BAJA THEFT ...... Is it back ?

deano

McDeano
Reaction
After this years 1000, there were no real reports, or any RDC threads about robberies and thefts happening at this race. But on another social media, I've seen and heard of several vehicle break-ins and one entire vehicle with a trailer and a race car were stolen in Ensenada - in broad daylight mind you.... I personally have been a victim of said crime, back a few years ago (07 - $11,000 in loss's and damages) and it took me a few years after that, to even go back down there. Not only the theft's, but the kidnappings at that time too :eek:. Now I've since been back and have had NO PROBLEMS at all .... Was anyone else or teams that you know, were victims this year ? ... (This is not a BAJA bash post, but just an observation and informative thread)

Ilovebaja

Reaction
YOLO racing van, but they posted it immediately to Aficionados Responsables and someone responded within hours of seeing the van in Rosarito and another responded to him immediately that he had just seen it and went back where he saw it and called the cops, 1 YOLO racing van recovered with the robber, the team had to be there asap to denounce the theft or the guy would go free. yes they made it, recovered the van intact. I think the teams should put thick chains and to tie the tires to a post or together, anyone trying to cut it off is bound to get attention. I rather look stupid tying them down than making a report

Last edited:

WickedGravityVideo

Reaction
my '03 suburban was broken into -- punched out lock on driver door and laptop was taken. quick entry and exit. I was parked at the potato restaurant in downtown ensenada -- cops were all over the place and even came up to our table and harrassed a young kid that was with us outside the restaurant -- I was unaware my car was compromised at that point. i hate vandals. that laptop will be only worth $100 tops to them if they can guess my password. I tried to report it to a cop that did not understand english, so my spanish was gonna have to do -- i doubt he even followed through - wanted me to go to the station.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
We got hit at the potato place at last years 500. All the tools inside the cab of the truck. Broke through a side window. Fast! Maybe not such a great neighborhood any more?

Tuki

Reaction
Potato place, where is it located?

Sent from my BLU VIVO SELFIE using Tapatalk

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
Is it Los Carbones across from Las Palmas hotel by the Rv park? Or is there another potato taco place?

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

WickedGravityVideo

Reaction
Carbones with the spaceman door greeter! There were cops running all over when I came outside from my tasty mexican potato goodness. I peed next to my car and was worried more about being ticketed for such vulgar behavior than worried that the cops were probably chasing the dude with my computer!

Is it Los Carbones across from Las Palmas hotel by the Rv park? Or is there another potato taco place?

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

lxh0318

Reaction
Off Road Evolution team had their chase truck stolen out of the guarded lot at the Corona hotel. I also heard of multiple break ins.

mebedb1

Reaction
Pre race thefts? or post race thefts?
our Lot Boy/Security guard was pretty hammered Saturday by 5:00pm.
made me just a bit concerned throughout the night...

Mike321

Reaction
Off topic: Tio Papas, cady corner from Bronco's -- fantastic baked potatoes.

We didn't have any issues with theft.

facteryfmf

Reaction
We had a chase truck bed full of tools, generator and welder, spare parts all spam from the paid/fenced parking lot south of the start line between 1030am and 1200pm on race day

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

facteryfmf

Reaction
I also think the truck next to us had a bunch of stuff stolen as their straps in the bed were all lose and hanging off the besides

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Baja_Seve

Reaction
2 separate moto racers had their vans broken into (keyholes punched) parked outside of Carbones across from Las Palmas Hotel the week before the race. Laptop, backpacks, passport, cash stolen. One van contained race bike and wheels but left untouched.
Carbones definitely has a problem. Las Palmas suspects the "night watchman" at used car lot across the street is the instigator.

offroadracer516

Reaction
This really takes the fun out of racing down south. Is it really worth having your stuff stolen??

offroadracer516

Reaction
unfortunately you gotta lug it to your room.
No different than leaving your tools in the truck in Cali.! opportunity...
Im sorry but its totally different. We leave our stuff around at the races and our random desert trips in Cali,Nevada and Arizona all the time without issue. Kinda of forced to with our open trailer. Sounds like you can't even get a bite to eat in baja without someone stealing from you.

pdailey

Racer
Reaction
Also have heard of stuff being stolen out of the back of trucks in the Buffalo Bills parking lot as well.

And on a more personal experience when I was helping the Greaves one year at Chula Vista, somebody walked out of our pit with a brand new hood. Like I said. Scum bags everywhere.