• Forum membership has its advantages....

Baja in Havasu

Jimmy8

How was the Baja in havasu? I didnt get a chance to go because I was at the Barstow race. I did pass a lot of stadium mini trucks on trailers going that direction. Was the turnout good? Who was there and how was the racing. I know you were there Jen, so how was it?

"We've done so much with so little for so long, we can do anything with nothing!"

JenDiggityDirt

Actually, it hurt, but we didn't go. We opted to go to the MDr banquet instead. About 11:30 Saturday night Greg was saying, "Hmmmm you wanna get up about 4:00 and haul ass out there?" but, we didn't. Shaun (TRDShaunTRD on the board) and Michelle Sexton were there taking pics for our site and Sheryl Cannon was there, too. We're just as anxious as you are to find out how it went!!! We'll DEFINITELY be out at the Xtreme race in Phoenix in December, though.

<font color=white>JEN</font color=white>

Jimmy8

Where and what are the dates on that? I havent heard anything about it. And where is it going to be held?

"We've done so much with so little for so long, we can do anything with nothing!"

TRDshaunTRD

The Baja in Havasu was sick! It was tuff to pass the Barstow race on the way there, but I had to choose one. There was a lot of out of controll action, and guess what, Speedvision was there to cover the whole event! Aparently, Speedvision will be covering all next season as well! Speedvision said that I was a nice change of pace from covering the offshore and jet boats. There was prabably a dozen roll-overs with no injurys throughout the weekend. The track was very technical and had a lot of holes to work around. Ricky Huseman took the win for the weekend for pro lights as usual, and the snowbird team took the win for desert trucks. On saturday, Curt LeDuc took the win in Pro 4 and on sunday his son Kyle raced for the first time, and took a win racing just like his Dad! Iit was a great occasion! I belive that O'Neal took the Pro 2 win, but ask racinCPA for exacts since she was reporting for Dusty Times, and I was just havin a good time! Saturday night there was a monster truck show and tuff truck contest. A guy named Damen who came with a clean F-150 prerunner built by the McKenzie's happened to decide to mess around and enter the tuff truck contest. While racing around the track, he decided to take a little different track, and jumped 4 cars which were there for the monster trucks to crush. He did not clear them, but romped right over the shattered glass and sharp metal with out a scratch! I went wild along with the crowd! I'm bummed that I didnt get a photo of that, but I'm workin on geting some shots from another source. Stay tuned to Prerunners.com for pics. Overall, it was great spectator action, and we all should check out the next Xtreme race!

TRDshaunTRD

attached is a pic taken last month at Estero Beach of the F-150 that jumped the trucks. Let me know if the atachment did'nt work.

Attachments

DougM

Looks like a exact copy(but in black) of the Dane Cardone (Plank truck) except for the grille w/ lights in it.
(see pic attached)

Attachments

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
The Planck Built truck is SIK. I scoped it at Primm.

Kris

"Revenge is best served cold"

TRDshaunTRD

the two trucks are a lot different under the skin. the black one is just a prerunner, and the yellow plank truck is a full on race truck.

jeff

And the black one appears to be 4wd... Anyone got some more pictures of that black truck... or some information on how its built?

Aloha

TRDshaunTRD

It was built by McKenzie, thats about all I know. It was built for daily driving/prerunning and not to race. I think it has a vortec engine. It has a clean interior with a bumpin stereo, and I was told that he will never race it. Also, on another note, this truck is typically at all xtreme series races in th pits. Greg (Greg) and Jen (JenDiggityDirt), or sheryl (RacinCPA) have also seen it, they may know more about it. Next week I may have some more pics of it from the baja in Havasu.

jeff

A-ha! Thanks for info. Hopefully someone you mentioned will read the thread and reply - hint hint...
I'd love to see some pics/video of that truck jumping the crushed cars - how big was this jump? A Vortec motor ya say?

