Baja Bug help

Hello all I am not sure where to ask this question so I thought I would ask it here. I am in the process of building my baja bug into an off road machine and I have some front end questions. So i purchased a new beam that is 8" wider than the stock beam and I was also planning on buying longer/wider arms for the front also. My question is with longer arms will I need to move my beam up to keep my wheel base? If I buy arms that are 2" longer will I need to move my beam up 2"? Honestly I have a lot more questions so any information regarding the front end build will help me (should I put a tilt on my beam to make it less squirmy, off road?, what to do for shock towers, and what rack I should use ,etc) Also if you guys could post pictures of your front ends that would be very helpful! Thanks for the help and sorry for not being super specific on what I need.

One-Eyed Peter

No need to be sorry. Get this book on Amazon. It is like a 100 years old, but still pretty relevant. Also think about what your intentions are, as far as the driving and/or racing you'll be doing. There are an infinite number of ways to build a Baja Bug.
B1Krc1OunaS.jpg

No need to be sorry. Get this book on Amazon. It is like a 100 years old, but still pretty relevant. Also think about what your intentions are, as far as the driving and/or racing you'll be doing. There are an infinite number of ways to build a Baja Bug.
View attachment 202889
Thanks I will definitely purchase this book and give it a look through! Also I am going for a desert racer while still being a daily. For example I put in a 15 gallon aluminum fuel cell where the rear seat is so I can put a radiator in the front but I am keeping the windows in it because I want to be able to park it and drive it places without having to worry about someone taking something.

Bert is my name

Moving the beam forward will depend on what you do with the rear end as well. If you want a stockish wheel base and are using 3x3 trailing arms , then no you don't need to. But, more wheel base will help. Move it forward. Also tire size and how it fits in the wheel well when bottom and turning will tell you what the car wants.

Moving the beam forward will depend on what you do with the rear end as well. If you want a stockish wheel base and are using 3x3 trailing arms , then no you don't need to. But, more wheel base will help. Move it forward. Also tire size and how it fits in the wheel well when bottom and turning will tell you what the car wants.
For the rear end I am going for the longer and wider stance. I think I am going to move the beam forward six inches at least. I was wondering how/where should I mount my power steering rack?

For the rear end I am going for the longer and wider stance. I think I am going to move the beam forward six inches at least. I was wondering how/where should I mount my power steering rack?

bullnerd

there it is!!, THATs the book that corrupted me, got it from orw centurys ago,any one else daydream this book to death??really its a bible of bugs, Very helpfull for your off road adventure
Absolutely! Bought it when it came out. Living in NJ that was the only access to baja bugs! Read every page.

Between that and Ron Fourniers fabricators handbook, I was an expert when I was 17!

I didn't know they revised it? I might have to buy it and re-read it!

burninfuel

The basic Baja is the perfect high school and beyond project.
1835 engine, then weber carb, headers.
We all did it and still doing it.
Out climbed new Chevy Blazers out in Lake Elsinore/ Riverside. Chevys had stock tires and open diffs and would spin one front and opposite rear.
Then bus trans, 091 or 5-6 rib, irs. Then 3-4 th close ratio.
Running Granddad hill on Fri-sat nights, bonfire and lots of beer

jon coleman

Yup, got mine at 13, no motor, dad said you wanna drive at 16?, get your a$$ to work, 3 " lift, bus trans& irs conversion, had some famous fab guy in harbison canyon do brackets, forgot his name, holly bug spray, engle110 cam, dp heads, sway away torsion bars, kyb rear shocks, heres the kicker, Bilstien front Shox!, Armstrong tires from. The price club, 30 gallon aluminum rear seat tank from buggy shop, funny, Never had enough money to fill it

Alright guys I have another question. So I am planning on running 35" tires and was wondering how much should I tilt my front beam back. I was planning on doing a 5 degree tilt back but I am not sure. Any suggestions?

Get a high paying gig and start working out! ;) 35's are gonna cost you money and weight.