• Forum membership has its advantages....

Baja Rally 2017 Route?

Hog Wild

Generally rally routes are kept fairly secret, except NORRA Mexican 1000 which is run slightly differently than a true navigation rally. For sure the routes are secret for Sonora Rally, which travels in a lot of places where there is and has been no other off-road racing. One thing to consider is that often the routes pass through land that requires special permissions from ejido owners, special government permits, and possibly temporary opening of normally locked gates. One way of obtaining access to those special places is to assure there will be little or no vehicle traffic before and after the event to minimize impact to the roads and trails. I can't speak for baja rally, but they do promote the concept of minimizing impact to the terrain. And I have never seen them publish their routes in past years.

stewwalker

Generally rally routes are kept fairly secret, except NORRA Mexican 1000 which is run slightly differently than a true navigation rally. For sure the routes are secret for Sonora Rally, which travels in a lot of places where there is and has been no other off-road racing. One thing to consider is that often the routes pass through land that requires special permissions from ejido owners, special government permits, and possibly temporary opening of normally locked gates. One way of obtaining access to those special places is to assure there will be little or no vehicle traffic before and after the event to minimize impact to the roads and trails. I can't speak for baja rally, but they do promote the concept of minimizing impact to the terrain. And I have never seen them publish their routes in past years.
So basically I'll never know the stage routes unless I enter the rally? Just when I thought Baja couldn't get any MORE secretive.

Sent from my iPad using race-deZert mobile app

Almost all of the Baja Rally is run on private land with the express permission of the land owners and local authorities in the region. Riding the routes outside of the Rally would be trespassing and could even seriously endanger the rider.

As Baja Dad said "join the rally" and see for yourself.