Baja 500

jon coleman

in n out.double double w cheese
RDC Crypto
theses also make Great shade, carry a few& some of those spring loaded folder/ file clamps& you have instant shade, especially for the moto guys

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    7.4 KB · Views: 0

Honda48X

RDC Crypto
This was yesterday coming down from Mexicali in that desert. Check out the temperature and everyone should know where this is. The bottom is approaching the Military check point and Hwy 3 and the other is by the Mine. 105 at the Mine and 104 by the Military. Bike riders better start hydrating now until race day.
5E0E9DD3-C931-4882-BE97-4899AB47AB84.jpeg
9600CED2-8300-471E-801A-DC2C6E452712.jpeg

Last edited:
Advertising supports this site

jon coleman

RDC Crypto
3 pm,^, how is temps rest of the day?, a dry 105° at 3 pm aint bad, it'll still weed out the out of shape guys, but its manageable

B.HAGLE

Solutions
RDC Crypto
Rumor has it that for whatever reason San Quintin and Score are feuding and that Score is doing everything possible to stay out of that area. Don’t expect a coast run until that’s settled.

That's a crappy reason to not run across the mountains and back to the pacific.

Last edited:

B.HAGLE

Solutions
RDC Crypto
I would estimate 3 hours for the fast guys and 4-5 hours for the slower guys. So they should be through there before it gets extremely hot.

What do you think is tougher... being on a bike or driving a buggy through there in a fire suit and sealed helmet? I've done both. I think the bike might be tougher.

JDDurfey

RDC Crypto
What do you think is tougher... being on a bike or driving a buggy through there in a fire suit and sealed helmet? I've done both. I think the bike might be tougher.
A bike is definitely tougher. It has been a few years since I raced or rode through there, but the sand and rocks were pretty tough when I did it last. While sitting in a car gets hot, it doesn't tax the body as much as the bike does.

There are a lot more overweight car and truck drivers than bike guys. That simple example tells me which is more difficult.

Edit: I pre-ran the Summit section for the 05 B1000 with a first time Baja racer who was a team mate. He was on a XR 650 and I was on my KX 500. I let him lead and I caught up to him after the lake bed and he was slumped over the bars. I asked what was wrong and he responded with "this is the most difficult thing I've ever done in my life" He was a 6 time Ironman Triathlon finisher and one of the most in-shape guys I'd ever met. But when it came to riding in Baja and all it entails, he was beat! I took him to the coast the next day and he did much better, and even though it would be night during the race, that's the section he raced. He was perfectly happy with 50 miles over there instead of the 100 miles in the desert.

Last edited:

jon coleman

RDC Crypto
im still recuperating from 50 miles of the d38 sand blast race, & that was fluffy easy Superstition mountain sand, cars are Waaay easier, just un zipp fire suit, grab plastic water bottle, dump, cool , drive on, bikes?, fugetaboutit

jon coleman

RDC Crypto
You need to train in the heat if you are going to race or pit in the heat. Going from a desk job to the desert doesn't work to well.
You need to train in the heat if you are going to race or pit in the heat. Going from a desk job to the desert doesn't work to well.
its all about training your body to stay cool for extended periods, not just muscle conditioning, after 2 west pacs on a carrier, it took about 2 - 3 weeks to really ' get in the groove' of sweating yo a$$ off for 16 hours straight, i would trane by driving around in a hoody, windows up, heater full blast, a good two weeks of that & mx riding, racing cars was EZ gravey

Honda48X

RDC Crypto
Bikes are harder. The direct sunlight just takes it out of you. Even one get-off and it’s really hard to get back on and get going especially after 100 miles of heat pounding on you.

JDDurfey

RDC Crypto
Bikes are harder. The direct sunlight just takes it out of you. Even one get-off and it’s really hard to get back on and get going especially after 100 miles of heat pounding on you.
x100 on the "one get-off" part. Even if you stall the bike and have to kick start it can be brutal in the blazing heat. Most have the E button these days, but picking yourself up, then picking up a 650, and restarting it takes a lot of energy that should have been used getting down the course.

Riding smart is the name of the game in the heat. Slow down and don't make mistakes. Mistakes are costly in time and energy. I caught a guy near Borrego that I was quite a bit faster than, he changed lines right in front of me and I blew a turn avoiding a collision and tipped over. By the time I got up and going again it took me 10 plus miles to catch the guy again. I wasted a ton of energy too.

michael.gonzalez

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
+1

6.5 mile hikes in 90F weather is all I can expose myself too for now. Need to go back to my hometown of 120F lol

fastfelix

RDC Crypto
Rumor has it that for whatever reason San Quintin and Score are feuding and that Score is doing everything possible to stay out of that area. Don’t expect a coast run until that’s settled.

As a construction worker that spent a chunk of time building bridges and freeways out in the Indio/Palm Springs area here’s a quote from a fellow Ironworker we called Bad Brains. “Fun in the sun and income too!”
What you from my hood?