baja bug?

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
My dad was talking to me this weekend aboput possibly getting a sand rail of some type. nothing fancy but something fun and with some suspension. I told him if he want something fun he should get a baja bug. I want a baja so we can play with it in ocatillo and take it to glamis also if we want to. Also because they are realativly cheap. if we get a baja id like to build it kinda like the bug in the feb/march 03 issue of sandsports. whats the difference between a super beetle and a baja bug? and which one is easier to modify and build into something like a class 5?

Gregg

martininsocal

Reaction
Gregg- stay away from a super beetle. The front suspension is a MacPherson strut assembly. It is not strong and is not really modifyable(it can velowered though). For your best bet and if you are really looking to upgrade suspension, any post 69 bug will work. It comes with IRS in the rear and if you are serious about clas 5 type suspension, then you will be lengthening and changing the front end to Link Pin anyway. If you don't have the bucks to have a full chassis built or you are doing the fab work yourselves, then I would look for a 65 or earlier bug. You can convert the rear to IRS pretty easy ( I can even loan you the jigs) and the front is already link pin. This will get a car very close to what the 5-1600 are and you can always modify up in the suspension department. To be honest with you, to build like a full class 5 will cost you more then building up an early ranger if you use race quality parts.

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

desertracer

Reaction
What about the one in the classifieds for $1850? Think it is a 63'. Check it out could be a good start or not...I'm not an expert?

MDR #112