• Forum membership has its advantages....

Baldwin TT

Mike_McCluskey

Does anybody know whats happening with the Baldwins TT that did the stump removal in S.F.? Are they going to rebuild or start over? Just curious.

billymanfroy

Well, I was VERY surprised to see it at the tt250 after seeing those pics in SF. I don't know them or the truck that well, but it looked like the same one and they had it all rebuilt. They were late and missed the deadline for entering the tech line, so they pulled it off a flat trailer and pulled it right in front of Steve Lucena (7204) who was waiting in line in front of me. If they hadn't gotten it in, I really wonder if Casey wouldn't have let him run? We had already been in line for about 2 hours, and everyone behind us who saw it was REALLY pissed off. Especially the guys with trophy trucks. One of the Riviera guys was yelling at Steve and backed off quite a bit when everyone told him it was Baldwin - not Steve - who cut in. Baldwin's guys (could've been his crew or him, I don't know what he looks like) just shrugged it off and ignored everyone who told them to get in the back of the line. I'm pretty sure they ended up winning.

Klaus

Administrator
Team Baldwin has 3 similar TT's.
The San Felipe TT was still under repair while another truck raced the TT250.

Its nice to have a spare truck.

JoeB

Klaus, do they have 3 desert trucks? Or does that figure include their short-course truck that they purchased from Scott Douglas and Jason races in CORR? Four unlimited style trucks would just be impressive. (As if 3 isn't)

Joe

John Bitting

Administrator
Yes they have 3 TT's (at one time, dont know now) plus the Jason/Joshs(?) short course truck plus Renezders short course truck.

Klaus

Administrator
3 desert trucks.
They used to run all 3 of them in the good old days...
During the Baja2000 they entered one truck, but it broke beyond repair (engine ?) and they then continued with the spare truck just for the fun of it. At one point people thought they where cheating cause the starting and ending truck where two different ones....but they right away claimed a DNF and continued simply to give all of the scheduled drivers a chance to drive.

The 3 desert trucks all look alike but are slightly different in design.
I am not sure what they are doing in CORR.

I know that Carl's operations is totally independent of the rest of the Baldwin race programs.

JoeB

Wow, that's crazy $$$. All I really know about Jason in CORR is that he started last year racing in Pro4. He wasn't very impressive at all. I found one picture, but it doesn't show the truck very well. It's the only one I could find of him. It's the red/black one. Not the one in the foreground. Never posted before, so here it goes.....

Attachments

martininsocal

i think they sold one of the trucks during the last economic down turn. they had 4 buggies(3 class 1's and a 1600) before they went into the 3 trophy trucks. money got tight and they stopped racing(except for occasional events) it os good to see them back at it.

If your gonna go, go BIG

scott

Back in the day Baldwin ran 3 Trophy Trucks, with father Jim, Jason, and Bro-in Law, Carl Renezender. I think they only have 2 now. The one that rolled in the crowd at the Baja 500 was
destroyed from the roll and cutting the whole top of the truck off to get Jason and the co-driver out...

Jerry Zaiden

3 TT's
Renezeter has his own program with Lucas Oil.
Jason Has his own Core truck.
The 1600 car is now a prerunner with old class 1 parts on it.
The class one Jimco needs a prep and then it is ready to race.

As for the Truck Jason rolled. It is in 10000 parts but will be fixed some day.
The truck that got involved with stump removal will be running some day as well.

The Baldwins will be out racing for years to come. Stay tunned.

mgobaja

I know that the Baldwin company is big into tract housing in So. Cal and has just filed bankruptcy again on their Otay Ranch project in San Diego area. it amazes me at how they can continue racing when they keep filing. I think this is their third time on this project ?

scott

I wasn't too sure about the truck that rolled at the 500 a couple years ago. I know it was pretty destroyed. If there's anybody that would know whats going on in the Baldwin camp it would be you... Thanks for the update........

Jerry Zaiden

Mike, thanks for the link. I dig those videos! That is Jim Baldwin, I think he is in his 60's and still on the gas.