BALL JOINT HELP

Racing5150Guy

Reaction
ok well i did a search and i am still searching. i know that henerys ball joints are really good. they get a massive angle in them. but i have heard somethnig about like a dodge or a dodge one ton van or something has a massive ball joint that you can fine tune and it will work almost as effectively. can anyone help.

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
Chrylser makes a screw in a cup style ball joint that are used in the Larrys jeeps, never broken them and two cars have rolled, one going up comp came down on the drivers wheel, still good. They are off of one of the chrys cars, forgot which one.

"There are a lot of people hoping I fail. But I like that. I need to be hated."

hoeker

Reaction
that looks like a coan joint, is john making them now??

"to be successful, you must first learn to disagree without being disagreeable."

CRAIG_HALL

Reaction
The dodge joints I know of are very large 3/4 & 1 ton trucks usualy diesals. they do screw in ,but the threads are sort of rounded off not very sharp . My girlfriends 91 diesal 3/4 ton had one work loose (original joint 220,00 mi.) loose but doesn't rattle, it messed up the a-arm so I had to tack a new one in place . Many mechanics told me this was pretty common.The threaded portion is about 1-3/4" o.d. with about a 5/8" thread on the stud,not sure exact size just close. About 50-70 dollars each depending on where you get them.

hoeker

Reaction
if any of you guys are looking for henries joints PM me. i ve got 2 used henries and one new cone that i'd love to see get used again. the henries are rebuilt and will be cheap. compared to $385, so will the cone.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

"to be successful, you must first learn to disagree without being disagreeable."

NorCal_Prerunner

Reaction
On a side note:

What is the best way to remove old balljoints and tierod ends from spindles. Specifically, I have an extra toyota IFS front end that I am taking apart that is about 13 years old, probably the factory balljoints and tierod ends. I am having a hell of a time trying to remove them from the spindle. Any tricks, what is the propper method? I'm thinking I am going to have to take the spindles to a shop and have them pressed out.

Also, what about new balljoint installation? Any tricks, what is the propper method? I'm thinking I am going to have to take the spindles to a shop and have the new ones pressed in as well. Drop the hammer?

It's never too late to be what you might have been....

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Tie rods come out with a fork and small sledge. Ball joint are probably pressed out. Most autopart stores will rent the stuff to you.

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late"

curt

Reaction
Toyota ball joints are just a tapered fit, use a pickle fork and a sledge to put tension on them then slam the spindle where the joint goes through and they will pop off. Where are you located at? I have a 5 ton press in Santa Clara and know of one in Brentwood also. Curt

VORRA Class 7

Jkrell

Reaction
two easy ways to get ball joints and tie rods out....the pickel fork way...but that usually tears up the rubber boot....or...beat on the spindle with a really big hammer while applying pressure on the balljoint or tie rod...this is how 99% of mechanics remove them everytime.

if you get a really tough one....apply heat to the spindle around the joint and get a bigger hammer.

Jon

NorCal_Prerunner

Reaction
Curt,
I am in Campbell.

The pickle fork is not working for me. I have beat the crap out of it and the spindle an no luck, so it looks like the press is the ticket.

NorCal_Prerunner

Reaction
Alright, I don't want to be lazy, so I will try the fork and sledge again, with some heat on the spindle this time. If no go, off to a press. The crappy thing about using the fork, like JKrell said, is that it is easy to tear the boot. I want to use these as spares.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
You can buy new boots for around 5 bucks.

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late"

1992f150

Reaction
ball joints hit spindle with a hammer but it doesnt always work/or takes forever.
Tie rod ends, try backing the nut off aways and hitting the nut with a hammer.

Azusa: shame of the foothills

Dave_G

Reaction
Re: "the henries are rebuilt and will be cheap."

Rebuilt? How do you do that to a ball joint?

Dave

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

hoeker

Reaction
because a henries are a 2 piece joint you can remachine them to snug them up as they wear. they almost never break, but do wear.