• Forum membership has its advantages....

baja road trip

43mod

So business sucking pretty hard right now. Attitude is not great. Wife is beyond awesome but not much into roughing it. Thinking about leaving her at our now super bright yellow casa South of Puertecitos and taking a buddy for a 10 day drive South. If I stay in PC I will just work for 10 days. Will have a slow Bronco, 2 fishing poles and sleeping bags.
After lunch in Gonzaga and a beer w Coco what spots do we need to wander to ? I am Baja 1000 race and pre run familiar . Not sure where to point towards to just take it easy. Mid March jump off point.
Ideas ? Maps ? contacts ? Lobsters ?

Slippery P

Jealous!!!!

JDDurfey

I am no expert in Baja, other than during the races. But I would love to go back to the Mulege area and hang out on those beaches. Also, I had to rescue a race car from San Juanico once. That was a pretty cool place too, I don't know what the road conditions are like now going in there, it was '07 when I was there.

43mod

San Juanico could be a target. I have been through multiple times. Never stopped long enough to have a beer.

y2kbaja

If it's a 10-day adventure leave the map and plan at home. From Coco's decide Pacific or Sea of Cortez and turn left or right. When you hit water go south.

troyharper

DA Meatball
I love the Loretto area. You might want to tour the missions on the way down.
Scorpion bay is cool. There are nearly 2,000 whales & calves in baja sur right now.

43mod

no map / plan is probably the choice. Just don't want to miss something cool. We may not make it too far just to not spend all our time driving. I have heard a little about going South of G. Negro . Anybody done some exploring down there ?

troyharper

DA Meatball
image.jpeg

3 Amigos Racing

Conception Bay, Loreto, Scorpion Bay and then to La Paz area for Balandra Beach and Tecalote Beach.

la paz el tecolote beach.jpg

43mod

well we took a shot at the trip. 3 days of NORRA 2 chasing 1 fixing broken truck that headed for home .
2 days on beach in Laventana SE of Lapaz . Dos Mares contingency . Back to Loreto to stay a day and meet up w friends again. Went to San Basile (SP ?) a very cool little cove N of Loreto for a party and camping. Waded in a bay of Manta Rays trying to recue a sinking boat. Manta Rays scare the crap out of me now. Watched the sunrise over a beautiful Sea of Cortaz /bay then traveled up to Santa Rosalalita to watch the sunset on the Pacific. Vey good day. Wind blowing like mad. Decided to make BOLA for a very needed shower. Head back for a feeding frenzy in San F ,Mexicali then Tecate before heading back over the line. Gone 3 full weekends ! Never done that before,ever. Stopped in Vist at buddy Brandons shop to meet potential Bronco buyer. Great guy who appreciated what the rig was and paid a fair price for it. Thanks Brandon for the help. Did not do all we could have but saw things we have never been able to stop at before. Ready to head to San F Wed night with couple of brand new to Baja guys and watch the 500. Bringing new RZR 1000 T 4 seater Should be fun.
Thanks for all the tips. Vaya con Dios Russ