BAJA THEFT ...... Is it back ?

M_Solms

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
mhttp://www.ravelco.com/index.html Myself I realize I am going into a country with a good amount of less than middle class people if you will. We always go overboard with cable locks as well as a cable/chain through seat feame and steering wheel. I believe it was 2007 I came out to my drivers door wide open but truck was still there with steering wheel locked. Since then I've looked into Ravelco. Nothing will stop a thief but you can cut the temptation and possibly keep your ride with a couple more minutes of hauling your stuff to your room and keeping it out of site when looking into the vehicle. A padlock on the steering wheel kept my truck in its "guarded hotel parking lot" and I replaced my door lock at home.
And for those that did fall prey, man i'm truly sorry. thieves just suck.

I have had the Ravelco on my E-350 van for about 10 years now with no problems. It has never been tested by a theif yet but I feel better when I park it somewhere.

Baja Bryan

Reaction
I have had more cars and stuff stolen in USA than in Mexico and I have lived in Mexicali for 10 years. I had a chase truck full of stuff and no problem. Just need lock it up or take into the hotel. If we go to contingence then we leave someone to watch the truck. But yes if its not locked up or being watched can get stolen. But I also see on facebook lots of trailers, quads, dirtbikes, trucks posting rewards from being stolen in USA..

harleys dad

Reaction
When I was racing the Baja races I always stayed at the Corona hotel and seemed like a nice truck would get stolen from there almost every year at the 500 and 1000 or broken into. the truck right next to mine vanished in the time it took the guy to take his stuff to his room and walk back for more and not knowing I saw it drive off. There are some expert theifs on the prowl during the big races, raced quite a few record races and have not herd of one being stolen during their events.

PAB

40's rock!
Reaction
Sadly there are sheet heads everywhere.....

I would say we travel Baja as much as most and luckily we have not had continuous issues. True we come in hot with a large group and yes we are paying attention and do hire security at times and always tip accordingly (money and or product)

We do at times, in US and Mex, lock trucks and equipment with real chains and locks as in my opinion if they can see thick chain and locks they will look at the next truck instead of ours. Buffalo Bills is a place we chain our vehicles at times. We have 4 100 foot chains in small buckets.

10 years ago we lost a tool box in Barstow in the Holiday Inn lot
5 years ago lost a complete light bar in Parker (but as Dean said above it was recovered and people were prosecuted)
7 years ago Dean's truck was hit outside the lot on the street near San Nicholas
4 years ago bags were stollen from in front of my house out of my truck...Heidi wedding ring in the bag

I have never heard of anything going missing inside the San Nicholas lot and when we used to stay at Villa Marina there never seemed to be any problem. If a place has recurring issues then it's more than likely supported by an insider and I would not stay at those places if possible

43mod

Reaction
maybe we should pitch in and buy one of those parking lots. We could build race team central and have a hell of a valuable property.

y2kbaja

Reaction
Several trips to Baja. The only time I was ever worried about my possessions and removed radio, gps, everything from my truck was staying overnight at the motel in Barstow at the Lenwood exit.

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
Website
www.racers-only.com
I've only had one break-in on my truck in Mexico and that was the 2010 NORRA race in Mexicali. I got to my truck that morning while it was still dark and the interior light was on, then noticed the key hole was punched out. We must have broke up the theft because everything was still in my truck. I chalked it up to leaving myself as a target because I had camera equipment, GPS, radios and other expensive stuff in plain view to get robbed. That was my bad, and I know better. The easier we make it for thieves the more we can expect to have our stuff stolen. Like PAB said, if you have your stuff locked up they will look for an easier target.

With that said I've had 2 cars stolen from my front yard and also a couple break-ins. I have been ripped off more in the states then I have ever been in Mexico probably because I put my guard down when at home.

ScottyA

Reaction
We lost 4 pit boxes and a generator at the paid dirt lot south of start finish. Went to the start morning of the race and came back and they were gone. First time all week they weren't locked. Got in a hurry race morning. Another day lost a backpack out of the cab of the truck. Think it wasn't locked!! Our bad. Guess next time teams should pitch in and pay a team member to patrol the dirt lot.

dirtslinger

Reaction
The desert stole our Black Maxtrax somewhere before the BFG pits at El Crucero. We're thinking they got loose in that Whoop section. Anyone happen to find them?

johndjmix

Reaction
Nothing stolen at all. Parked all over.

Can someone tell me about this potato place. Sounds delicious and, other than the race, my main focus in Mexico is food!

--John

Dunarri LLC
wildscooterparts.com
coolermods.com

philofab