Baja 650 quad

Jimmy8

Need some help out here. I am thinking about getting one of those new Bombardier Baja 650 quads. Suposedly it has 25% more HP and 15% more torque than a raptor. The suspension is supposed to be awesome and I even think it comes with beadlocks stock. I was wondering if any of you have ridden one, and what you think, because it is supposed to walk away from the raptor hands down in all situations.

Trophy Truck #15
Class 8 #8080

Mike_HKmtrsprts

I was looking at those when I bought my new Banshee, they had way less rebound than the other model and ajustable tie rods and 12" of front instead of 11" not like 1" is alot.. I like the autometer tach on it though, as far as walking away from the raptor there was a guy this weekend that was racing everyone at the drags at glamis and he kept getting spanked by the raptors... so look into it alot before you buy personally i like the raptors better just by looks and there is a company that makes some nice LT arms for the raptor that I saw and they make HID's for them too... :)

shroom27

Well...I've got a Raptor and spank ds650's all day. Go to Glamis and you'll see it time and time again. From lots of observation, it doesn't seem like those ds650's seem to give that rush. They give up 10 cc's and weigh almost 70 lbs. more than a Raptor. Oh yeah...and those ugly front fenders!

I was out at Gordon's Well a few weeks ago, testing for Bill's Pipes and damn...Raptor's have a lot of power out of the box, but new pipes made it a different machine! Pulled very hard from low to top end. Should get a few more hp when I change the air filter and go up another jet size or two.

Oh yeah...Dirtwheels magazine did a shoot-out between all the sport quads a few months ago. The Raptor won unanimously and took no lower than 2nd place in all the different categories they tested. That salesman must really need to get rid of that ds650 from their inventory to say that they walk away from Raptor's hands down...jajaja

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Raptors look a lot better. My neighbor has one of those Bombs. and they are ugly in IMHO. If you are gonna drop that kind of change it should at least look good.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.animalhousedesigns.net>Animal House</A>

Jimmy8

Havent talked to any salesmen, but I have been looking at them for a few months now. I know some people with raptors and they love them but just dont know anyone with a baja to compare. The IRL race this weekend that I went to in phoenix was sponsored by bombardeir and all they could talk about all weekend over the intercom and at the booth was that quad.

Trophy Truck #15
Class 8 #8080

shroom27

That right there just might be an indicator of what's better...you know several people that have Raptors and love them but none with a Bombardier! (I don't know anybody with a DS650 personally, either) Also, think about the aftermarket support that the Raptor has compared to the ds650.

pjc

Chairman
The Raptor is not a good handling quad.I had one and was not impressed. Minimaly, you need wider arms and rear axle. I would think that the Bomardier quad is far superior in the desert in stock trim but not as good on say "Comp Hill" as a Raptor. If ya want a real ride, find an old Suzuki LT500 :Quadzilla". I have one that is rediculously fast with mild motorwork.

PJCinLV

Ryno

Pat-

Do you have Mr. Dunes old LT500? His was wickedly insane. I remember seeing the buildup, and then seeing him at Glamis...I felt almost embarrased to ride my 410cc banshee.

I will agree that the Raptor doesn't handle great, but that has alot do to with power-weight ratio. I've seen banshees spank those 650's all day as well. I wonder what a 400ex would do next to one? Put your $$$ into the raptor, more aftermarket availibility, and looks like it will eat every other quad out there.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

fishd00d

What A Joke
My friend has a Raptor that is built just about as much as it can be and oh man is this thing sweet! He has not been beeten by anyone up Blow Sand in Ocotillo Wells or the Comp Hill at Pismo!

I'll see if I can get some pics and mod list.

Go Big Or Go Home

Vtr_Racing

I must say that having tested both the Raptor and the DS650, the Raptor would get my money. Little on the heavy side for my taste but you have to consider what you will be using it for. Play riding or lite racing on occasion or whatever. Where you you ride should also be taken into consideration. Good luck.....Vtr Racing

Speed Safely

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
I totally love my Raptor! Even with only the stock rubber in the rear I was able to keep up with Banshee's on comp hill at Glamis and they all had paddles, pipes etc.... As for handing I am not disapointed. I have gone out on high speed dune runs with a Banshee's and 250r fourtrax's and had no problem doing everything they did and with power to spare!

Tony
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.y-not-productions.com>www.y-not-productions.com</A>

pjc

Chairman
Hi Ryno,

Nope, that one on our site is mine. I bought it as a basket case. Ed helped a whole bunch with many undocumented techniques on the assembly.

I don't ride it enough. My kids all want it but, I told them they'd have to start it first. Thr oldest may have the ability in about 6 years.

