• Forum membership has its advantages....

Balancing/mounting?

Dezertpilot

I am about to pick up a set of forged beadlock rims tommorrow and I know that you can self mount the tires onto the rims with the bead lock ring off. Is this as easy as it sounds and what about balancing? Can I get the tires on the rims then take it over to my local Americas's Discount Tires and have them balanced? I do know they are not DOT approved but this deal is a steal so I am going to jump on it. What am also trying to say is can I then put the tires on my vehicle and drive a few miles with out them balanced or will I screw up something? Any feedback on this would be a great help. Thanx.

Bohr7

Rockcrawler.com usually has some really good DIY articles on stuff, including installing your own beadlocks.

singlehanded

Most offroad tires and rims dont need to be balanced because the tires are being reshaped as you prerun. But if your not doing a lot of offraoding it might be a good idea.

sickrick

If you go to a tire shop they can sell you stuff that they put inside the tire to balance it, it looks like little chunks of rubber. I don't balance my tires and they seem to work fine.

Dezertpilot

Well I at least have to take the rims down to a shop to have the tires taken off the old rims then I can spend the hours hand mounting them. Id like to have them balanced as this is going on a DD that sees the desert about once a month.

Dezertpilot

YES! Just got back from picking up a set of (4) Ultra 3 piece forged beadlocks from a local JeepSpeed racer for $340! A smokin deal at that. No dents just bolts are corroded now I just need to clean and polish the rims and I will be having someone anodize the beadlock rings black. I am in Corona I need someone to anodize and polish the rims for me. I would like to have it local but will drive to O.C. for a respected place or to someone who races offroad or supports/sponsors drivers. What am I lookin at price wise for clean/ploish and anodize of the (4) rings and rims? Can't wait to get these mounted they will make my 4runner that much nicer.:D

Scott_F

You can use balancing beads instead of lead weights. Do a search on Pirate4x4.com to read all about it.

ThingDriver

Mag Masters in Santa Ana would do a good job on the polishing part. You might ask them about the ano as well...

Dezertpilot

I have decided to chrome the rims and get the rings hard anodized black. I noticed that some of the new Earl's AN fittings are now hard anodized balck. Dont know to much about hard anodizing but it sounds like it would hold up to the dez better than reg. anodizing. Does anybody actually know the difference between the two? Oh and I have heard mixed opinions on what grade bolts to have the beadlocks. My buddy said to run grade 5's as they are not as brittle and won't snap when a rock hits it it will just deform. The current bolts that hold the rims and the bead lock are grade 8's. I am gonna stick with grade 8's on the actuall rim but wa wondering if I should run grade 5's on the beadlock part?

Dezertpilot

Anybody?

baja619

Try your local highschool auto shop for mounting and balancing.

Bring Dohnuts!

GMCrunner

I work at Discount/Americas TIre Co. and they will be more than happy to balance your tires for cheap too. They can also mount the tires on the rim but they are not allowed to put the top bead ring on becouse of liability. Because i work there they let me do that though. I mounted mine at my house and it took like thirty minutes a wheel just because you have the go around and torque the bead ring so many times to make sure all the bolts are putting equal pressure on the bead of the tire. Just use alot of soap and water and Discount Tire will balace them and even help you mount them up if your having trouble.

I mounted 4 37x12.5 bfg baja ta tires on walker evans wheels at my house in about 40 min it is real easy I used some dish soap and a dead blow hamer the tires just slipped the beadlock side with the ring removed and used a screw driver to get the other bead to sit properly on the beadlock ring. The longest part to the whole process was installing the beadlock ring and torqueing the bolts. I don't think it is possiable to balance the baja ta do to the fact the tires where designed for offroad racing and are not as concerned about balancig due to the abuse they are put through. Most likley you will have about ten pounds of weight on the rim that will fall off the first set of woops you go through at 60 mph.

Dezertpilot

What about the bolts holding the ring onto the rim? Should I go grade 5's or 8's?

amrein1743

JESSE_at_TLT said:
All the beadlocks I've ever seen have used grade 8 hardware.
I have mounted a few tires on beadlocks. The tires I have mounted have gone on wheels with OMF beadlocks which include the hardware and they always come with grade 8.

Dezertpilot

I only mentioned the grade 5's because a friend said that the grade 8's were brittle(or more) and that if a rock hit one of the bolt heads that I could break one off leaving the rest of the bolt in the rim. The Ultra's came with grade 8's so I guess Ill just stick with them. I would definitly stick with at least the grade 8's that hold the two rim halves together but was wondering on the bolts that hold the ring onto the rim.

sirhk100

Hey, I had a beadlock thread on here a while ago and can't find it... People talked about using like a glue or something on the beadlocks themself to help seal them. Anyone have any recomendations? I've got tires at home and am going to try to start swapping out the old rubber for the new tonight...

GMCrunner

If i were you id run into discount tire there in Prescott and ask for Bill Simpson, hes the manager there and my good friend, and tell him you are mounting up some bead locks and that would like to know if you could buy some bead sealer off of him. We use it all the time to seal up subborn beads ad Discount. If you cant get any from him and you wanna take a trip up to Flag i can give you a can of bead sealer for ya. I work at the Discount Tire on Milton right off the I17