Baja Trip.

dave

Reaction
Well anyone home from Baja yet and want to give some info on the race and what not ?
I my self had a great time we set up a pit just out side Ojos . Saw lots of actions took only a few pictures, Video taped most of the race . We had a pit set up for Chuck Hovey incase he may have needed us. I guess around mile marker 30 the engine went ? That really sucks for the Hovey team .
I'm sure Trey will have some more info on what happened when he gets back. I did see one of the Herbst preruners drive by us and the truck had been rolled and it looked trashed . The TT of Nick Baldwin stopped to change his front right tire, Jefferies stopped to get a spare tire put on also the TT of the Herbst stopped for another spare. On the radio it sounded like Robby had a flat but got it changed before he got to our section. Scott was looking good in his TT when he came by . But all in all we had a great time. Was going to pit for a friend today @ Barstow but I guess something happened to his motor
so we didn't go :-(.

BlueCoyote

Reaction
Got back about 1am from El Crecero.
Went down to Baja to assist Wide Open Baja.
Was down in Calamuje Canyon wash (about 15 miles past Coco's) in that nasty mud (good thing for lockers in both ends). Hung out with the ORC crew for a while - thanks for the savichi guys. Helped change a flat on the first 8 truck. Pulled Darrin Skillton of a large grass mound. Pulled our BC1 / Team Centrix out of the mud along with a class 5 bug. Lots of the buggies got the motors wet in that wash - helped the Yee's class 5 get up an running.
All the BC cars and Hanawa got past el Crucero with minimal trouble. Hung out with the Yokohama / Trackside guys - had a great time. Also visited with the Mag 7/ Baja Pits, Baldwins and McMillians - all nice people.
Saw a nasty semi wreck south of el Rosario - drivers lived.
The truck only suffered a bent tie rod, smoked alternator belt and busted exhaust. It is covered in rank smelling mud - try to explain that to the Federalies and Border Patrol - but nothing that $10 at the car wash cannot get rid of.
Had a great time overall.

Who are you calling Coyote ugly?
84 Toyota p/u Rokrawlr
86 4rnr
80 Toyota MDR Project

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
With the trailer and all the spare parts, I got to Catavina and then got the call. "Motor blown at rm27". Turned around and drove all the way back, put the car on the trailer and pouted all the way home.

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
Congrats to Martin Christensen on a second place finish in class 10 (by just over a minute), and for winning the points championship for the year.

klaus

Administrator
Reaction
We stayed in Ensenada for contingency and then headed out to San Felipe Thursday morning before the race.

The race was laid out in a way where it would be hard to see the same vehicle more then once during the first 250 miles or so.

Old Puertecitos road is the one and only spot we stayed all day (around RM210). Listening on the Weatherman channel and take pictures of every vehicle passing by until darkness.

Team Campbell was the first bike with a 10 minute lead over the next one.

Robby Gordon was first Car on the course, closely followed by most of the other Trophy Trucks and Class One cars.

Pflueger the first Protruck flying by in a big way.

Baldwin running way behind, from what I heard they had transmission problems ahead of us. Vidosola and the Kia also behind. Seeley never made Chk#5 while we where there.

We had 2 medical emergencies. Rider 102x and Car 108 got air lifted to the San Felipe airport and Weatherman suspended the radio relay service Thursday Evening to fly the injured in his radio plane to San Diego. We wish the hurt best of luck and a speedy recovery.

