Banditos between Ojos and Valle T

Baja Bryan

RDC Crypto
If anyone here thinks they're safe down in Mexico you've got your head in the sand. Much of the country is still overrun by narcos and other shady elements, and a good portion of the gov/LE is still on their payroll. Best you can do is try to be smart, don't travel alone, at night, through areas known to have recent reports of issues and hope you don't find yourself as one of the unlucky ones in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Wrong. I have lived in Mexico 15+ years. Narcos are not part of theft and carjacking's, they just want those US dollars Americans pay for drugs. Cartel on Cartel is very bad deal just like the bloods and crips in usa or rival biker gangs. That area is for sure a road to avoid at night since its Indian land that local police cant do to much. I really feel if there was cell towers all threw there would make things safer vs the black hole for 100 miles.

fishd00d

What A Joke
RDC Crypto
Website
www.fishgistics.com
Fish, what is the status on the theft? Did they have Mexican insurance and who was that through? One would think that the insurance company would be working with the truck manufacturer to get the GPS location and recover that truck.

More info is needed or this is going down as a fish story. Just saying if I was Bajabound insurance and had to pay out I would be working with law enforcement and the manufacturer to find that vehicle.
They have a LOT of information, enough to act on if they wanted to. The problem is people are connected to others who might cause a problem it seems. Kinda how Mexico is......at this point I believe its a loss. The truck is driving around with someone high up driving it......the canam is being driven around on joyrides. It really sucks and I hope their insurance pays them out, although it wont cover all the stuff in the cars......

Baja Bryan

RDC Crypto
They have a LOT of information, enough to act on if they wanted to. The problem is people are connected to others who might cause a problem it seems. Kinda how Mexico is......at this point I believe its a loss. The truck is driving around with someone high up driving it......the canam is being driven around on joyrides. It really sucks and I hope their insurance pays them out, although it wont cover all the stuff in the cars......
Yikes thats scary. They will only get worse if not stopped. I will for sure be careful in that area from now on. Bummer police backed down.

JerryB

RDC Crypto
Wrong. I have lived in Mexico 15+ years. Narcos are not part of theft and carjacking's, they just want those US dollars Americans pay for drugs. Cartel on Cartel is very bad deal just like the bloods and crips in usa or rival biker gangs. That area is for sure a road to avoid at night since its Indian land that local police cant do to much. I really feel if there was cell towers all threw there would make things safer vs the black hole for 100 miles.
If you read my post it said narcos "and other shady elements". There are a number of anti gov groups, robbery crews, kidnap for ransom, car theft rings, etc.. (and if you think "most" of these groups are not directly or indirectly related/connected to cartels, you're wrong) many of which have ties to street gangs and OMG's here in the states. If you live down there then you do have a lot more first hand knowledge of daily life and where to go, where not to go, and when than I do. However with that said, I do have a lot of first hand knowledge of the "various" criminal elements of Mexico and it's connections to the states, it's part of my job to know. And yes, there are many areas here in the states I will not take my family to, not worth the risk, but just because we all head down and enjoy the racing in baja, and MOST have done so for years without ever having an issue, just don't be fooled into a false sense of security. There are a lot of bad things still going on south of the border. Never said don't go, said do it safely.

Honda48X

RDC Crypto
If you read my post it said narcos "and other shady elements". There are a number of anti gov groups, robbery crews, kidnap for ransom, car theft rings, etc.. (and if you think "most" of these groups are not directly or indirectly related/connected to cartels, you're wrong) many of which have ties to street gangs and OMG's here in the states. If you live down there then you do have a lot more first hand knowledge of daily life and where to go, where not to go, and when than I do. However with that said, I do have a lot of first hand knowledge of the "various" criminal elements of Mexico and it's connections to the states, it's part of my job to know. And yes, there are many areas here in the states I will not take my family to, not worth the risk, but just because we all head down and enjoy the racing in baja, and MOST have done so for years without ever having an issue, just don't be fooled into a false sense of security. There are a lot of bad things still going on south of the border. Never said don't go, said do it safely.
Agree with what you are saying. My wife and I live in San Felipe. Primary residence with a small place in Washington for those hot summer months. We do have some issues but not as bad as many areas in the states. I think Several areas in the states are just as bad as some ares in main land Mexico. I truly think Baja is like your typical decent areas in the states other then say TJ, Cabo, and Ensenada. More people more crime. Just the way it is. What is that saying: if you want to find trouble you can find trouble.