Aloha

JenDiggityDirt

Shaun...yer killin me here!!! I am realllllly sad to have missed the Havasu race, but it was nice to get together with the MDR folks at the banquet and enjoy a weekend with little adrenaline rush. I read some, did some laundry, and saw Monsters, Inc...not very exciting, but nice. I thought that black F-150 had some kind of connection with Riviera Racing, maybe? I thought it was parked next to their pit in Estero and I may even remember a Riviera sticker on it somewhere. Anywa, I can't wait to see those pictures from Havasu!!! Next Xtreme stop...Phoenix December 15th. We'll be there for sure!

TRDshaunTRD

it does have a small riviera sticker on the rollcage on the rear but I have no idea what the connection is. The jump of cars was about 3' high but the jump was made for monster trucks so the dirt jump of 3' just came up to the window sill height and the rest of the jump was the side of the car. The truck went up the dirt jump then hit the side of the car which kicked the truck up, and then he flew up and over the first car and landed on the 2nd and3rd car, and then drove over the 4th and then onto the dirt on the other side. It was amazing that he didnt wreck or get cought on something. I was told by an official that one of the McKinzie's was standing with two fire extinguishers praying to God that he was not goin to jump the cars. I made a comment to Tommy Bradley, a protruck drive that it was his turn, and he said there was no way that he could make that with his truck with how low its set up. But then Bradley came out and showed everyone up, including the Monster trucks as far as I'm concearned by running the course backworks, and flyin high off the steep take offs from the backside of jumps. Anyone who wasn't there really missed out (sory Jen and Greg). So next xtreme race, be sure to be there!

JenDiggityDirt

Side note: A couple years ago...Yucca Valley Tuff Trucks...Dennis Sletten in the 11 Bros prerunner (bug)...monster truck jump with a line of 4 or 5 cars I think...CLEARED THEM ALL! That man is still my hero.

TROPHYSEDAN

Thanks Jen .I did it 2 years in a row.got first the first year then got second the next year but got D Q ed both years but had ablast doing it. starting to get ready for sand blast .

TRDshaunTRD

By the way, the Baja in Havasu should air on the outdoor channel in January or Febuary aswell as on speedvision around the same time!

RacnCPA

OK Damon's truck is a 4WD Prerunner, very nicely built by Sean McKenzie. Although it appears pretty stock it has a nice 460ci motor and nice transmission, definitely a killer stereo. He did an awesome job of driving the tuff truck course and then to everyone's surprise he took on the monster truck car jump. The crowd went crazy and he ended up signing autographs that night and the next day. The kids loved him and he put on a great show. And yes Damon is a main pit/chase person for Team Riviera.

As for the results, I could give you the ones from my lap sheets, but I'll just wait until I get the official results, which should be by tomorrow. The hot class was the Mini Truck class. It had the most entrants and after an unusual penalty (for passing the rolled vehicle on a red flag) to all the mini trucks except Rick Husemann who was stopped at the time, all trucks were given a one lap penalty and Husemann got to start in the front. So being the class act racer that Rocket Rick is he lapped EVERY truck in the race just to prove that he could have won not matter the penalty or not.

Kyle LeDuc did an awesome job of getting familiar with Daddy's truck. Practice was a bit hairy but by race time he was hanging it out pretty nicely. Tommy Bradley was as awesome as ever. He raced both the Pro 2 truck and a 9 car!! Dennis McKenzie did a great job of winning two classes. He raced not only the Baja Bug class and won, but he raced all the Safari cars, which this time consisted only of (probably all Camco built) four seat buggies. Quite interesting.

Kimberly Anderson kicked the boyz butts in the buggy class. The Superlites were the next biggest class and all in all a great time was had by everyone.

Last stop on the tour will be Phoenix on December 15th and 16th at Canyon Park near or in Phoenix. As soon as I get better details on it I will post it.

Hope that helped.

Sc

JenDiggityDirt

"So being the class act racer that Rocket Rick is he lapped EVERY truck in the race just to prove that he could have won not matter the penalty or not."

That guy rocks so frickin hard!

TRDshaunTRD

Thanks for the info on everything Sheryl! I'm sure a lot of people were curious including me. Keep us updated when the official results come out.

Bill

Carlos Danger
What about me jumping and clearing the six cars out in San bernardino last year?