• Forum membership has its advantages....

Baja Norte tour

JBSTEVENS44

Not sure if this is the best place to be posting this. Let me know if I should move it elsewhere.

I'm planning a trip to take my wife to experience some of Baja. I've done several trips on bikes but never in a truck.
Truck is a tundra with camburg long travel front and deaver rear.
Here's my tentative plan.
Day 1 Tecate - valley t - mikes - San quintin
Day 2 San quintin- punta Baja - San Carlos - catavina - Santa Rosalina - San Ignacio
Day 3 San Ignacio - San francisquito- bay of la
Day 4 bay of la - san borja- cocos- San Felipe
Day 5 San Felipe back home to Phx.

I'm a little concerned with the miles we can cover in the truck. Idk if it will be faster or slower than the bike. I would imagine we would need to take less rest stops and worst case we can do more pavement.

luvbaja2

LONG DAYS, LOTS OF MILES. I THINK I WOULD TRIM DOWN YOUR SCHEDULE TO GIVE YOUR WIFE TIME TO SMELL THE ROSES.

JDDurfey

I think to enjoy the trip you need to split the first two days up differently. It looks to me like you have about 4 days worth of traveling there instead of 2. If you are planning on running a good pace with no scenery stops and the passengers are used to long days in the truck it would work, but if your wife is like mine, those days would not work.

I would suggest ending the first day at Mike's, then head to San Quintin on day 2, but that makes for a very long haul to get to San Ignacio, it would be impossible to do following your route I believe. So it looks to me like you would need to re-think that. But the return trip north is completely doable in my opinion.

Sounds like a fun trip though. My wife has never even been to Baja. I don't have anything to do a trip like that in, someday hopefully. Good luck.

TecateRay

Not sure if this is the best place to be posting this. Let me know if I should move it elsewhere.

I'm planning a trip to take my wife to experience some of Baja. I've done several trips on bikes but never in a truck.
Truck is a tundra with camburg long travel front and deaver rear.
Here's my tentative plan.
Day 1 Tecate - valley t - mikes - San quintin
Day 2 San quintin- punta Baja - San Carlos - catavina - Santa Rosalina - San Ignacio
Day 3 San Ignacio - San francisquito- bay of la
Day 4 bay of la - san borja- cocos- San Felipe
Day 5 San Felipe back home to Phx.

I'm a little concerned with the miles we can cover in the truck. Idk if it will be faster or slower than the bike. I would imagine we would need to take less rest stops and worst case we can do more pavement.
Way too much mileage and too little time to enjoy Baja. This trip as planned might be your wife's last trip to Mexico.
1. Why not spend the first night at Mike's? Take the route through the Pine Forest and Laguna Hansen?
2. Next night at Cataviña after checking out Bahia San Quintin and La Lobera.
3. Next night in Bahia de Los Angeles. Highway Cataviña to Rosarito then the back way into San Borja. Plan a few hours at the mission.
4. Next night either Gonzaga or San Felipe then home. I'd vote for Gonzaga. Make reservations there for sure, Alphonsinas is the only hotel.
5. Home
Save San Francisquito and San Ignacio for when you have more time.

JBSTEVENS44

Way too much mileage and too little time to enjoy Baja. This trip as planned might be your wife's last trip to Mexico.
1. Why not spend the first night at Mike's? Take the route through the Pine Forest and Laguna Hansen?
2. Next night at Cataviña after checking out Bahia San Quintin and La Lobera.
3. Next night in Bahia de Los Angeles. Highway Cataviña to Rosarito then the back way into San Borja. Plan a few hours at the mission.
4. Next night either Gonzaga or San Felipe then home. I'd vote for Gonzaga. Make reservations there for sure, Alphonsinas is the only hotel.
5. Home
Save San Francisquito and San Ignacio for when you have more time.

Alright I'm gonna try to add some days. I really want to try and get to San Ignacio. The furthest south I've been is the 22 day trail. I rode it from bay of la to catavina.

First day plan is to go by Laguna Hansen, than to valley t for tacos. From there I was debating on going towards mikes or the road that heads west and comes out onto hwy1 by the vineyards. I don't really recall the condition of that road but if my memory is right I think it is smoother than going by mikes.