JerryB

RDC Crypto
Agree with what you are saying. My wife and I live in San Felipe. Primary residence with a small place in Washington for those hot summer months. We do have some issues but not as bad as many areas in the states. I think Several areas in the states are just as bad as some ares in main land Mexico. I truly think Baja is like your typical decent areas in the states other then say TJ, Cabo, and Ensenada. More people more crime. Just the way it is. What is that saying: if you want to find trouble you can find trouble.
Man I envy you, I'll be retiring in a couple years, been eyeing that place for sale (in the classifieds) at El Dorado, was thinking it would be a great second home to spend part of the year, but we're also planning on a move to Texas, so not exactly an easy commute back and forth whenever we feel like running down there for a few weeks. I've been going to Baja since I was a kid in the 70's, never personally had a problem (and trust me, I did my best a few times to find trouble ;) ) but know of many who have. Some incidents were earned, others were random victims. Scariest part is not the fact you may fall prey to a crime, that can happen anywhere anytime, the scary part down there, is when you go looking for help.

Sheepdog

RDC Crypto
Man I envy you, I'll be retiring in a couple years, been eyeing that place for sale (in the classifieds) at El Dorado, was thinking it would be a great second home to spend part of the year, but we're also planning on a move to Texas, so not exactly an easy commute back and forth whenever we feel like running down there for a few weeks. I've been going to Baja since I was a kid in the 70's, never personally had a problem (and trust me, I did my best a few times to find trouble ;) ) but know of many who have. Some incidents were earned, others were random victims. Scariest part is not the fact you may fall prey to a crime, that can happen anywhere anytime, the scary part down there, is when you go looking for help.
We bought a place in Texas when I retired from law enforcement, and it rocks. Speed limits as high as 85 mph, Constitutional Carry for my wife (I carry under LEOSA), Tex-Mex food, Texas barbecue, our retirement dollars go much much further here, and the people are SO nice.

Sheepdog

RDC Crypto
Besides "OH MY GOD" what is the acronym in your post supposed to mean?
Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs. It's a law-enforcement term for the most criminal element of those guys that dress up in Village People costumes and wobble from bar to bar on impotent 900-pound whoopee cushions. They tend to listen to a lot of Cher, Barbara Streisand, Bette Midler, Boy George, George Michael/Wham, Elton John, and so on.

Last edited:

JerryB

RDC Crypto
OMG = Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs, hell's angles, vagos, etc.... There was a case a few years back, involved the hooligans if I remember correctly, stole couple hundred Jeeps, new ones with the chipped/programmed keys. Without going into details let's just say they had access to the codes from Chrysler, via Mexico dealers/manufacturing plants, to make their own keys and just drive them away from your house, work, wherever it was parked. They all ended up south of the border. I wasn't involved in the case but have spoken to some who were. Was a pretty big story at the time

Sheepdog

RDC Crypto
OMG = Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs, hell's angles, vagos, etc.... There was a case a few years back, involved the hooligans if I remember correctly, stole couple hundred Jeeps, new ones with the chipped/programmed keys. Without going into details let's just say they had access to the codes from Chrysler, via Mexico dealers/manufacturing plants, to make their own keys and just drive them away from your house, work, wherever it was parked. They all ended up south of the border. I wasn't involved in the case but have spoken to some who were. Was a pretty big story at the time
Are you on The Job?