spalind

Reaction

Attachments

• IMG_1298.jpg
    IMG_1298.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 152

spalind

Reaction
Wow, did'n know they run Opel now also. Is that with the V6 ??

Not sure...the Baja Slovakia site was mostly in Czech (?) and there wasn't much coverage elsewhere...looked like a sweet race over some great terrain. Shame there wasn't more coverage of it...

And I didn't realize till now that the Opel Antara is actually what we have as a Saturn Vue...never would have expected someone to race one of those!!

M

memin.pinguine

Funny, it's Opel in Europe, in US they sell as Saturn ( at least part of the Opel models) and here in MEX they sell them as Chevrolet....

michalCCR

Reaction
Hello everybody.
I didn't expect someone not from Central Europe would know Baja Slovakia. Sorry guys that I didn't wrote any press release in English, but the race kept me busy whole weekend.
Just short review: The race took place in Slovakia, about 80 km from capital city Bratislava. Two special stages were prepared - the short one was 8 km long loop ridden twice on rally-cross track and long one was 50 km of sand madness. Both SS were on program three times on Saturday and same on Sunday.
21 cars in three categories started, main favorite was Balázs Szalay with Opel Antara. His car is powered by 7-l., V8, LS7 Chevrolet engine. And I can tell you, it runs really great. Szalay won 11 out of 12 stages, he was beaten just once by only 1 second.
Erik Korda was the man who stole the sole victory with his South Africa built Nissan Navara. He runs his second season in cross counrty rally and finished fourth in this year's Hungarian championship.
Czech pilot Mirek Zapletal with Mitsubishi Pajer DiD was third for the most of the race, he withdrew after nine stages. Third place went to Czech pilot Jiří Přibyl with his home-made Nissan.
The race completed 13 cars (out of 21), 10 quads (of 13), all six motorbikes and also one truck. My photogallery can be seen here: http://www.autosportfoto.sk/gallery.php?cat=794

Thank you for your interest.