Barbara Boxer Alert

billymanfroy

Reaction
I'm on her email list, and I don't know the details on this bill, but I just got this today:

I thought you would be interested in the following update.

Sincerely,
Barbara Boxer
United States Senator

===================================================

Support for Wilderness Bill Continues to Grow

In May, I introduced the California Wild Heritage Act of 2002 (S. 2535) to protect approximately 2.5 million acres of public lands in 81 different areas across the state, as well as the free-flowing portions of 22 rivers and streams. I am pleased to report that support for the bill continues to grow each day. Just last week, the California State Assembly passed Senate Joint Resolution 52 in support of the bill. Joint Resolution 52 was passed by the State Senate on August 19.

I am very pleased that the California Legislature has formally supported my efforts to protect California's precious heritage. I deeply appreciate the strong efforts of Senator Sheila Kuehl who authored and worked for the passage of the resolution and thank Assemblymember Joe Nation for his efforts in the State Assembly.

The California Legislature's endorsement of the California Wild Heritage Act follows support from Lt. Governor Cruz Bustamante, Attorney General Bill Lockyer, Treasurer Phil Angelides and dozens of local elected officials across the state. It has also received the strong support of many national and California environmental organizations

Superfund Program

The federal Superfund program is intended to clean up hazardous waste sites in America. While the cleanup pace was steady for many years, there are substantial signs that it has languished in the past year. In California alone, a total of 104 sites are listed on the Environmental Protection Agency's website for Superfund sites. Sadly, only five have been deleted from the list.

My colleague, Senator James Jeffords, (I-VT) and I have written to the Environmental Protection Agency asking for more information about progress on the program. Our letter, in part, expressed our deep concern "over the slow down in the pace of clean-up and the inability of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to make progress at sites that are ready for further action. We are also concerned that clean-up delays may create new threats to public health and drive up the cost of clean-up."

Superfund is a vital program for communities and is important to both public health and economic strength. It must not be allowed to fail. I will continue to push for faster action and for a secure source of revenue to assure continued progress in cleaning up Superfund sites.

Stay in Touch

If you have questions about these or any other federal matter, please do not hesitate to contact me.

===================================================

For more information, please go to: http://boxer.senate.gov

If this message reached you in error, or if you would like to cancel your subscription, please reply to this message with unsubscribe in the subject line.

If you would like to make a comment regarding this or any other federal matter, please feel free to fill out my web form at http://boxer.senate.gov/contact/webform.html

Paige

Reaction
I just got this too but forwarded to me - along with a list of phone numbers - just in case you want to voice your opinion =-)

Her district offices are:
San Francisco, 415 403 0100
Los Angeles 213 894 5000
San Diego 619 239 3884
Fresno 559 497 5109
San Bernardino 909 888 8525
Sacramento 916 448 2787

Washington DC address:
The Honorable Barbara Boxer
United States Senate
Washington, DC 20510

<font color=yellow>Paige<font color=yellow>

martininsocal

Reaction
This is Bull$hit! Her office has been inventing groups to support her push for this bill to pass. She claims widespread support from Californians, but all she can get are members of environmental groups like CBD, Sierra Club, Wilderness Coalition, etc... to support her. Most counties have come out against the bill and she has resorted to inventing clubs to support her. The Mountain bikers have been traditional supporters of more wilderness, but they don't support this bill, so she had a new Mtn Bike club made with help from her office that was started by a major member of the Sierra Club and most members are not even mountain bikers, but kayakers who want this bill pushed to prevent more dams on rivers. These folks will stop at nothing to tell YOU how to live your lives. Ofcourse the legislature in California supports this bill, they are ruled by a majority of eco-money receiving whores who will vote for whoever pays the highest price, just ask Davis!

If your gonna go, go BIG

Catawampus

Reaction
I read the bill and I still do not understand the reasoning behind it. Could it be for the State to have complete control of water rights? – I am not sure. . . I would have to agree that it probably is the result from big money lobbyist, which believe in protection for protections sake. When I read these types of bills, I always wonder if the members of the eco-groups can’t see that by supporting these types of measures they are only “shooting themselves in the foot”. Preserving such vast amounts of land limits access not only to the majority of their own eco-members, whom I would imagine – sit in front of televisions, watch the Nature Channel and mail in their annual checks, but they limit access to all Americans. If and when they do get outside to enjoy our natural resources, they find them noisy, overcrowded, polluted, mismanaged, under funded, and are unable to find a peaceful spot to relax and enjoy.

For some reason cattle comes to mind . . . round us up and drive us to our pastures.

Paige

Reaction
I think that this bill is helping to push forward the agenda of the Wildlands Project and more over UN Agenda 21. I also heard that though Feinstein is claiming neutrailty in this thing - she is either a great proponent or the actual author of the bill.

<font color=yellow>Paige<font color=yellow>

martininsocal

Reaction
paige- yes, Feinstein has been linked, as my return letter from her proved. She trumpets her great record on creating more wilderness in California as well as locking up 1.7 million acres of desert up in the cadaver memorial bill.

kim- did you happen to read anything about the infringement zones? anywhere from 1/4 to 2 miles from the edge of the wilderness will also have to be protected so as to keep us eveil multi-use proponents out! they didn't cover that part, did they? You ask why? It is simply a way to legislate and mandate your ability to recreate to match theirs. They don't want snow mobiles, they don't want water craft, they don't want cows, and they don't want motorized cars/truck/cycles in nature, period. This is the ultimate weapon against those uses, that is why.

martin

If your gonna go, go BIG