• Forum membership has its advantages....

Baja: Edge of Control 360 reviews...

spalind

Just a seperate thread to keep Fish's PS3 reviews seperate from the 360 reviews as a number of people are saying they differ significantly...

My review?? First let me say I work with a team included in the game and I had known about the development of the game and the team's inclusion in it for over a year now. Needless to say I have been waiting with bated breath for this to come out. When the developer sent out its pics to individual teams of their vehicles "in game" pictures I posted them up on numerous sites and the reaction was similar--Great idea but what's up with the graphics?? They look like they would be found on an original Xbox or PS2 (or older) system...

I had hoped that these pics were either early development pics and not truly representative of what it would look like in its final form...Unfortunately my hopes were not to be realized....

I do not like the general and I don't feel there was many areas where it even exceeded "average". The graphics are poor...DiRT's graphics are leaps and bounds above this game--not only in the vehicles themselves but in the backgrounds and special effects. Take a look at the yellow line when driving down a highway--it looks like a bunch of 6 foot 2x4's laid end to end instead of a smooth curving line as you go around corners...
Other issues?? When you run into something, like a tree, you don't seem to run into it, you run UP it, not really doing a lot of damage even with the damage setting on full. When you run into the cactus or bushes that fall over, they fall over in the same way, EVERY TIME, like a cardboard cutout on a movie set...There is no dusty silt when you cross a dry lake bed?? The vehicles drive like they are skating on top of ice, not digging into the ground like they should...they don't slide, they just turn like they have a giant pole stuck vertically through the middle of the vehicle...When you go off the course or road and into the bushes, you just run through the bushes like they aren't even their--like ghost bushes...DiRT feels and looks much more realistic than this game and I will be returning rapidly to that game despite its lack of real online play and heavy focus on rally racing and short tracks.

While I like the inclusion of numerous teams and vehicles the poor graphics, control, and play of the game has me looking at possibly returning the game and getting what I can for it....

Sorry...I was super psyched for this game but it just doen't come close to cutting it for me...I give it a 3 out of 10...

ttucker77

My review:

Cons:
The graphics are a huge disappointment for myself, but I dunno what they look like on the Xbox considering I got the PS3. Driving through parts of towns during races on the pavement, the game tends to get slow and laggy??? Not sure if anyone else has experienced that problem.

While I myself have never driven a truck/buggy off road before except for my 1994 Isuzu Rodeo lol, I can't tell you how they should handle. But I'm pretty sure you can't get a buggy to turn in mid air. There is no in car camera from the driver's eyes; I found that to be a let down as well. I myself don't like having to call on the helicopter to come and fix me lol. I'd rather have some support trucks parked along somewhere so I can just drive to them (talking about in the rally, and endurance).

Went driving through Cabo and couldn't find the Cabo Wabo Cantina???? What's up with that?:D

Pros:
There's a wide variety of buggies/trucks. I love that. I like the endurance portion, but like I was reading in someone's post before, the intervals at the start are too short. But I can see why since you technically aren't racing the full Baja 1000.
If you are cruising in a buggy, you don't have to worry about racing that TT coming up your inside; like Robby driving like a mad man to get by me.

I myself seem fine with the controls. I've been using basically the same style preset for I think 5 in my other racing games.

What score do I give it? I'll go with a 6 out of 10. Mainly because I'm the casual off-road fan, not a die-hard like some of ya'll:p

Also: this is the only off-road game I've played since that N64 off-road game, I'm sure some remember that one.

Rhinestone Cowboy

Can i ban pdailey?
Pros: I love the whole thing.

Cons: I would of been cool to maybe have a co drivers voice to call turns and warnings out to you. More whoop sections, bigger dust trails, less street driving. Be able to tune the car or truck. Pit stops should be haulers or chase trucks instead of stopping at a chopper and show crew doing pit stop similar to EA's Nascar

Hopefully we see a Baja: 2010

Here's what I thought (not that anyone really cares:D)

Graphics - 6/10
Some of it was kinda grainy, I didn't have a problem with the cars being similar, the backgrounds were really clear but I wish they had spent more time on the cars themselves. I could see reflections of the sky and clouds on the top of 5/16's which was pretty cool. They definetely did not use what the 360 is capable of.

Sound - 4/10
Way too quiet during races unless you're in a group with people who have headsets. Maybe some background music or weatherman telling jokes. A co-pilot saying random things would have helped.

Physics - 6/10
Maybe it was just me or my default setups, but I couldn't figure out how to use the e-brake, I didn't customize anything and "run what I brung." Slower cars were fun for me but in an online group almost everyone wanted to use Unlimiteds or TT's. It was nice playing with people who actually wanted to get first place and not play like it was a demolition derby like everyone on Grid for a change.

Online - 8/10
Very easy to set up and host a room, after every race we all discussed what track to do next, I'd pick it, everyone would automatically be there and we would prerun for a few seconds before I hit start the game, which gives you a 45 second window to make car changes, prerun, etc. It was easy to invite people in to the game too after I figured it out, just went to my friends list, invited those who were on then went to the previously played list and invited people who randomly had joined, it wasn't hard to get a full group going.