PJCinLV
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by pjc on 03/20/02 07:42 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

pjc

Chairman
Let me take this further..

THE RAPTOR HANDLES LIKE CRAP!

It is top heavey and has a rediculously narrow rear axle. It will tip, high side and pitch you off without warning.

Many of the parts (originally from the street bike) are far from up to the task that an ATV and it's wide tires present. In particular, the clutch is very weak and I have heard a lot about blown transmissions. At the Baja 2000, any Raptor that finished, came in after mucho work. I remember one guy telling me that the frame basically came apart in numerous places. If you do buy one, you'll have to replace the plastic swing arm skid plate in a matter of hours of hard desert riding.

As a bottom line, IMHO the Raptor was released too soon with too many shortcuts on quality, heavy duty parts. Perhaps it was ment to be this way because the bike is surely heaven for the aftermarket commmunity.

The 400ex is a far better handling bike and has proven to be much, much more reliable. Watch for Hondas big bore quad coming soon.

I don't know a thing about the reliability of the DS650.

PJCinLV

Doug_Powell

I have ridden the normal Bombardier DS 650, the Raptor and a 400EX. The 650 is my favorite just because it is slightly bigger in every dimension (but also heavier), but since Im 6' 5" and 235 pounds, its my favorite. I debated these 3 quad's aspects and characteristics with Cain Smead at the Baja 2000. Cain writes for Dirt Wheels mag which is a Hi Torque Publication and he also rode a Raptor at the Baja 2000 to 2nd or 3rd place in the ATV Pro class. Basically all 3 have their advantages, it just depends on what your needs are. A 400EX is light and great out at the dunes. The Raptor has a screaming motor also has reverse, but it cost more. The DS 650, is a quad I considered buying and using to prerun with down in Baja, but I ended getting an XR400 bike instead so I can carry another bike of a team mates in my truck. Besides liking the DS 650 because of it size and extra wheel travel, I felt it was just going to be more reliable. It has a 530 chain which is about 40% stronger than the 520 chains on the Raptor and 400EX. Granted you can upgrade any quad, but things like that are just more noticeable on the DS650. Also the seat extends all the way forward for when your not standing up, so your knees have a nice cushion to hug for comfort. The wider track also makes it a bit more stable at high speeds. Just my thoughts from my experience...

Waldo

Safehouse
Jimmy, what are you going to use it for?

*The 400ex is good for playing around the dez and dunes
*The raptor is functional and has more power and you can modify it quite a bit
*The 650 is stable at high speed but might not have the modification capabilities/availablity as the others.

I have only ridden the 400ex and the raptor and like the raptor better for my weight and height (5'11'' and 225lbs). The 650's dry weight is about 65 more pounds than the raptor and puts out only 4 more horses! Is that worth it? With all your oil and gas and extras, your looking at about 500 pounds for the 650.

I would suggest finding a used Raptor if you don't want to shell out the dough for a new one. These four strokes are all extremely reliable. The water-cooled motors are strong and deliver good power. Good luck hunting!

BRAAAAAAAAP!

Jimmy8

Most likely whatever I get will remain in stock form for the exeption of a twist throttle. I don't do much dune action, and it will be mostly used here in Parker, desert racing type stuff. I currently have a 250x quad. It is the most reliable quad ever. its an 88 model, looks like new, and have never had to do anything but change oil and spark plugs. I guess you could say it is the predecessor to the 400ex. I want a big motor, so thats why I am thinking 650 over the 400ex, and want wheel travel, so thats why I was thinking the baja over the raptor. I dont want a two stroke. Have ridden a banshee and love it, but its too much maintenance for me and I dont dig mixing gas. I like being able to fill a quad with pump gas or whatever is laying around the shop, mainly 110 race gas.

Trophy Truck #15
Class 8 #8080

pjc

Chairman
Jimmy,

With your discription on how you use it in mind, I say get the 650. It is far, far superior in the dez in stock trim to the Raptor. The 400ex is close though and those are darned inexpensive when purchased used.

What are you going to do with your 250? Those are simply superb quads. Probably the best ever built.

Also, have you concidered a Cannondale? They seem to becoming on strong!

PJCinLV

slowguy

Secrets revealed: The new bomb for the dez quads is a EX-400 kitted out with a CRF-450 mill. Mucho gusto go fasto.....and still handles. Costs less than 10K to build.

Jimmy8

I will be keeping the 250x. My dad and brother ride it a lot. In my opinion one of the best quads ever made though. I am just wanting something with a bigger motor.

Trophy Truck #15
Class 8 #8080