Baja - Driver's GPS?

ErikIrvine

Reaction
Guys,

When I was pre-running the 1000 last year I swore the driver needed their own GPS so they could look down and make a split second decision to go to the left or the right of a fence, or a tight multi turn. Keep it zoomed in and use for up close while the co-driver had theirs zoomed to whatever they needed to call out turns. That was before LeadNav. Really like the Lead Nav on the last 2 local races, co-driver will have Lead Nav, and the Lowrance already installed as a back up in case the hippy snowflake Apple product breaks. Anyway, anybody have a strong opinion if the driver needs their own map also? Don't want to get carried away, but also don't want to blow a turn and end up in a ravine either (been there done that).

3rd time racing Baja, 1st time in my car. Class 10.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20180401_191557.jpg
    20180401_191557.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 332

Zambo

Reaction
I think its helpful and most TTs have one on the drivers side. It isn't about following a line, its about being able to see which fork to take or how far away the next turn is and its a lot faster than having to ask.

Baja Bryan

Reaction
Nice as a backup and if co driver is doing somthing else or talking to the pits driver can watch for dangers coming up.

Josh @ DanZio

Chains
Reaction
I think its helpful and most TTs have one on the drivers side. It isn't about following a line, its about being able to see which fork to take or how far away the next turn is and its a lot faster than having to ask.

this^^^

I particularly like it on super fast roads 90mph plus, so I can keep an eye on a the range at which we are closing in on dangers. Not much use when it's tight and twisty, but I've caught more than a hundred times a missed call or inaccurate information from co-drivers. It's a busy job over there and we are hauling ass. The extra reassurance of getting a glance now and then and noting upcoming events is huge for me. It's a complete Driver preference. You ask 20 TT drivers and you'll get 20 different answers.

desertspeed

Reaction
Guys,

When I was pre-running the 1000 last year I swore the driver needed their own GPS so they could look down and make a split second decision to go to the left or the right of a fence, or a tight multi turn. Keep it zoomed in and use for up close while the co-driver had theirs zoomed to whatever they needed to call out turns. That was before LeadNav. Really like the Lead Nav on the last 2 local races, co-driver will have Lead Nav, and the Lowrance already installed as a back up in case the hippy snowflake Apple product breaks. Anyway, anybody have a strong opinion if the driver needs their own map also? Don't want to get carried away, but also don't want to blow a turn and end up in a ravine either (been there done that).

3rd time racing Baja, 1st time in my car. Class 10.

Thanks!

I like having one, but I think it is more helpful zoomed further out to catch 90 degree (or worse) turns that are ahead, especially at higher speeds. If the navigator has his GPS zoomed in, it is easy to overshoot a sharp turn at speed- it won't show up on his screen until you are already at the turn. A quick glance down every 5-10 seconds tells me if there is anything major coming up.

steve0we

Reaction
Erik, get off the radio... Erik, stop hitting the siren button... Erik, stop asking the pits if Tommy has clothes on... Erik, That really big bush isn't on the GPS... Erik, look out the window, the competition is passing us because you cant zoom in and out on the GPS fast enough.

Sorry folks, Just getting ready for the 500. Maybe if I record all of this and just hit play at the start he can save 200 LBS in the navigators seat!