BALL SPLINE AXLES

ntsqd

The splines themselves don't appear to be out of ordinary. Thot "Ball" meant the shape of the spline OD ?

Be interesting to see what their lifespan is. Those changes in cross section have got to shorten it up.

KitRacer

what kind of travel r u gettin??? did you gain travel with them???
whats all the details on these guys???
are these the same as John Markings????

FABRICATOR

Think of several precision-ground longitudinal half-round grooves in both the inner and outer (or male and female) axle parts. Line these inner and outer grooves up to create a series of round holes. Fill each hole part way up with a bunch of bearing balls. Axle plunge causes the balls to roll in the grooves even while transmitting tremendous torque. This setup is very strong and durable. If you size them right, keep the dirt and water out and the lubrication in, the lifespan can be nearly unlimited. These have been around for industrial use for many decades and in limited automotive use since at least the sixties. A very close cousin to these can be found in most common worm-and-sector steering boxes (Saginaw, etc.) and ball screws in milling machines.

ntsqd

Yah, once it was explained that the balls were in the 'slip-yoke' I understood how it worked. Very much like a ball-type linear bearing except for no recirculation.

My comment about durability stems from the massive and seemingly awkwardly executed section changes in the shaft.

Someone in the Import Drag Racing spectrum has come up with a Ball shaped spline for use as a CV joint as they appearently keep blowing up CV's. Which is what piqued my interest when I saw this thread.

BA_DirtDriver

I think that they do recirculate. Or they could / should . How much plunge is required? What is the torque rating? I hope this works.

Mike_HKmtrsprts

oh Ian's in trouble showing off John's top secret axels!!! LOL I talked with John today they arent ball type axels they are some crazy triagulated brass bushing type???, he tore them up 100 mi now they are changing some stuff inside and should be good to go for Henderson but the car acually get 26" of travel not 28" but hope fully the new design wont bind the cv up under load and the intenals of the axels will hold together!....Mike

KitRacer

has he been able to fix the problem with the car tryin to squat from all the horsepower?

GEARS

NOW THAT THE AXLES ARE CLOSER TO BEING,THE BACK HAS BEEN REDONE TO SIT HIGHER AND RIDE BETTER
THAN BEFORE.HORSEPOWER SITS IN THE HIGH 300 NOT THAT BIG OF A #.BUT POWER ISN'T
BEING ROBBED BY A CONVERTER.NOW LET SEE IF THE TIRES LIVE AT HENDERSON.

Attachments