The 2nd day I was thinking of taking the road just north of catavina that goes sw towards Santa rosalita. I took this into catavina when I did the 22 day trail. It seemed relatively smooth and fast. Maybe I should cut out the first part of that day (punta Baja and San Carlos)

On 2nd though maybe I should just wing it. If it takes longer than expected stop at mikes or melings. Stay in catavina 2nd night like you suggested.

JDDurfey

The cross over road from Valley T on the first day would save you a ton of time. The road into Mike's is usually good and you will make good time, but no matter which way you leave Mike's to the south, you are in for a slow drive to get back to pavement.

If you take the pavement from the cross over all the way to Catavina you are looking at a 3 to 4 hour drive I believe. Stopping in El Rosario would shorten that day, and that is a good place to eat as well.

JBSTEVENS44

The cross over road from Valley T on the first day would save you a ton of time. The road into Mike's is usually good and you will make good time, but no matter which way you leave Mike's to the south, you are in for a slow drive to get back to pavement.

If you take the pavement from the cross over all the way to Catavina you are looking at a 3 to 4 hour drive I believe. Stopping in El Rosario would shorten that day, and that is a good place to eat as well.

Yeah that's what i was thinking. Thanks.

y2kbaja

I just got back from Baja with my wife and her first trip. We focused on Missions.
Day 1 to San Felipe
Day 2: San Felipe to BOLA (had issues on the road and arrived late).
Day 3: BOLA to San Ignacio via El Arco (arrived about 4)
Day 4: SI to Loreto via San Juanico, SJ Comondu, San Javier (arrived at sunset after issues on the road)
Day 5: Loreto to Mulege (relaxing day)
Day 6: Mulege to GN (arrived by 3)
Day 7: Whale watch in the AM, left GN about noon, did San Borja, dinner at Papa Fernandez, San Felipe (arrived about 8:30)
She had a great time for her first trip despite the day 2 issues.

y2kbaja

If you make it to San Ignacio stay at La Huerta hotel. It's 1 block past the Mision. I found them on FB and made ressies there. $36-42/night, brand new nice hotel. Alfonsinos was booked for the next 2-weeks solid they said so make sure to get ressies in advance. In BOLA I found La Ventana, it's about 2-miles north of town. Nice place, on the beach, resort like. Wife loved it. She also loved Loreto and La Mision hotel--we'll be back there!

Bajacolorado

One of best parts of Baja would be to be ocean front for a full day (2 nights) and chill. If that reasoning sticks - as you are heading south and get past Catavina - cross over to Coco's and then to Gonzaga bay. Spend 2 nights there - rent a palapa on the beach, eat at Alphonsinas (also rent kayaks) and get needed supplies at El Rancho Grande Market.
I am always doing 5 day trips (2 per year) and have gone as far as LA Bay (which is great) we end up feeling like we should have chilled more. There is no place more chill on the ocean than Gonzaga.

JBSTEVENS44

I just got back from Baja with my wife and her first trip. We focused on Missions.
Day 1 to San Felipe
Day 2: San Felipe to BOLA (had issues on the road and arrived late).
Day 3: BOLA to San Ignacio via El Arco (arrived about 4)
Day 4: SI to Loreto via San Juanico, SJ Comondu, San Javier (arrived at sunset after issues on the road)
Day 5: Loreto to Mulege (relaxing day)
Day 6: Mulege to GN (arrived by 3)
Day 7: Whale watch in the AM, left GN about noon, did San Borja, dinner at Papa Fernandez, San Felipe (arrived about 8:30)
She had a great time for her first trip despite the day 2 issues.

Would you be willing to send me your coordinates if you tracked the route ?

y2kbaja

I can send you my gpx file. The whales are now out of season so I would skip Guererrero Negro.

punchdrunk monkey

I would be interested in doing some trips. The next few months are pretty busy for me. But maybe some shorter 2-3 day trips

JBSTEVENS44

So far I'm able to add one day to make it 6 days. :D. I'm gonna shoot to go from tecate to melings ranch. Do you think its faster to take the cross over road from valley t and down the 1 and than head back in the mtns to melings or go up and over mikes to melings?