Baja De Saddleback 5-1600 Racer 1979

Larry in N.C.

RDC Crypto
Hi Guys Are there any more old racers still left from the Saddleback days around 79 and early 80 ? I drove a 5-1600 BUG # 18 and # 4 ..... I have been trying to find some photos from then but haven' t had much luck.... Maybe someone can help........

Larry in N.C.

RDC Crypto
Really...... I sure do miss the old days alot . Living in NC where there is no races is a drag,............. Even for an old fart........... LOL

Larry in N.C.

RDC Crypto
Sounds like I need to find him... It might be someone I raced with then....... My wife and I had a lot of frends that were off roaders.......I was a member of the Checkers pit club in 79 and 80.. We knew Gill George well.. Hope he is getting better since the surgery..... I still have his old Subaru buggy he built........ Thanks for getting back to me MC ..

Larry in N.C.

RDC Crypto
I was damn near born at Saddleback. My mom went into labor with me while my pops was burning laps in his buggy.
Yes Sometime off roaders have to leave the hard stuff to the women, like having babys LOL.................I loved racing there cool place good people.....

Larry in N.C.

RDC Crypto
Glanced thru a couple old Off Road Action News magazines tonight and seen a mention of 5/1600 racer Larry Jenkins having moved back east. Guessing that's you!!
Yes........... We moved here in 80 .. I was told that they did off road here but that was not the case BUMMER....... I had family here so we stayed and just never got around to going back...It is a great place to live..How did U find the info ? I cant find much on here.. Maybe I just don't know where to look.........LOL

Larry in N.C.

RDC Crypto
I am trying to restore a buggy that Gill George built in the early 70's....... It is the Subaru powered buggy that was used in his first history of Funco video .... I am not sure of the correct year or what type buggy it is... Could have been a Hustler but I don't know for sure... It started one of the DAM 500 Parker races...... Any help on this project would be most helpful................ Thanks.......

RDC Crypto
Subaru - early seventies? A 360cc two stroke twin was the engine in the early Subarus imported* to the US.

I'm thinking a swap occurred sometime in the past five decades or so.

*by Malcolm Bricklin

Larry in N.C.

RDC Crypto
Subaru - early seventies? A 360cc two stroke twin was the engine in the early Subarus imported* to the US.

I'm thinking a swap occurred sometime in the past five decades or so.

*by Malcolm Bricklin
Thanks for the info............... I could be wrong but I don't think a two cyl. engine would be big enough to power a race single seat buggy.............. I am thinking more like a four cyl. engine...... If I remember correctly Gill said this buggy was over powered and hard to keep under control........ Like I said I could be wrong..........

harleys dad

RDC Crypto
I raced class 11 in 1976-77-78 and also 51600 starting in 78 at Saddleback . you could run one hell of a 1600 engine in 516 finding 1600cc any way you wanted with roller cranks pretty much like class 10 1200cc at the time. Talk about a engine that would buzz. Why they did NOT run Score rules at the time on the engine I cant remember but it changed in 1981 I believe as the class started to lose entries even though it was the largest class everywhere else at the time. Once the engine rules went Score the class bounced back. I just missed the fall race in 77 with the 516 as we didnt get the car ready in time to race the new 51600 class at the time and when we went to the first race in 78 we had no idea about the engine rules and the cars that had the hot engines ran away from us. Most I would say 97 percent were ex class 11 cars cut up into Baja bugs but still very class 11 at the time. Ours we built for 516 and was a swing axle for a couple of years

Larry in N.C.

RDC Crypto
I raced class 11 in 1976-77-78 and also 51600 starting in 78 at Saddleback . you could run one hell of a 1600 engine in 516 finding 1600cc any way you wanted with roller cranks pretty much like class 10 1200cc at the time. Talk about a engine that would buzz. Why they did NOT run Score rules at the time on the engine I cant remember but it changed in 1981 I believe as the class started to lose entries even though it was the largest class everywhere else at the time. Once the engine rules went Score the class bounced back. I just missed the fall race in 77 with the 516 as we didnt get the car ready in time to race the new 51600 class at the time and when we went to the first race in 78 we had no idea about the engine rules and the cars that had the hot engines ran away from us. Most I would say 97 percent were ex class 11 cars cut up into Baja bugs but still very class 11 at the time. Ours we built for 516 and was a swing axle for a couple of years
Yes it was that way into 79 .. Half of the cars were still swing cars like mine .... Guys like Johnson and Menko had newer cars with Hats motors and IRS ....... Better for what we did...... Swing cars just didn't have the travel.......As far as the engine the only thing I did is what the score rule book said I could do...... We had to drive our butts off to keep up.......Sometime even in reverse.......LOL Did that once after I spun out and had no time to turn around........ LOL Well I guess its time to go to the garage and sit in my buggy ...... That's all its good for here in N.C. No buggy races on the East coast only dreams..............LOL

harleys dad

RDC Crypto
I had a Hatz engine in my car and it ran great but nowhere near the Saddleback engines of the day so
Hatz built one for Saddleback and it was fast. I still have that engine in basically running condition as it really was not good for any racing after the rules changed and it sat all these years on a shelf at my folks house. I was sponserd by San Diego power and performance a McMillin company that had Don Hatz Mike Mendiola under the same roof for several years. It is certainly a exotic 1600 engine I cant remember the combo inside but what ever it is it made it not able to use most of it in Score rules

Larry in N.C.

RDC Crypto
I had a Hatz engine in my car and it ran great but nowhere near the Saddleback engines of the day so
Hatz built one for Saddleback and it was fast. I still have that engine in basically running condition as it really was not good for any racing after the rules changed and it sat all these years on a shelf at my folks house. I was sponserd by San Diego power and performance a McMillin company that had Don Hatz Mike Mendiola under the same roof for several years. It is certainly a exotic 1600 engine I cant remember the combo inside but what ever it is it made it not able to use most of it in Score rules
Yes thats about what I thought about the motors,they were fast. What was the rules change on the 1600 engines? I still have one that I used for both short course and for desert. I plan on using it for A vintage race if poss. Can I still do it? It is a single port with a small cam. Other than that its pretty well stock with 85.5 barrels. I am going to put it in a single seat FUNCO from the early 70's. Guess I am going to get a new rule book. Crandon might be the closest to me being on the east side of the world. Ha Ha.

Larry in N.C.

RDC Crypto
This is what the Subaru powered buggy looks like today. Gill and I changed it to VW power.

Attachments

• Scan0001.jpg
    Scan0001.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 261