Baja 500

Advertising supports this site

Chris_Wilson

RDC Crypto
Nothing abusive nor unsportsman-like in that video. Looks like standard practice from what I've seen in SCORE over the last 25 years.
I did not see any cages caved in or other damage indicative of an abusive nerf.

jon coleman

in n out.double double w cheese
RDC Crypto
Much safer to pass an unaware driver after a slight squeeze of their balls / bumper .
in a way , if you can pounce before they can think, it Is safer, if you hesitate , & start over thinking the pass, it snow balls into both drivers stuck together in a hesitating cluster fk, dont think , just do, its standard race tactics in roundy round, turn the 'over- thinking' brain off ,& turn on reflex& experience

BigTallBastard

RDC Crypto
There's been quite a bit of discussions and opinions on nerfing, bumping, hitting, call it what you want, over the last few months. We all agree nerfing is part of the sport provided it's done in a reasonable manner, which I think most racers are in agreement with.

The video, as I saw it, showed nothing but hit after hit then some justifications for the hits in the following posts. Granted you are unable to see whether or not P2P was used and ignored, how long they had been following and the car in front refused to move, didn't realize they were behind, pulled a jackrabbit, etc... but it appears to me there was no horn or siren which in my experience is an indicator there was probably no use of the P2P as well.... just my experience, those who were in the car can dispute this if I'm incorrect, I'm just going off experience.

The perception of the video,hit after hit, after hit, seems to be just a "look at me, I'll hit anyone who gets in my way, I can catch, is having a bad day or whatever," is a poor example of racing etiquette in my humble opinion. Have I hit plenty of cars over the years, absolutely, have i been hit plenty of times, yes. Have I ever posted a video from my races based on my "hit count" highlights? F-no, and I can't think of anyone else who has (maybe i missed it) so feel free to correct me if there is.

It was said previously the course was one lined 75% of the time with no where to pass. Well a smart driver would also realize that means 75% of the time there was no where to move over to let you by. Patience is something that comes with age and experience. In the heat of the moment we tend to get tunnel vision, doesn't mean your a bad guy, our judgement just gets clouded sometimes. Maybe, just maybe this was one of those cases?

*the "pushing" I do have an issue with. We all know as your pushing the car in front, your taking the weight off the rear wheels thus making the car your pushing very unstable. Lighten them up enough, your going to possibly send them into a barrel roll or into a crowd of spectators on the side of the course, which you could not see from being so tight up to the back of their car. Just not a good scenario.
Please....

offroadracer516

RDC Crypto
Website
www.race-dezert.com
Move or get moved. The co rider is in the car for a reason. Pay attention to the mirrors. Nothing wrong with that video. That's how it should be done in this sport. No excessive damage. Just hits that make people MOVE. Exactly how I have been taught for over 30 years now. THIS is a contact sport. Always has been.

jon coleman

in n out.double double w cheese
RDC Crypto
Move or get moved. The co rider is in the car for a reason. Pay attention to the mirrors. Nothing wrong with that video. That's how it should be done in this sport. No excessive damage. Just hits that make people MOVE. Exactly how I have been taught for over 30 years now. THIS is a contact sport. Always has been.
but but , the weight difference between utv& 6100, 🐒😵🐒😵🐒, the utv can get dammmaged and crash nerfing a slow 6100!!!( MTP, your up

JerryB

RDC Crypto
Agreed.....no one said desert racing is a symphony, it's a mosh pit. But good question from @Honda48X..... your profile says you're 33?

AZ7000'

RDC Crypto
And you are how old. Don’t lie.. just say in all my years racing.

Agreed.....no one said desert racing is a symphony, it's a mosh pit. But good question from @Honda48X..... your profile says you're 33?
Come on guys, my kid is 2 1/2 here, the next day we practiced nerfing and the chrome horn!!

offroadracer516

RDC Crypto
Website
www.race-dezert.com
And you are how old. Don’t lie.. just say in all my years racing.
I am 33. My family started doing this in 1976. We have never stopped. Dave-co....
131152834_3493775794009037_2859886965010242372_n (1).jpg

offroadracer516

RDC Crypto
Website
www.race-dezert.com
Obviously if you can go around its faster. But if they are in the way. They fully deserve the hit. Those are badges of honor if they are fast drivers IMO. Honking makes people run. Usually into the better and faster line. Push to pass?? They barely move when tapped let alone that lol A nice firm thump is the best way to get people to move.

E.Hagle

RDC Crypto
In barely 2 years of racing I’ve noticed a few things pertaining to this category.

50/50 guys run when you hit the push 2 pass when you aren’t completely on their ass yet. They look in the mirror, see nothing, hit every berm and drive as fast as possible to ditch you.
Guys will pull over almost every time when you get on their ass first, and then hit the button, hit the lights and corider is on the horn.

In the 4 times I’ve been bumped,
one crumbled the rear cage ( UTV at 2020 ss300 )
Another one spun spun and crumbled half of the cage ( 2021 Baja 500 10 car )
2 insignificant bumps

I think my brother has also had the rear cage crumbled definitely once, maybe twice.

So 50% of the time it costed us $1200 because someone was impatient for us to find a spot to pull over out of the dust. I could name names but I won’t. I guess it’s part of it. I definitely show patience with guys because I don’t want to be a dick and have some hotshot come back to get me one day, I don’t want to get my car tangled up in another car accidentally, I also don’t want to force someone into an error. If I caught them through the dust, I can definitely stick to their ass in way less dust for 30 seconds while they find somewhere to pull over. Every situation is different and I’m sure there’s times where the job just needs to get done to get out of nauseating dust. I.e. climbing uruapan in someone’s dust at night for 20 minutes leaves very little empathy in my soul.

Last but not least, accidents happen when you go to give someone a bump. In soft sand rollers I had a guy who looked like he wasn’t going to pull over after a while, gave him the light, went to give him the tap, he hit the brakes, soft sand he slowed very quickly, and I smacked him harder than I wanted to and spun him off into the cactus. I thought they were going to kill me at the podium. Complete accident.

Last edited:

NIKAL

RDC Crypto
We tried to use the 1000 last year as leverage with score since Chase and us finished pretty well and more where we typically run. But here we are. One race isn’t enough.

You can’t fault Grabowski for pushing hard. The 500s usually (obviously) have bottlenecks. You can win the race by being the first to the bottleneck. Plus I know those guys like to see where they can finish on the O/A.
They could enter the 5 car in class 1. Less cars in their way and if they are about seeing where they finish OA, then starting up front will help that too! But they better watch there mirrors.

Surf_2_Dirt

RDC Crypto
As was mentioned previously, some parts of the course are super one-lined. Sometimes it’s not as simple as just hitting someone and having them move over. In those situations, you come off as just being an over aggressive A-hole.

Last edited: