last. While sitting in a car gets hot, it doesn't tax the body as much as the bike does.

There are a lot more overweight car and truck drivers than bike guys. That simple example tells me which is more difficult.

Edit: I pre-ran the Summit section for the 05 B1000 with a first time Baja racer who was a team mate. He was on a XR 650 and I was on my KX 500. I let him lead and I caught up to him after the lake bed and he was slumped over the bars. I asked what was wrong and he responded with "this is the most difficult thing I've ever done in my life" He was a 6 time Ironman Triathlon finisher and one of the most in-shape guys I'd ever met. But when it came to riding in Baja and all it entails, he was beat! I took him to the coast the next day and he did much better, and even though it would be night during the race, that's the section he raced. He was perfectly happy with 50 miles over there instead of the 100 miles in the desert.
Yep...always said...best way to train for motodez was motodez in the heat...always my training regimen...that and 100 plus degree days on the bicycle riding long hills...nearly every day...road and mtb...Never had a heat exhaustion issue.
When my head was on fire I knew I was pushing it...