What did everyone else experience ?

kurt

Reaction
Got to Ensenada Tuesday afternoon after a nice lobster lunch in Puerto Nuevo. Tuesday Evening "Wide Open Baja Adventures" put on a great show and Bar-b-que for all those racing, chasing and pitting. Wendsday caught the first bit of contengency then headed to San Felipe and headed down to set up our pit south of town at the jct. of the old and new Pertocitos roads, race mile 219.
Thursday Cars and Bikes came thru in same order as Klaus mentioned, he was just 9 miles up the road.
Our pit must have been one of the busiest in that area, in addition to taking care of all 7 BC cars and class 3I (Hanawa) which were all scheduled to stop, we had at least 6 or 7 others stop with various problems. At one point we had 5 vehicles in the pit at the same time, everything from fuel, tires, motor and steering problems, but we got everyone fixed and on their way. Huge thanks to all the people in the other pits that came to help out, especially the guys from the TT pit (can't remember who's, didn't have much time to talk) who's truck was long past but hung out in our pits for a couple hours and helped get everybody fixed. Thursday night ended up at Petes camp and home on Fri., had a great time the whole time!!!

Tony_Barraza

Reaction
I was pitted at San Ignacio at the Terrible Herbst Motorsports main pit.
Scheduled work was full service to Herbst vehicles (rear tires, full fuel and drivers change on both cars).
Also scheduled main pit for both Riviera Trucks.

We learned early that Mark Post had lost his motor and was out of the race. Nick Baldwin was still expected to be in for service.
Both Herbst vehicles were in the lead pack all day, and were running very close to each other. That meant the pit stops would be close, if not at the same time.

The Trophy Truck was in first, with Ed handing off to Tim. Just as the tires and fuel were complete, Troy and the Truggy pulled in.
Troy jumped out and made room for "LR' Larry Roeseler to take control of the Truggy.

Next, we were scheduled to assist the Class 1 team of Todd Jergensen and Mike Grabowski. They came in for a driver's change, full fuel and visual on tires. With Grabowski taking his place in the cockpit, lights were adjusted and away he went.

Our last scheduled pit service was on Nick Baldwin's TT. With Mark Post's TT #3 out, Curt LeDuc was available for duty. Getting behind the wheel at RM 319 (taking over from Nick), Curt was headed for our San Ignacio pit. Anxiously awaiting the truck's arrival was driver Tim Carroll and co-rider Beny Metcalf. After taking on new rear tires and a full load of fuel, Tim blasted out of the pit and down the pavement.

Once the pitting was complete, chase crews headed South, and the pit had been broken down, we enjoyed BBQ'd burgers, ribs and sausages with our crew.

We spent the night there at the semi in San Ignacio. While the rest of the crew headed to La Paz in the morning, I turned around and headed for home driving SOLO! I was blessed with a beautiful drive North. While temps ranged from the low 70's to the mid-80's, I drove for hours at a time with the windows down.
Stopping for breaks in Catavina and San Quintin, I made my way into Ensenada, dashed into Carbone's for some tacos to go ( Carne Asada and Queso tacos YUM!) and away I went. After 12 hours and 605 miles, I was safely at home in San Jacinto.

Another great Baja experience!

Congrats to all the winners and finishers!

Tony B.

"Get Creative!"

01_el_tiburon

Bait Fish
Reaction
klaus:

we where at RM 195, so i guess you saw the same race as we did.. one exception though, before any of the trophy truck went by us, we were just parking when we here a bike crash on the whoops right next to us, the guy flew like 20 feet, broke his gauges off , we ran to help this guy, and its this guy on a large blue bike( not sure what bike it was ) carrying side pods... he said he was riding from NY to Argentina, but decided to cut through the race track. he hurt so bad, he ate 4 bean tacos, 6 beers, 6 cokes, 2 bags of potato chips, stayed for the carne asada and ate about 4 more tacos, even smoked some w..d, before driving off through the course again at about 4 p-4.30 p.m. Any chance you saw "eveil Knievel" go by you.....?

we saw craig turner with some oil trouble right next to us, helped homesaga class 7 truck with a tire change, vildosola was 4 hours late, vildosola jr, was in 1st place, dont know what happened to them, Robby went flying by us still in first place...

