• Forum membership has its advantages....

Baja Travel: Tent, RTT or Pop Up Trailer

3 Amigos Racing

Kicking around ideas for Baja travel (not pre run) and wanted some thoughts.. I am liking the idea of a good canvas style 10x14 tent, I have no issues with a small pop up trailer and some interest on an RTT..

Vehicles are a Jeep Cherokee 4x4, a Nissan Xterra 2wd and a full size Dodge 4x4. Prefer the Cherokee.

Mostly beach camping at San Felipe, Gonzaga, BOLA, Scorpion Bay and Loreto areas. Also a few Sonora Mexico beach trips to San Carlos area.

Prefer easy access beaches for boon docking but also good for secure rv campground in the right areas too for a change of pace if available.

3-4 day weekends from my home in Phoenix with the wifey along too.

No hard core off roading, and don't want to break camp every time when heading for tacos and beer.

Need a clean pooper system permanent or disposable. Need water storage. Cooking not a big part we like searching for tacos, shower often a must have. We have an ARB fridge in the vehicle and a small Yamaha generator.

Of the three what do you feel is the best platform?

Last edited:

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
Well, you never have to back up while towing a tent.

Aren't most pop-up's equipped with small diameter wheels/tires?

Do you want to deal with a relatively wide travel trailer on narrow Baja roads?

No trailer may speed border crossings...

Take the Jeep.

3 Amigos Racing

I'm ok with the trailer width and backing.. Doing the drive only day time less than 200 miles a stint.. The pop up behind the dodge is easy..behind the jeep and Xterra the width looks funky and more work..

Thinking Petes Camp style camping most spots.. Last night I discounted the roof top tent.. Today I'm thinking RTT better than a pop up trailer..Still like the tent for base camp roominess.. A springbar style canvas as its good in wind, rain, heat.

Any pros cons on a tent or RTT you can think of? The RTT is just small.. If it were just me pitting and chasing I would do it.. A few days camped and the wife I don't think I could be happy.

Slippery P

A Callen on the back of a full size 4wd is the only way to go in my opinion, done many a Baja miles like this.
My last one had a bed platform which sat on the bed rails and fit a queen size mattress with all storage underneath and surfboards hung in the ceiling. Safe & secure.
IMG_1967.JPG

JDDurfey

There is a guy in Bluff Dale Texas that makes a camper similar to the above camper. The brand is Capri. A lot of rodeo guys use them because they are light and small. I don't know what he charges, I have never looked into it.

3 Amigos Racing

The Capri Cowboy could be a good new choice. I don't see many Callens around but also good.

Chris_Wilson

Some good info on this topic over at Expedition Portal Expedition Portal Forum

I just finished an off road camper build. Prior I have had a few Callen's and a very large Lance.

This time we considered a 4x4 Van but still wanted to be able to tow so we went with a self contained camper on a new F350. Total weight the same as a loaded 4x4 Sportmobile but it can still tow 10k. The camper I picked has a full north/south cabover with queen bed but is flush with the back of the 8ft bed allowing for custom swing gate to hold the 37" spare plus the box with the generator and bbq. Camper has shower, head, microwave, stove, fridge, heater, air cond, etc. Solar power runs all except A/C and Microwave. Added Aux fuel tank, extra fresh water tanks, custom suspension with 2.5" ICON shocks, air bags, gears, lockers, winch, lights, bumpers, on board air, gps, vhf, etc. Was able to fit 37's with only 2.5" lift by using OEM Ford 17" wheels. Camper is an Adventurer 80RB which is a very lightweight model designed for 1/2 ton shortbeds but it works awesome on a big 1 ton long bed. I still need to fab the skid plates and do some work on the bumper box for the geni and bbq but so far super happy with the choice. Very capable off road and 1000x nicer than a Callen.