Overall - 6/10

Although I don't really put games down for graphics, I have to say with todays technology I think it could have been a little better. The sound could have been alot better as well, at least a copilots voice or the weatherman to chime in every few seconds. It was alot of fun playing online and I can't wait to play it again. Overall I think it was a very good first attempt at giving the "hardcore" community something while trying to get to the general public. It was very funny hearing someone online ask "What's a Trophy Truck?" We seem to forget that this game was not made just for the people on RDC, but it was made for people who like racing games in general.

Tipracer

Carlos nice write up...what are you some kind of closet game reviewer???!!!....and I agree with you about the negretes car, for some reason it just looks better on your screen...

Rhinestone Cowboy

Can i ban pdailey?
Here's what I thought (not that anyone really cares:D)

Graphics - 6/10
Some of it was kinda grainy, I didn't have a problem with the cars being similar, the backgrounds were really clear but I wish they had spent more time on the cars themselves. I could see reflections of the sky and clouds on the top of 5/16's which was pretty cool. They definetely did not use what the 360 is capable of.

Sound - 4/10
Way too quiet during races unless you're in a group with people who have headsets. Maybe some background music or weatherman telling jokes. A co-pilot saying random things would have helped.

Physics - 6/10
Maybe it was just me or my default setups, but I couldn't figure out how to use the e-brake, I didn't customize anything and "run what I brung." Slower cars were fun for me but in an online group almost everyone wanted to use Unlimiteds or TT's. It was nice playing with people who actually wanted to get first place and not play like it was a demolition derby like everyone on Grid for a change.

Online - 8/10
Very easy to set up and host a room, after every race we all discussed what track to do next, I'd pick it, everyone would automatically be there and we would prerun for a few seconds before I hit start the game, which gives you a 45 second window to make car changes, prerun, etc. It was easy to invite people in to the game too after I figured it out, just went to my friends list, invited those who were on then went to the previously played list and invited people who randomly had joined, it wasn't hard to get a full group going.

Overall - 6/10

Although I don't really put games down for graphics, I have to say with todays technology I think it could have been a little better. The sound could have been alot better as well, at least a copilots voice or the weatherman to chime in every few seconds. It was alot of fun playing online and I can't wait to play it again. Overall I think it was a very good first attempt at giving the "hardcore" community something while trying to get to the general public. It was very funny hearing someone online ask "What's a Trophy Truck?" We seem to forget that this game was not made just for the people on RDC, but it was made for people who like racing games in general.
Hit the nail on the head

Carlos nice write up...what are you some kind of closet game reviewer???!!!....and I agree with you about the negretes car, for some reason it just looks better on your screen...
Thanks Nick (and next-gen), I wish I got paid to review games, that's my dream job! I actually wrote down my thoughts last night and changed a few things this morning. I love video games (if you can tell :D) and was hoping this game would be better, but the fun factor for me is there and that's all I really cared about at first. If I wanted a game like DiRT, I'll play DiRT! DUH!:rolleyes:

I took a couple pics of Ernie's car, he's listed as the DOR too which I thought was cool, I'll post them once they upload from my phone to photobucket. The most UNREALISTIC thing about this game was Iribe finishing dead last in 3 races!? That NEVER happens in real life :D

Chase044

did anyone notice the clutch feature..

am i the only one that found the clutch extremely cheesy like a mac and cheese commercial. if you play the game even on the strait aways or anywhere you are, if you hit the left bumper, not the trigger. (thats the brake) it will give you a boost of speed. it works just like a clutch if you hold it. but if you just tap it you will gain like 3 mph and if you just keep tapping it you will start going so fast you will fly by everyone. at the start all you do is spin the tires and they all pull away but once it turn green and you hit the clutch you will take off like a rocket and usually catch them really quickly.

another thing.... the ebrake is the same way i found out. if you go into a sharp turn and just tap the e brake to get it sideways you will launch out of the turn with a ton of speed...

also one more thing i found out. if you do it perfectly go into a turn and use the ebrake and then coming out of the turn you clutch it. you will get so much speed its crazy. the whole car just goes sideways (im guessing from the power, or just bad game physics) and takes off like a rocket.

i found the game the be exactly what we didnt want it to be. an arcade game. thats all it is really... it is super cool how they have so many different cars and all the different tracks. but there is only 2 things that make this game a baja game and thats the fact it has tons of different real race teams in it. although a lot of the cars a re used cars with different skins. it is still very cool to have all the different teams in the game...

