On Topic Baja Racers and highway etiquette

pdailey

Racer
Reaction
In the day we live in when we are racing these long Baja races, it's necessary that we use highway during the race. And at night. Something that doesn't get brought up enough and should is our LED and HID lights on the highway. Our lights are extremely blinding on the highway to cars going the other way and as racers, I think it's our responsibility to get proactive and make sure we do our part to not blind oncoming traffic with our race lights. I know I made sure that I turned all of our lights off except for a few on the bumper and I know even that is blinding by themselves. Perhaps a couple of lights should be added pointed low just for using on the highway. I saw a lot of videos with lights blaring on the highway and it's just inevitable something horrible happens with a local or chase truck. It's our responsibility. We are racing on their roads. We all want to get home to our families.

Last edited:

PAB

40's rock!
Reaction
Why the heck do some race cars leave their full set of lights on while on the highway.....I just don't get it

We run the highway with our fog/dust yellows only that are down low and pointed down. I saw trucks running roof bars and full bumper lights 15 miles after they got on the highway. At the very least turn your lights down to just two on the bumper for the highway.

I'm not perfect and I make mistakes so I understand mistakes and some decisions made on the fly but the lights on the highway seem like something we can all pay attention too, or try to.

Don't even get me started with the chase trucks running light bars while there is oncoming traffic, we dealt with it in the race truck the week a number of times.

By the way. When someone gets mad at someone who has bright lights and they turn on their HID/LED/brights to show them they run the risk of blinding someone into crossing into the lane they are traveling.

Last edited:

CJEFFERIES

Reaction
I agree 100 percent. I got blinded several times that night. I have 2 stock headlights and can see just fine. 2 hid lights should be plenty. The etiquette in this sport is going away. It's sad to see really. We are not entitled to this we are privileged to get to be part of it.

loufish

Reaction
How much light do you need to keep 60mph?.....I did see several trks cutting about half their lights for the pavement portion south of RM522....

Baja_Seve

Reaction
We discussed the use of LEDs on another thread prior to the race. I realize the issue here is about race vehicles with LEDs on the highway, but it's worse.

I chased for a top bike team on Hwy 3, and when I left El Chinero to return to Ensenada at 8:30PM on Friday night, I encountered chase truck after chase truck with LEDs on and not caring. I lost count. Based on what we discussed right here on RDC, I bought a DashCam which continuously records in 10 minute increments, and then saves. It was never-ending Friday night.

Here is just a small example. This is between Ojos Negros and Ensenada, a tight and twisty 2 lane highway. What a jackwagon. Believe me, there is a temporary blindness when this attacks your eyes.

motoman29

Reaction
it is pretty easy to turn off most of your lights. nobody needs full race lights on the pavement at 60mph.

I raced a bike on that section and I turned of my dual 8s and just ran my helmet light while I had oncoming vehicles.

I had several oncoming vehicles with blinding lights. Come on people, use your heads.

JoeyD23

Reaction
The highways are more dangerous than the race course I feel. We all pass the slow semi trucks, I like to think I do it safely. But when you are running through the narrows and chase trucks come flying by at 90mph around blind corners and all that, dude, I am like WTF is going on down here??? I was scared this year during the race leaving San Quitein (sp?). I won't blame it all on racers, many of the locals have a death wish. I was being passed in the construction areas of HWY3 by chase teams with dump cans in the back just being tossed around. I don't want to be the code red on weatherman. I was getting pissed off!

JaysinDesignz

Reaction
Agreed and its a shame a rule will need to be made for commonsense not being used.
Even then SCORE will need to require the rule to state the size of the lights used for hwy.

Nessy

Reaction
The chase trucks are out of control with their led/hid lights and its amazing something hasn't happened already. Of all the ones that I have flashed with the high beams, not one has turned them off.

