Baja Legend Coco in need

cubed

Reaction
The last one must not have held up very well......

Ben77

Reaction
Dang, I was just thinking didnt he get one recently. Probably a hemi tick. They tend to blow up.

Bajacolorado

Reaction
A year ago the road was mostly complete - certain bridge sections still needed repairs. The section north of Puertocitos was under construction (improvements) and work was still underway in the hilly section south of Coco's. Maybe someone can update my report since it is from last fall. We stopped to visit Coco and he had lost a lot of business so if you head that way stop in and tip well. He is about 80 now I believe.

PaulW

Reaction
Road is done = complete. 60+mph all the way to Chapala/hwy 1.
Coco does not live on the new road.
He never moved for his place and still lives along the old dirt road with very little traffic nowadays.

mig29

Reaction
A year ago the road was mostly complete - certain bridge sections still needed repairs. The section north of Puertocitos was under construction (improvements) and work was still underway in the hilly section south of Coco's. Maybe someone can update my report since it is from last fall. We stopped to visit Coco and he had lost a lot of business so if you head that way stop in and tip well. He is about 80 now I believe.
I passed his place last April/May while I was covering the 2019 NORRA 1K. On the way there, there were a lot of detours around the damaged highway. On the way back (from San Jose Del Cabo), I dropped off some cupcakes. I did the same, when I was taking the slow way back up north (hugging the coast, since I was chasing sunrises)

There are a lot of people living a simple life (in shacks). I was at Punta Coyote (near Puertocitos) -- only 2 small houses on the beach. It was more "real" (solitary), than the other crowded places (multiple houses, like at Pete's Camp in San Felipe)

I made friends with the gringo house-keeper, & we hung out for awhile. He made his wealth as junkyard owner/operator in San Diego area. He told me:

"My entire life in USA, everything was PLANNED. My business, home, etc. Right now, I'm just living day to day. It's more relaxed"

He gave me a tour of the house, it's got Solar power. We exchanged contact info (email, phone). I will get back to him, wondering what he's doing.

Bajacolorado

Reaction
Share the goFund me link with friends etc. I did and got 3 to contribute. I will see Coco in 2 weeks from today after the SF500.

Bajacolorado

Reaction
Coco update - October 5 2020. Stopped by a few days after the Baja 500. We gave him some dinero and he appreciated it as he now gets few visitors. His old white truck just sits there. He has no wheels. I guess he knows about the fundraiser. Please contribute to the link above. Please stop by if you are headed that way. He could use canned goods, any type of food and cash. He asked if we could bring women the next time - that was so Coco! He is now 83. Show Coco some love!

Attachments