Baja Spain Aragon

M

memin.pinguine

Stéphane Peterhansel and Joan ‘Nani’ Roma, and a two-car Yser Racing Team entry from Portugal joined the X-raid Team after the Transiberico Rally and before a recent test session around Erfoud in Morocco. They will make their BMW team competition debut across the demanding Spanish Baja stages, which are likely to be hot and dusty in the heat of a Spanish summer. The complete press release here...

randy s

Reaction
that sure will be alot different than when i went to see the first few stages of dakar in 06 from lisbon down to malaga spain. that was about as cold and wet and miserable as it gets for trying to spectate a race if you're not used to it i guess . i can definately see where it would be really hot and dusty in the summertime. i'll take the summertime any day. dust and all. who is the sanctioning body for this? the ASO or ?

spalind

Reaction
This event seems to be a testing run for the BMW factory team with all their top racers entered just like the "mini-dakar" in Brazil was a testing run for all the VW teams...

M

memin.pinguine

This event seems to be a testing run for the BMW factory team with all their top racers entered just like the "mini-dakar" in Brazil was a testing run for all the VW teams...
Somewhat I guess so also - just x-raid is not a "real" factory team yet all them new drivers need to get to know their new "workplace" while racing. I'm sure the fans are happy about that.

The next question would be:

Where does Robby Gordon get's a chance to do a "test-run" under race conditions.....?? He real deserves it putting a lot into that race the last years when driving for VW as well Hummer

spalind

Reaction
Somewhat I guess so also - just x-raid is not a "real" factory team yet all them new drivers need to get to know their new "workplace" while racing. I'm sure the fans are happy about that.

The next question would be:

Where does Robby Gordon get's a chance to do a "test-run" under race conditions.....?? He real deserves it putting a lot into that race the last years when driving for VW as well Hummer

"under race conditions"?? Don't know if RG has ever tested it under race conditions prior to a Dakar...he has run it once after bringing it back from the Dakar but I don't believe its ever been run competitivly prior to a Dakar...

M

memin.pinguine

Joan “Nani” Roma victory for X-Raid

1. Joan Roma (E)/Michel Périn (F) BMW X3 CC 7h 25m 00s
2. Stéphane Peterhansel (F)/Jean-Paul Cottret (F) BMW X3 CC 7h 29m 03s
3. Filipe Campos (P)/Jaime Baptista (P) BMW X3 CC 7h 34m 14s
4. Nicolas Misslin (F)/Jean-Michel Polato (F) Mitsubishi MRX 09 7h 43m 19s
5. Tonni van Deijne (NL)/Wouter Rosegaar (NL) Mitsubishi Pajero 8h 11m 54s
6. Rui Sousa (P)/Carlos Silva (P) Isuzu D-Max 8h 14m 41s
7. Miroslav Zapletal (CZ)/Tomas Ourednicek (CZ) Mitsubishi L200 8h 33m 12s
8. Jean-Louis Schlesser (F)/Jean-Paul Forthomme (F) Schlesser-Buggy 8h 29m 26s
9. Maurizio Traglio (I)/Fabian Lurquin (B) Nissan Pathfinder 8h 31m 24s
10. Bernardo Moniz da Maia (P)/Joana Sotto-Mayor (P) BMW X3 CC 8h 33m 03s
TBA. Guerlain Chicherit (F)/Tina Thörner (S) BMW X3 CC 9h 41m 43s

spalind

Reaction
Joan “Nani” Roma victory for X-Raid

1. Joan Roma (E)/Michel Périn (F) BMW X3 CC 7h 25m 00s
2. Stéphane Peterhansel (F)/Jean-Paul Cottret (F) BMW X3 CC 7h 29m 03s
3. Filipe Campos (P)/Jaime Baptista (P) BMW X3 CC 7h 34m 14s
4. Nicolas Misslin (F)/Jean-Michel Polato (F) Mitsubishi MRX 09 7h 43m 19s
5. Tonni van Deijne (NL)/Wouter Rosegaar (NL) Mitsubishi Pajero 8h 11m 54s
6. Rui Sousa (P)/Carlos Silva (P) Isuzu D-Max 8h 14m 41s
7. Miroslav Zapletal (CZ)/Tomas Ourednicek (CZ) Mitsubishi L200 8h 33m 12s
8. Jean-Louis Schlesser (F)/Jean-Paul Forthomme (F) Schlesser-Buggy 8h 29m 26s
9. Maurizio Traglio (I)/Fabian Lurquin (B) Nissan Pathfinder 8h 31m 24s
10. Bernardo Moniz da Maia (P)/Joana Sotto-Mayor (P) BMW X3 CC 8h 33m 03s
TBA. Guerlain Chicherit (F)/Tina Thörner (S) BMW X3 CC 9h 41m 43s

Yup...not good results for the two top of the line Nissans that were entered (Gadasin and Holowyczk). I believe they both blew their engines on the first day....

randy s

Reaction
"under race conditions"?? Don't know if RG has ever tested it under race conditions prior to a Dakar...he has run it once after bringing it back from the Dakar but I don't believe its ever been run competitivly prior to a Dakar...
robby has shaken down the hummer in the baja 500 before. it was the one before last junes race. that was when he was having hub issues and he ended his race on the dry lake after the summit. the year before that, bob gordon was in the hummer at the 500 and was taken out early after getting nailed by pat dean. that was in the older configuration h-3. that was sort of a match race initially between the h-3 and the two touregs that vw entered. score even gave them their own class to race in for that one kinda like what the aso does with rg's hummers.