Baja Radios?

TKowns

Reaction
Anyone know any good baja radios that i could buy so I can communicate with my pit crew? I need one that is easy to set up and use and i need it quick because im racing some score and snore races this year.

dr shaw6

Reaction
Hey sweetdevil. Will the FCC's new narrowbanding law effect the race freq. According to the FCC website it will go into effect Jan. 2013.

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
Hey sweetdevil. Will the FCC's new narrowbanding law effect the race freq. According to the FCC website it will go into effect Jan. 2013.
I'm no FCC guru but I don't think it will have any affect on race freqs being used. Racers have freqs they use but I'm pretty sure the majority of them are not registered with the FCC for private business. I think PCI, SCORE, maybe BFG and some others have some FCC licensed freqs between 150-174mHz.

The mandate affects systems (Federal, Public Safety, Utilities, Enterprise and private business) and their respective radios, infrastructure equipment, and FCC licenses. I don't know if PCI, Rugged, or other radio businesses are LMR (Land Mobile Radio) systems per se. Rather companies that sell/service/program radios.

As far as programming radios under the new mandate...most of the newer radios circulating these days are 12.5kHz programmable or can be upgraded to narrowband compatible (software is already in place). Again, don't quote me, just going on my general knowledge.

That being said...I would be interested to hear PCI, other companies, BFG, etc... thoughts/knowledge on this subject.

dr shaw6

Reaction
Thanks for the reply Waldo. Im pretty sure your a HAM also. I was curious if these companies selling pre-programmed radios would Have to Follow the new guidlines, and if they did, what would that do to the Race freqs. that have been around for a while.

manicmechanic

Reaction
My understanding is someone owns the frequencies in the commercial band for a region. Unauthorized use of that band is likely a federal crime. In Mexico I think it is all illegal so don't worry about it!
Narrow banding is bound to have a final date, even if it keeps getting moved. Stepping on someones freq is bound to fall on the radio shop if the radio is not customer programmable. Seems if the band width rights owned is narrowed you are going to have to operate within it.