Our team planned to turn off all led lights, except the 2 bumper ones on the race car.

johnnyweb

Reaction
I witnessed many unsafe, unnecessary and moronic chase vehicle driving actions Friday and Saturday morning. Passing inside on blind corners. Passing outside on blind corners. Blowing through stop signs in town etc. as well as many vehicles with there led bars on while on the road blinding me multiple times. One specific instances heading to the finish line in the mountains between Ojos and town. A chase truck branded to one of the TT teams was making stupid! passes to get to the finish line I guess. The funny part is we got to the finish line without endangering anyone an hour before that TT finished. Though we just missed our truck crossing the finish line I did not care we still got to toast a beer with them on the podium. We were not there to greet them at the finish line we were there to make sure they got to the finish line and won the race!

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

johndjmix

Reaction
On some of the dark mountain roads I turn on my lightbar but turn it off imeadiatly if I get near a blind corner or have any vehicle approaching. Anyone who keeps a lightbar on with approaching vehicles is just nuts!

It's easy to get caught up in the race and get in race mode on the street, and we should all be honest here - we all drive a bit different when chasing. That said there's a big difference from driving fast in the middle of no where on a road that you can see traffic from miles away and passing on the inside of a mountain road where you are literally risking everyone's life.

A chase vehicle passed me on the road to roserito in the mountains at an insane speed...had to be in excess of 110mph. If you know that road you know that speed is NUTS. Oh, and yes, he had all LED lightbars on

Let's all stay alive people.

--John

Trophylite #6013
Dunarri LLC
wildscooterparts.com
coolermods.com

BajaFand

Reaction
In Mexico at night it's so dark and the roads are so narrow, I totally understand why people use their lights. I grew up in the mountains on a windy 2 lane road. Everyone knows you turn off your brights when there's oncoming traffic or your behind someone. It's the law and it's just the right thing to do. I will use the LED's in Baja but always turn them off for oncoming traffic and always hope they do the same for me.

NIKAL

Reaction
Maybe it's time we start policing ourselves in regards to chase support. I know you can't tell who it is when their blinding you, but we need to start taking note as to who the teams and chase Trucks are who are not only endangering themselves, but other chasers and more important the general public who might or might not know what's going on or even care. This is one more example of how we will lose our places to race. At some point the Mexican Government might feel we are more harm then good to their country and citizens. At that point it might be to late to fix the problem.

Advantage West

Reaction
We were in Valle De Trinadad waiting for a driver change when we got a call to head to San Mateo for the driver change instead. So we headed back to Ensenada to go south. On our drive on Hwy 3 at 8:30 Friday night, everyone did a great job of getting there lights shut down as soon as a car came in sight. EXCEPT FOR ONE DICKHEAD, HE WOULDN'T SHUT HIS LIGHTS DOWN, SO I FLASHED HIM, HE THEN TURNED ON MORE LIGHTS, TOTAL PIECE OF poop WITH LACK OF LIFE RESPECT. YOU KNOW WHO YOU WERE, MIDWAY BETWEEN OJOS AND GOAT TRAIL. STAY HOME NEXT TIME YOU DOUCHE BAG.

ACME

Reaction
So call out the teams you saw doing stupid stuff and where.

We've called out many teams and contacted/emailed the owners over the years, not hard to do and if they can't or won't control their people then the sport needs to know who they are.

I'll start: The Potts TT looping it twice in video off the start in town? Ego, adrenaline and a lack of maturity in a TT is a bad cocktail mix...

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
Reaction
I'll start: The Potts TT looping it twice in video off the start in town? Ego, adrenaline and a lack of maturity in a TT is a bad cocktail mix...
That's a tough one though, Robby Gordon has spun out and backed into the fence. Other really good drivers have done the same leaving town and some entering town.

EBryant

Reaction
Its more than just racers. Had a spectator in a Jeep Cherokee coming at us near Borrego with a 20" light bar along with the stock high beams on. I flashed him and he kicked the high beams down, but left the light bar on. We just had to laugh at that one. Probably didn't even know it was on because it was daylight, Saturday AM. The bar was still blinding in the daylight.

RedRide

Reaction
18 wheelers run up and down the peninsula all night without led bars. If you need that much light to drive on the highway you probably shouldn't be driving.

bajadreamer

Reaction
I'm no expert but seems to me a rule of any MPH restrictions means racers are supposed to obey ALL general traffic laws "including" legal nighttime driving laws I.E. "lights"

It's crazy to me that rules have to be implemented to take place of common sense , thanks Obama