• Forum membership has its advantages....

Baja-Score Rescue Helicopter update/info needed

As a race team would you pay a $200 “Air Rescue” fee per event for a dedicated air rescue helicopter

• Yes

Votes: 63 92.6%
  • No

Votes: 5 7.4%

• Total voters

Flat Foot

With all the recent forum activity regarding rescue helicopters operating in Baja I figured that its time I chime in and give the community an update...

My company HP Helicopters own’s and operate’s the high performance medium size helicopter that is known as the "SCORE Rescue Helicopter" during SCORE events. SCORE and I started discussions at the beginning of this year regarding increasing the capabilities of the air rescue program. Since that time SCORE has really shown their commitment to safety and we have made significant improvements in the program resulting in a very capable "Flying Fire Truck" as we call it. Our 14 seat, 1800 horsepower helicopter spends most of its life doing emergency response and aerial construction contracts in the US and in support of SCORE Intl race events we bring it to Baja and load it with Jaws of life, power spreaders, sawzall, chemical fire extinguishers, water fire extinguishers and a couple of fantastic fully equipped medics. This 5 man crew and helicopter has the ability to fly for 4 hours straight at 140 MPH to an incident, extinguish a fire, use the helicopter to flip over a trophy truck, cut-saw-spread tubing, extract drivers and administer a high level of onsite medical care.

This is a very capable asset that is here for all race associated personnel, participants and spectators during the SCORE races and has been very effective at this year’s Baja 500 and last weeks Baja 1000. Unfortunately there are limitations associated with the program, limitations that we are working hard to try and overcome. The two main limitations are that the helicopter is sometimes needed in two places at once and we can’t safely/legally fly at night. Our ultimate goal is to be able to operate two NVG "Night Vision Goggle" equipped SCORE Rescue Helicopters for the entire duration of the event but flying in Mexico at night is an obstacle that has not been safely overcome by any legal S.A.R "Search and Rescue" civilian helicopter to my knowledge. Currently our company make’s big concessions to even have one helicopter there due to SCORE’s limited budget and unfortunately we can’t absorb the cost of dedicating our second helicopter to the event.

Good news is that we have a solid plan and preliminary authorization from the Mexican government to conduct the night flight NVG operations but the operational funding requirements exceed SCORE's budget and my own. The government agencies like the Army, Coast Guard, LA County fire and other air rescue night operations utilize existing training programs that ensures that the operations can be conducted safely and effectively along with utilizing an existing infrastructure that simply doesn't exist in Mexico. That means our operation must exceed basic standards to be safe for the flight crews. The bottom line is that it is going to take significant funding to get the night flying program and/or the second helicopter online and then consistent funding to keep them going.
So that is the short answer to everyone's questions and comments on why we don't have more rescue helicopters and why they don't they fly at night.

While I continue to find initial funding solutions I am reaching out to you race teams with a question…

As a race team would you support or deny paying a $200 “Air Rescue” fee per event to support the continued operation of the “Rescue Helicopter”?

This is just a hypothetical question/poll that I have not presented to SCORE, your feedback is greatly appreciated..

Please use the poll at the top of this page if your an active race team.

If you have questions feel free to P.M or contact me direct [email protected]

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Cody and Marks family.....terrible news

732.PNG
049.PNG
030.JPG

Last edited:

off2desert

Thanks very informative, 200.00 per vehicle is nothing compared to human life and what you guys do.The only other alternative i see making sense is making the 1000 a 2 day event/race of some sort.

calstyl2

NVG's wont work with absolute black of remote Baja mixed in with high power offroad lighting randomly being shined.
What needs to happen is better ground resources to transport to a airship staged in a location to deal with incidents. While the helo was in Ensenada all night, what if it was kept in Ojos and available at first light. SCORE seems to only think about the daylight hours. Flying a NVG ship into Mike's or Diablo Lake bed is a good way to become a static real fast.

johndjmix

Defiantly we would have no problem at all with the $200 per race!

I like what I'm reading here. Let's hope it happens.

--John

Trophylite #6013
Dunarri LLC
wildscooterparts.com
coolermods.com

Bro_Gill

Curious what your destinations are going to be when transporting injured? To the States or hand off in country for further eval and final destination to be made? And what won't you fly? Having been in the business for a long time, there needs to be some stand fast rules that preclude separated shoulders and simple fractures from being sent by helo. Who is going to come up with your triage list?

CRAIG_HALL

Obviously many teams wouldn't think twice about a $200, done deal for many of them. I'm sure those teams that already bring helicopters would want the extra night coverage for sure, especially since they only get to use them for a 1/3 of the typical Baja 1000 race.

racinteach

Great idea, but Robert up a few post is correct as well. More ground people.. but also use the resources that are roaming around baja as well. Many teams have firefighter, paramedics and nurses with them. Why not have a list of those teams and members and an approximate location of where they will chasing or pitting and when crap hits the fan, you can look at the list and get em out there for preliminary assessment and treatment. Then they can make the call for helo or ground..

GBRACER

Still missing the point racing both ways on a road seems to be the issue
I can just read the international news somewhere like Europe "race car driver killed while racing ona two way race track"
Put helio's everywhere you can't fix stupid.

fishd00d

What A Joke
This is awesome to hear that the government may be open to allowing a medic helicopter to fly at night. Please keep on this and hopefully one day the cost can be figure out and this can happen. Great job!

Robin Hood

Still missing the point racing both ways on a road seems to be the issue
I can just read the international news somewhere like Europe "race car driver killed while racing ona two way race track"
Put helio's everywhere you can't fix stupid.
Two way traffic on a two lane paved road is not the main issue...there is many other contributing factors.

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
Two way traffic on a two lane paved road is not the main issue...there is many other contributing factors.
But it's not just "two way traffic on a two lane paved road."

It's, two way racing at night with chase crews, local traffic, pits, semis, fatigue, and blinding lights.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

jeff

Let's keep this thread on track. If you aren't positively contributing to the goal of a safer race you are kindly encouraged to either go post in a different thread or simply not post at all.

El Mamito USMC

So no opinions right? Got it!

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today
you can and please do have them.just try not to deviate the thread from the original intent.

ill be racing the 2017 season and im down to pay the extra 200 directly to the helo team to have another asset on disposal

JaysinDesignz

Its a great idea I fully support but I will be the cheap guy thinking about the limited fund guys.
What if the helicopter isn't used that race at all and never gets in the air. Does any of that unused expenses money roll into the next race to lessen the cost again?

We have all bitched about IRC tracker costs but when needed for an emergency it helps.

El Mamito USMC

Its a great idea I fully support but I will be the cheap guy thinking about the limited fund guys.
What if the helicopter isn't used that race at all and never gets in the air. Does any of that unused expenses money roll into the next race to lessen the cost again?

We have all bitched about IRC tracker costs but when needed for an emergency it helps.
great question...

JRod

fast-aid.org

From the conversations I've had with people the last couple days, the expense is for equipment and training to allow the helo to operate safely at night.

tapeworm

Great Idea and if I can help in any way possible please feel free to contact me. I have been a firefighter on a fire department helicopter for 4 years and involved in hoist rescue as well. I think the extra $200 should go into the entry fee as it's much cheaper than paying the price of not making it home to see your family and loved ones.