• Forum membership has its advantages....

Baja Norte tour

JDDurfey

So far I'm able to add one day to make it 6 days. :D. I'm gonna shoot to go from tecate to melings ranch. Do you think its faster to take the cross over road from valley t and down the 1 and than head back in the mtns to melings or go up and over mikes to melings?
If you are dead set on going to Meling, I would go through Mike's. It may be faster to take the cross over road and then up the observatory road, but it would be more mileage. The trip through Mike's would be much more scenic and enjoyable in my opinion, but rougher. If it were me, I would go through Mike's.

JBSTEVENS44

If you are dead set on going to Meling, I would go through Mike's. It may be faster to take the cross over road and then up the observatory road, but it would be more mileage. The trip through Mike's would be much more scenic and enjoyable in my opinion, but rougher. If it were me, I would go through Mike's.

Yeah I'm gonna make the decision over tacos in valley t. If we make it there fast we will go by mikes. If it's late than crossover road.

JBSTEVENS44

Man what a fantastic trip we had. First time I've ever done trips Couple of long days but really it was because we took some trails that we probably shouldn't have. I typically do trips on my dirtbike and it was hard for me to remember which trails were truck friendly. Best part about truck was not putting stinky gear on each day and wearing board shorts and flip flops.
It was also nice to be able to hop on the hwy to make up ground if needed. The wife has already started planning two return trips for the coming year so I guess the new truck was worth the purchase.

ehall

Glad your wife enjoyed it. Just did a similar trip and the wife didn't feel the baja magic. She had fun but says it's the same as any other parts of Mexico. Here was our trip.
Day 1. Tecate -ensenada - Santo Tomas - erindira.
Day 2. Erindira- observatory - melling
Day 3. Mellings - mikes- valle t for lunch - laguna diablo - san felipe

JBSTEVENS44

Glad your wife enjoyed it. Just did a similar trip and the wife didn't feel the baja magic. She had fun but says it's the same as any other parts of Mexico. Here was our trip.
Day 1. Tecate -ensenada - Santo Tomas - erindira.
Day 2. Erindira- observatory - melling
Day 3. Mellings - mikes- valle t for lunch - laguna diablo - san felipe

Well that's unfortunate. I've only been to Puerta vallarte, el golfo and rocky point. So it's not really fair to compare all of main land Mexico but from my experience. Baja is completely different. In my opinion there's nothing like the atmosphere and diversity of Baja. I love the ability to go from Pine forest to beach to desert all in the same day.