DRIVING-
ok so i did some thinking and found out the physics of the game....
passing is hard due to the fact the cars feel like magnets to eachother... if you lock a wheel with someone it feels like a magnet is holding them together. or if you get close to someone it feels like a magnet pulls them together.
the fact you can turn in the air makes it very unrealistic, AGAIN....
the speed feels like you are going 150mph through turns and rough terrain where it would never be possible. unrealistic...
hitting rocks you seem to bounce off of them, not run into them. hitting trees makes you climb into the tree and actually i dont remember if there is actually a sound when you hit the tree.
Cars feel like they turn from the center.. which is common cuz thats the closest thing to real driving other than a real car.... cars feel like they are on ice.

CARS-
Cars dont feel like there is any weight to them. they just float around and are very nimble and everything just pushes them around. i guess this is what keeps you on the edge of your seat. i guess thats how it is in real likfe but they didnt re create the feeling right.. it just feels weird when the car start turning cuz you cant stop it. the car will start turning to the left or something and you cant get it back for over 200 feet or more. i like how when you hit bumps it make the steer and stuff like in real life. but what i think should have been done. is more bumps, but make the bumps not do as much as far as turning. like maybe a quick bump of the front end to the left or right. not take the front of the car and pull it 10 feet to one side. they kept saying how the sounds are so real. well when the car is on the ground they are very real but mid air sounds are the same...
other than those things the cars look and handle fairly cool.

sorry i went through and said allt he cons of the game...
heres what i like about it.
its the first of its kind so its gonna need some rethinking and some things updated. im sure baja 2 will be out soon and will be 10 times better.
this game when you get into it is a lot of fun. the maps are very fun to drive and the A.I. when you turn them up are a lot of fun to drive with. i like the huge open worlds and how you can drive anywhere.
when you are racing witht he AI turned up you really have to pay attention to what lines you take cuz some are a lot faster. ive found if you have a slower vehicle than the competitors then if you take a rough side rather than the smooth side then you will slow down like in real life.

overall for what it is, i think this is a great game. its the first step to many more off road games to come... i can see why fish didnt want to endorse this game and created his own. he probably just didnt agree with the layout cuz if i was him i would let this game represent the name SCORE.
i really like this game and i cant wait to go home after work and play some more.

spalind

If we dont all buy this game. There wont be a new one. Remember that. We can complain all day and a second version would most likely be shot down
OK...by that reasoning we should all go buy a Daewoo cause if we don't buy one, there won't be a new one...and if we complain all day about how poor this Daewoo was made there won't be a second one...........:rolleyes:

Sorry...that's not how America works (or at least it shouldn't be...) Good products and ideas survive...the bad die and go away...If we need to blow smoke up people's arse in order to be found a member in good standing of the desert community, well...count me as your general desert malcontent....

Chase044

well hees trying to say if they dont make a proffit from the game, then they wont make a 2nd one. the 2nd one could be better or they can not listen to the public and make the game even cheesier. i think that we should support the game for what it is, and hope they will improve and make the game better next time.

as for me dirt 2 will probably be the sickest game ever!

CHROMOLY77

Nice reviews guys....

well 2 thing i did notice it was the clutch and the way you can create accidents on the highways.

and also i did notice the class 10 where to slow i think i notice more speed on the 5-1600 suspensions and graphics look good enough but they could have done more.

sounds are good last nite i saw a couple of guys in there but i was not able to to play whit them online.

maps look good nice that you can ride everywhere.

1-MISSING camera views are not what i was specting probably the only one that i like is the one where you see the hood of the car i dont like the top view, i can work whit the top left side view but it could been sweet if we can get a view from like the inside of the vehicles like on DIRT....

its a nice game ill see if i can do the whole enchilada today ill keep you guys posted on what i find.

Last edited:

Rhinestone Cowboy

Can i ban pdailey?
well hees trying to say if they dont make a proffit from the game, then they wont make a 2nd one. the 2nd one could be better or they can not listen to the public and make the game even cheesier. i think that we should support the game for what it is, and hope they will improve and make the game better next time.

Thanks Chase

b-town boy

wow! wow! wow! they are gonna make a DIRT 2???
or is this just thoughts...???

Hey guys. My name is Greg. I am on the development team for Baja. I will try to assist you guys in any way I can to help make the game easier to understand.

First I wanted to mention some game Options that people had questions about.

-You can switch between Automatic and Manual in the "Driving Physics".
-If you time using the ebrake and the clutch just right you can master those hairpin turns. I understand this can be frustrating but it is a skill well worth mastering and makes the game a blast.
-There are a total of 10 controller presets and 2 steering wheel presets for the Xbox 360. Some of you wanted to change yours. We tried to accommodate the most popular possibilities.
-In "Driving Physics" mess with the traction control. See if you like it on or off. This effects your wheel spin reaction to the ground.
-The vehicles you purchase and tune in your career can be played online. This may help you get that competitive edge over your online friends. That is the incentive to play the career.

b-town boy

there is a rumor around that there is a dirt 2. info is very hard to find and scarce
hell yea... those guys can make some bad ass games!!!
has any 1 ever played the new game grid???
1 of my buddies has that game and the loading screen is alot like dirt...
any relation???