Baja Buggy Info

caifas

Hello everyone,

Do you know how hard/easy it is to pass the inspection for the Baja 1000 SCORE race? I am starting to build my own race buggy since I do not have the money to have it built. I am using 1.5" 4130 tubing and TIG welding it. Borrowing desings from other people in combination with my own. Using a 2.2 Liter Subaru engine with as much travel as I can afford for suspension. It is my dream to race in the Baja 1000 even just one time. I know I do not stand a chance to win but just finishing would be a dream come true. It would really suck if I am not allowed to race due to not passing inspection. I can easily do all of the safety "extras" such as the right seatbelts, fire extinguisher, fisrt aid kits, etc...I am more concerned with the frame regulations.

Thx

jsallenbach

I don't think you can use a subaru engine unless you race sportsman, but i could be wrong. if you build a 5-1600 you run a 1600cc engine and an unlimited you can run any amount of cc out of a volkswagon block, i think.

HI_DEZ_DAVE

Get with SCORE Technical Director Bill Savage (760) 599-1013, and also get a SCORE rule book from their website. This will get you in the right direction.

caifas

Don't they let you race with just about any engine/body style configuration, if you don't fit in any class don't they just place you in an "unlimited" class?

TutTech

You will need the right bracing, supports and cross bracing that Score requires. It is in their rule book.
You will need the correct thickness of tubing for the total weight of the car. You may want to over build it if you have to if your just looking to race and finish and not worry about winning then use a little thicker wall thickness to be prepared for the car weighing more than you think it will.

Depending on weight you have to use the correct wall thickness etc. and this is found in the Scores rule book. What cross bracing, support etc. all in their rule book.
Order up or pick up a rule book real quick to make sure you do this correct so then when you take your car to Savage you will pass without any troubles. Not just the safety stuff like what you said but the correct safety fuel cell, window nets etc. must be installed as well. Not to mention all the corner gussets and braces on the frame as well.

With the Subaru you will just have to race in sportsman buggy class that's all. No worries it is the lowest entry fee and again if your just running to finish go for it.

Good luck.

caifas

Thx for your help, I will let you know how it goes, I already sent the payment for the rulebook, I had bought about 150' of 4130 but it is in 1.25" OD and it needs to be 1.5"...ouch! that is what I get for not starting at the begining. Now I am going back to square 1 but before I go to step 2 I will make sure I do things the right way, research all the rules and design requirements before I start again.

Thanks again