saludos

el tiburon

"if something can go wrong, it'll probably will"
pinche murphy

scott

Reaction
Hey Tony, sorry to hear about the Herbst Pre-runner rollover from the drunk that T-boned you guys. I hope everything is all well. I pitted out of Insurgentes RM 821(Pit8), then headed down to La Paz. Lets stop all the rumors about Nick Baldwins TT busted in 2 pieces, yada yada, yada... NO thats not true. Tim Carrol and Ben Metcalf hit a huge hole just outside of Pit 9, RM 913 or so and ripped the right front corner off thats all, and the body panels were all missing. So it looked more ugly than it was. Curt Leduc went in with Earl and the rest of the crew and dragged it out to the trailer where it was loaded. Marks truck lost a head gasket just outside of Coco's Corner and never got to Curt.... Its a bummer, that something like that could happen to take you out of the points chase and a possible championship. Leon Patton thinks he had a bad batch of head gaskets, because I think someone else in Class 8 had the same problem Mark did, and it also was a Patton motor.....soooo I don't know. Just one of those Baja Luck things, I guess !!!!
Riviera pit Support

michael_loomis

Reaction
i went down to watch the start and ended up at the first Herbst pit about race mile 111 in between El Alamo and the "goat trail" . Scott led the TT's physically , but was followed immedietly by Smith/Ashley , Collins , Ragland , then Robby. All within a minute of each other ! great racing !! then was a slew of one cars , seemingly having a tuff time in the dust. i stayed till the last of the 10's went through and decided to leave . i paced myself back out to the highway , behind one of the Herbst prerunners. suddenly i saw a very large dustcloud in front of me as i exited a turn . the Herbst truck clipped a ranchers truck in a turn , hit a berm and rolled into a clearing next to the road. i got out and ran over to make sure everyone was ok . "were good except for some cuts and bruises" was the reply , so i helped them upright the truck and examine the damage. it looked a lot worse than it was . one blown tire , 4 destroyed fenders and a wrinkled cab seemed to be all. maybe its time to start switching them over to ford bodies now. i'm not sure what they ended up doing for the rancher , but i was glad everyone was ok.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Dude, you gotta stop pressing the Herbst prerunners so hard in the little Chevy w/ LT! Leave those poor trucks alone as they have had enough of your nerfing!

See ya in the dirt!

Junior

Reaction
Since the EJR Racing Trophy Truck sap this one out, Junior and family did the race spectator style. It was nice enjoying the desert and racing without having to worry about pit chase duties for once. We camped with the Poolman at Pete's Camp the entire weekend, returning home late last night.

I set the family up at Morelia junction just as the cars turned toward Zoo road. Excelent spot in the middle of no where with enough elevation to view them for about a mile in each direction. The family had a great time (wife, 7 yr old Jake and 8 mos old Wyatt). As usual the Honda 650R 1x was the first through. I tried to remember the last race in which this bike was not the first through but I could not remember. What was up with those Rancher type quads with the luggage racks? Robby was the first TT through with at least 10 minutes over the next one by which was Ragland in Arnold. Then came the Optima of Ashley/Smith, Herbst etc.

The weather was fabulous. The family spectated out of the back of a pickup in the middle of no where for about 11 hours. I still have a smile on my face!

Special thanks to the Poolman and Family!

Viva La Baja!

Junior
EJR Racing Trophy Truck #44
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ejrracing.com>http://www.ejrracing.com</A>

Ahles

Reaction
I set up a pit at Coco's Corner (303mi) next to the Herbsts for 803 & 557. Congratulations on both for finishing.

The real story was Robby Gordon. He did not have any pit support at Coco's and was leading the other TT's by about 10 minutes. He pulls into the Herbsts pit and gets out and said "I need some gas". The Herbsts just stand there so Robby grabs the dry brake fuel filler and tried to get some gas but it's not compatible with his truck. He then pops the spare tire carrier and grabs a tire without saying anything. Then someone from the Riviera Team comes over with a 10 gal. dump of fuel. Robby hops back in and takes off and then someone said smell the rear axel fluid, he's loosing the rear seal or bearings. About three minutes after Robby leaves the Herbsts TT arrives for a basic pit stop.