And for trips where this is just too much we use the Raptor for tent camping. Have that setup so I can refill it from a pair of 11 gal dumps with an electric transfer pump to almost double it's range. Special rack holds ez-up, chairs, cots, tent, plus 2 7gal waters plus big cooler, and gear bags. The ARB fridge ties down in the back seat and we have an ice maker than runs on the inverter. Just because it's tent camping does not mean you should not be able to make your own ice on that remote beach!

Last edited:

Chris_Wilson

I made a blender from a starter motor on my last rig and mounted it on the front bumper so it could share power cables with the winch. Your average blender is 300 watts. This one was 3000 watts. It would puree blocks of ice.

Slippery P

Some good info on this topic over at Expedition Portal Expedition Portal Forum

I just finished an off road camper build. Prior I have had a few Callen's and a very large Lance.

This time we considered a 4x4 Van but still wanted to be able to tow so we went with a self contained camper on a new F350. Total weight the same as a loaded 4x4 Sportmobile but it can still tow 10k. The camper I picked has a full north/south cabover with queen bed but is flush with the back of the 8ft bed allowing for custom swing gate to hold the 37" spare plus the box with the generator and bbq. Camper has shower, head, microwave, stove, fridge, heater, air cond, etc. Solar power runs all except A/C and Microwave. Added Aux fuel tank, extra fresh water tanks, custom suspension with 2.5" ICON shocks, air bags, gears, lockers, winch, lights, bumpers, on board air, gps, vhf, etc. Was able to fit 37's with only 2.5" lift by using OEM Ford 17" wheels. Camper is an Adventurer 80RB which is a very lightweight model designed for 1/2 ton shortbeds but it works awesome on a big 1 ton long bed. I still need to fab the skid plates and do some work on the bumper box for the geni and bbq but so far super happy with the choice. Very capable off road and 1000x nicer than a Callen.

And for trips where this is just too much we use the Raptor for tent camping. Have that setup so I can refill it from a pair of 11 gal dumps with an electric transfer pump to almost double it's range. Special rack holds ez-up, chairs, cots, tent, plus 2 7gal waters plus big cooler, and gear bags. The ARB fridge ties down in the back seat and we have an ice maker than runs on the inverter. Just because it's tent camping does not mean you should not be able to make your own ice on that remote beach!
Pics please.

JDDurfey

I made a blender from a starter motor on my last rig and mounted it on the front bumper so it could share power cables with the winch. Your average blender is 300 watts. This one was 3000 watts. It would puree blocks of ice.
I have always thought those weed eater engine powered blenders were cool, but I never could justify buying one. I would have a reason to with a rig like yours.

Chris_Wilson

I don't remember the brand, and I keep it in a golf club travel bag so looking at it won't tell me. There might be a label on it if I set it up. It's a conventional ez-up 4-man dome tent. We put a heavy tarp on the ground then tent on that. And we carry a roll of astroturf that we unroll inside the tent then setup our cots inside. The astroturf keeps the cot legs from puncturing the tent floor and keeps the dog claws from tearing it. Has 6ft headroom in the middle.

Have you noticed that it's almost impossible to put a tent or sleeping bag back into the bags they ship with?
The golf club travel bag is sturdy, roomy and also carries over sized stakes and hammer for beach sand. Can fit the tarp in the bag too.

TMorford

What about an RTT on a small trailer? Friend and I are building these as a side gig. He has a fully caged Bronco prerunner and I have a built up Tacoma so space is at a premium and this is what we came up with.

3 Amigos Racing

I don't remember the brand, and I keep it in a golf club travel bag so looking at it won't tell me. There might be a label on it if I set it up. It's a conventional ez-up 4-man dome tent.
I was thinking about trying a canvas style tent like OZTent for base camping. Thinking the canvas could be cooler when the sun comes up and better for some extended stay time... its heavy but were car camping so not concerned.

Chris_Wilson

Before we go to bed we move the EZ Up so it shades the tent in the morning. Keeps the morning temps much nicer.