• Forum membership has its advantages....

Barn Find - Early Class 5

Bro_Gill

Hi Dave, Jerry Kerr here. Garo had his VW shop "Camel Works" in Saugus off of Golden Triangle Road in the 1976- ? time frame. I had my fabrication shop in Aqua Dulce and did a lot of fab work for Garo as well as a couple of other shops in Newhall. Back then I did alot of pan shortening for glass cars as well as roll cages for class 11, 5-1600 and class 5's. I was racing with Lewis Off Road Enterprises out of Acton. The team ran a Class 4 Bronco, Class 8 Ford Pickup, and a Class 9 HiJumper which was my primary involvement. View attachment 194394 View attachment 194394 View attachment 194395
This looks like a Sandwinder, not a Hijumper. Maybe young Roundtree can confirm?

This looks like a Sandwinder, not a Hijumper. Maybe young Roundtree can confirm?
Yes, you are correct. That is what happens when you are 74 - things get scrambled. It is a mid-engine Sandwinder that has a (here comes the HiJumper connection) Fritz Kroyer built engine at the time he was working at San Fernando buggy center. Just confirmed all of this with Uncle Bob Lewis who owned the car at the time.

harleys dad

Hi Dave, Jerry Kerr here. Garo had his VW shop "Camel Works" in Saugus off of Golden Triangle Road in the 1976- ? time frame. I had my fabrication shop in Aqua Dulce and did a lot of fab work for Garo as well as a couple of other shops in Newhall. Back then I did alot of pan shortening for glass cars as well as roll cages for class 11, 5-1600 and class 5's. I was racing with Lewis Off Road Enterprises out of Acton. The team ran a Class 4 Bronco, Class 8 Ford Pickup, and a Class 9 HiJumper which was my primary involvement. View attachment 194394 View attachment 194394 View attachment 194395
How are you Jerry? As I remember there were many class 11 and 51600 cars from your area. I often wonder where they all went as there were a LOT in the 70s

How are you Jerry? As I remember there were many class 11 and 51600 cars from your area. I often wonder where they all went as there were a LOT in the 70s
Hi Dave, Doing good. Retired up here in Vegas. Yes there were several in the area. A few that made it thru my part time shop. A class 11 that was raced by Steve Staats - mostly in Baja races. And a couple 51600's that Camel Works race prepped. Nice to see you are still involved.

After all my previous post about Uncle Bob Lewis and the buggy that I raced while with his team, I had to get to the bottom of why I thought I was in a HiJumper. So my son Joshua sent me a link to a picture of our race team at a Barstow race. It is attached and show the Truck, Bouncing Bronco, and a HiJumper. The HiJumper belonged to team member Wayne Wallace but for a few races, he ran with team LORE colors. At this Barstow race, I was his co-driver and ran the second lap of the race. The Sidewinder came a few months after when Bob purchased the car and prepped it out of his shop.
So I know that cleared up my 44 year memory - I hope it makes the story more clear for you too! I'm third from the right behind the Wayne sitting on the rear tire.
fire1.jpg