Took video of both pits stops and will be on the Rice & Beans tape which should come out for sale in about two weeks.

Friday drove back to San Felipe from Coco's Corner. The road is in good condition except about 15 miles north and south of Puertecitos.

Dave
Makena Motorsports

BradM

Reaction
I was down at the BFG pit #2 at RM239 just south of Puertocitos. There was a lot of action all day with as many as 6 cars at once. We dumped a ton of fuel, changed a lot of tires, and a little fab work to help keep some of the cars in the hunt. The funniest thing I saw all day was two canadians that pulled into our pit as we were putting everything away at about 11pm. They were driving a white toyota land cruiser pickup and needed diesel. They said they drove it down from canada and were going to drive it home after the race. They had no provisions for fuel or pit stops and fully expected to get what they needed in each town. They weren't even wearing fire suits but rather dickies coveralls. I don't know if they made it to la paz but those boys had some sack.

It was a long day that got longer following the semi up the old puertocitos road to san felipe. We got to s/f at about 3:30am on friday and headed for Barstow by 8am. The MDR race was fun but none of the cars we were there for finished. Tom Koch 109 was leading all day until he broke the trailing arm. Frank 150 never even started the race due to transmission problems. Carolyn 1477 broke an axle on her second lap, and Mike 570 suffered a few problems and didn't have time to get his last lap in.

shrek

Reaction
Dave,

Just so you know, I was part of the Herbst's pit at Coco's and when Robby pulled in we all were asking him what he needed and he said nothing, then he just got out of the truck and grabbed our dry brake and started fueling himself. We were all trying to get the fuel tower to work but then we realized that his truck was not compatable. Then he went over to a 1 car team that was pitting behind us and bummed a dump can off of them and we dumped it for him. Then he grabbed a tire and we told him to get back in the truck and we finished putting one of the Herbst tires on the truck. That whole day we were more than happy to help anyone in need, even fuel and a tire for a competitor that was beating us. That is what I love about off-road racing.

Matt

Racing isn't everything.............it's the only thing!!!

Dave_G

Reaction
Tony,
What was the deal with Robby G. trying to get fuel from the Herbst pit? Heard rumors that his chase crew didn't make it to fuel him and he pulled into Herbst pit and tried to pump himself some gas. What was up with that?

Best,
Dave

"I know it all, but I can't remember most of it..."

DMSRACE

Reaction
Matt's right on this one....I was there with him...Robby pulled into to our pit and we ran up to him asking what he needed...He and Greg Till who was riding said nothing...and the rest is history.....COCO's corner was a joke, as COCO kicked us out of our spot so we could pit the 3 TT's and the Truggy in front of his house....We also fueled and fed Sourapas and his co-driver, getting them to the finish I might add...as well as giving 25 gallons of c-12 to COCO and more gas to a mexican 5-1600. I want to say thanks to Matt Svatos, Skyler Gambrell and Chad Fryman for staying awake on the drive to and from and getting me home safely. Also, pitting the Herbst was one of the greatest things I have ever done...They do it with cla$$...

Kevin

Racer

To live life half throttle would be a waste....

Dave_G

Reaction
Damn..... like a dummy I didn't back up and read the posts from earlier this morning explaining it all. That's what happens when your half brain dead from programming all day.

Dave

"I know it all, but I can't remember most of it..."

scott

Reaction
FACEMAN 11 is right about the story.... My buddy Chris Supino was at the Pit at Coco's corner, and pulled in and asked for 5 gallons of gas, and the Herbst crew told him they'd throw a tire on for him... The fuel he got was from the Class 1 team that Riviera dudes dump, one of them was my buddy thats on the team...Herbst/Riviera team offered to refill but they said it was cool and they didn't have to stop...
The question is who's the Slimy Gringos that stripped car 108 after its roll over.....Talk about that !!!!!