• Forum membership has its advantages....

Baja frame lights

BajaboundMoto

Are you planning to use them for the 1000?
If not the 1000 IMO going the route of frame mount isn't worth it.
If yes the 1000, I have a few extra sets I don't need that have dual 8" HIDs. We're not going away from the dual 8" frame mount style, it's still what we'll use, I just have too many sets.

lyhoftom

If you're looking to buy instead of borrow, I have the dual 8" HID setup from BD with the quick release setup that clamps to the forks. Also have the single frame for the same mount. It's from a KTM, so you'd have to get the Honda harness and certainly a stator mod. PM me if interested.

BajaRon09

How much are you asking for a set
If yes the 1000, I have a few extra sets I don't need that have dual 8" HIDs. We're not going away from the dual 8" frame mount style, it's still what we'll use, I just have too many sets.
with lights

Rslhc

Just to pick your brain a bit. I have the Baja Designs fork mounted LED setup with the XL80/XL Racer for my 450x. I have used them for local rides and am a big fan of them. But im prepping for the 1000 this year. I am not planning to do frame mounted, but have given it some thought. Any wisdom to share on frame vs fork mounted LED's for the 1000? I see some pros and cons of non-steerable light, but didn't know if there was something else I was missing.

Rslhc

OP: the ones you posted are made by RaceCo, inc. Jaime Campbell is the man on those.

Another one I ran across during contingency last year was by Modified Machine Works as another poster mentioned. He uses the Baja Designs fork tube mount, so its a bit of a hybrid system.

Dustino81

OP: the ones you posted are made by RaceCo, inc. Jaime Campbell is the man on those.

Another one I ran across during contingency last year was by Modified Machine Works as another poster mentioned. He uses the Baja Designs fork tube mount, so its a bit of a hybrid system.

I believe Modified Machine Works also makes the frame mount style as well

BajaboundMoto

@BajaRon09 - check your PM

Frame vs fork mounted lights...
Frame mounted the front end feels SO much lighter, steering is better, whoops are easier, dirt tracking the roads the light is pointed where the bike is going not off to the side.
Fork mounted are easier to put on, you'll run into less interference with the cables/wires, you can flip them from bke to bike easily.
Also, for some people a single 8" HID is a safer bet (narrower, less vulnerable) than a set of double 8" HIDs because when averaging +-25-30 mph having more light at night isn't going to make you go faster, a single is plenty. A single you can't (that I've seen) mount to the frame bue to the bucket.

While we're at it, Dennis Green makes some gnarly dual light frame mount set-ups. I forget what he's called, DMG? @Chainguide do you have any pics of Dennis' light frames?

Chainguide

@BajaRon09 - check your PM

Frame vs fork mounted lights...
Frame mounted the front end feels SO much lighter, steering is better, whoops are easier, dirt tracking the roads the light is pointed where the bike is going not off to the side.
Fork mounted are easier to put on, you'll run into less interference with the cables/wires, you can flip them from bke to bike easily.
Also, for some people a single 8" HID is a safer bet (narrower, less vulnerable) than a set of double 8" HIDs because when averaging +-25-30 mph having more light at night isn't going to make you go faster, a single is plenty. A single you can't (that I've seen) mount to the frame bue to the bucket.

While we're at it, Dennis Green makes some gnarly dual light frame mount set-ups. I forget what he's called, DMG? @Chainguide do you have any pics of Dennis' light frames?
Tim,
This is all I could find in a hurry. Some older, used, spare set. This set up weighs 7-1/2 pounds. That's only a net gain of 6 pounds after you count for the stock head lamp being replaced. His newer stuff is more compact and even lighter. For sure frame mounts handle better IMO.
IMG_6162.JPG
IMG_6210.JPG