Baja Atlas (paper map)

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
A year ago I got to drag trailers around Mexico prerunning the 1000 with Johnny Campbell. Philo and I are trying to add waypoints to the GPS for course access for chasing on race day and JC pulls out what was basically a Baja Thomas Guide. It had ballpoint pen all over the pages and notes and arrows and what not. A compilation of notations and scribblings by Bajas best. It was his bible sorta. Every time we stopped and met up on the pre run Johnny would pull out the map book.

Its my understanding that the one he had has been out of print for some time. my google searches have led me to believe that all the ones they make now are not that great. Is there a current and "good one"? Because that's a thing I want.

desertspeed

Reaction
Are you talking about the Baja California Almanac?
They are no longer in publication, and as you can see are pretty expensive if you can find one. I happen to have some original Baja Norte and Baja Sur versions from the 90's (they used to be separate) as well as a combined version like the one on Amazon. I guess I should list them for sale.....

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
They are no longer in publication, and as you can see are pretty expensive if you can find one. I happen to have some original Baja Norte and Baja Sur versions from the 90's (they used to be separate) as well as a combined version like the one on Amazon. I guess I should list them for sale.....
your Pic is not loading for me. Im not sure what it was called but ill find out next week. I do know that they fetch a pretty decent price now a days so it was somewhat vintage.
I just want a new good one. That's hopefully not mega bucks.

RanchoPacific Motorsports

Reaction
A few years ago I found a site that had some so I bought 3 copies. I gave 1 away, I use 1, and still have 1 new in the package.

Zambo

Reaction
I have a Baja Almanac. Its a pretty cool book, but IMO not nearly as useful as the newer digital stuff. Lately what I've been doing is using Google earth to plot out trails I want to take a look at, and saving the file as a .kml and sending it to my phone and tablet for use with maps.me app. Pretty easy to use, has a nice onboard background map, and its always in your pocket.

Reaction
^^^ That's real similar to the thoughts of many SAR subjects.

LantanaTX

Reaction
We have used digital files that show every road/trail in Baja loaded into our Lowrance with the course map.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

43mod

Reaction
Will we ever get a map/file/gps etc that print expands as you zoom in ? Seems like that would be high on most over 50 peoples list.

PaulW

Reaction
Paper maps are hard to come by and the result is most everyone has migrated to electronic maps. Like GPS and tablets. There are many apps that do an ok job of mapping. However, none are as good as the Almanac. Most recent version is 2009. Using device apps is the subject of another thread.

The Almanac are all out of print for many years. Look on Ebay and Amazon for the remaining copies. I have seen prices near $200 or more for the sought-after Almanac. The PDF version is no longer available due to legal issues.

Here is a link that discusses some options, but most Baja desert people use the Almanac.

BajaNomad - maps - best road map? best topo map? - Powered by XMB

Without a doubt the Baja Almanac is the best. It comes in a book like format. The creator is now dead, and the family holds the copyright and are not allowing reprints. The link shows pics of the book version.

The same author also sold a fold out map with a reduced size of the large format. I have never seen any for sale on line.

Here is and image of the foldout version

Attachments