Baja bug

Jcar89

Reaction
What’s up everyone
I recently purchased a 1974 Baja bug and I was told this car used to be raced in some of the Mexico races. I would like to race this bug on the U.S side. Can you guys give me some advice for getting into the racing scene?

Attachments

• 04A29FB9-F19A-4858-AF27-AFDC388450DE.jpeg
    04A29FB9-F19A-4858-AF27-AFDC388450DE.jpeg
    586.1 KB · Views: 366

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Looks like possibly a 5-1600 racer. I would start comparing parts on the car with parts allowed in the class to see where you sit, then figure out if you can afford to race it. Lots of cars built for the smaller series down in Mexico do not meet the rules for both safety and technical qualifications with promoters here in the States.

R. Gross

Reaction
I agree with Bro Gill. Start with reading the 5-1600 rule book and see where you car needs to be modified to meet the class. Once done get a plan together to make the car competitive without throwing good money after bad. Meaning, make sure all of your parts work together. I would suggest that you attend a 5-1600 race and take picture of all the cars and how they are set up as far as suspension, cockpit, spare tire location, etc. Then lay them out on a bench and pick and choose what set up you like and which cars were successful. Of course the driver and prep has a lot to do with it also. We had 28 cars at the last BAP race in October. That would have been a great place to see a lot of cars. SNORE just posted 5-1600 bonus money for the next BAP so there should be a good turn out. Good luck.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
One of the issues I see with a lot of the Mexico cars that aren't truly built race cars is, they put bigger shocks on the front, but still use the travel limited ball joint arms and spindles. Also they box the stock rear arms rather than running the class legal 1" longer arms. It's mostly a finance deal and they ge out and run the cars, but they are not competitive with built race cars. Trying to help you avoid the bottomless money pit.

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
Well it was already stated that gas tank won't pass tech inspections stateside. I'm guessing it was probably run in RECORD or CODE and because its sportsman was allowed to run that tank. I don't know what he paid for it but it's a bit far from being legal at SNORE where most 5/16s show up.

I know how much work was done to Ernie Negretes car to get it to where it finally won a championship, he told me the numbers...it isn't cheap.

cjohnson

Reaction
First thing I would do is make sure the chassis is good. Maybe get a chassis inspection from whatever race org you want to run. Make sure the roll cage is good before sinking too much money on new parts.

paranoid56

Reaction
Is ORAF still around? Id recommend taking it to Rulo to take a look if hes still there. Best 5/16 guy north of the border

ORAF is very much still around. Rulo is the man to go to.

ORAF has his shop in Apple Valley. Definitely still there. Prepping/Tuning Negrete cars as well I believe.

yes on all of this. Dude has helped me so much. Knows everything about bugs and engines.
and yes, he had both of Negretes cars the other day, man knows how to prep a car. (and race cars lol)