• Forum membership has its advantages....

Barn Finds, wherabouts, or i think i knows

HDRA1

The Godfather
Well do you know of or have a vintage car ,you are sitting on wanting to restore? Or can tell where some are?
A place where we might find one we are looking for

Here is the list I own
Danny Porter single seat 1600 car
Walt Lott burro
Circus Circus 5/1600 car

Hope to see many pages on this thread

HDRA1

The Godfather
I know of a few cars sitting also

Warren Stevens the first tandem car (las Vegas)

Another tandem car in (pahrump) unknown history

Mel Larson's circus Circus Nissan cup truck (las Vegas)

Rory

Crayola Killer
Great thread Lucas. The Vintage section is starting to stir up some interest so this would be a good place to come to if one were looking for a vehicle. Speaking of Tandem cars, I'm pretty sure there is one in the Tucson area, not sure where. Also, I think the red tandem racer that won a couple races including the Baja 500 in the early 80's is still up for sale. Post up what you know of, it would be nice to see some of these old cars get a new lease on life.

Sites

Anyone know when ever happened to the old Vessels 8 truck, which became RG's Trophy Truck, then Marty Coyne raced it in the FUD series? I know the Coyne's sold it to someone else a long time ago, but I have no idea who. The last pics I saw of it were from about 10 years ago, but not sure what happened after that. I had heard rumors of the current owners being indicted on criminal charges and it was impounded with other property.

Rory

Crayola Killer
Somewhere in Vegas, the owner is not interested in selling last I heard......Tweakers.....LOL

JRod

fast-aid.org
Somewhere in Vegas, the owner is not interested in selling last I heard......Tweakers.....LOL
He may change his mind when he is out of other stuff to sell or destroy as long as he doesn't scrap it! I may be very interested in an old truck that I could get street legal and restore in the next year or so - All depends on what pops up and what my budget is.... But I guess that's the same for everyone, haha.

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
The last time i seen that truck it was at lawnie needabolt's shop in henderson nv around 1998 completly down to the frame and scatterd everywhere in the building along with walkers v10 dodge then the weirdest thing happend the shop was empty???????

harleys dad

I have a original 1975 built 1967 vw sedan raced at the very first class 11 race at Riverside at night sitting in the back yard and know of 2 others that raced in the 70s in the hay day for class 11 that are still in 1 piece. Pretty rare considering in those days the cars were thrown away after a season because the pan would bend because no tubes were allowed to the beam or the torsion housing or they were cut up into 5/1600 cars after 1977. Use to have Tom Coopers 1200cc class 10 tandem that won the 78 Baja 1000, untill my dad cut it up into so many pieces the trash man hauled it away in cans! Tom Haliberta has Bob Maynards old Funco ss2 single seat class 1 car hanging from the celing of his shop last I saw it! He also has his Riverside winning class 11 from the 70s including his old class 8 truck, still has his Micky Thompson Mazda truck and a 1200cc class 9 car complete also hanging from the celing. I know of 1 other class 11 car raced in 1976 sitting in romoland Ca with a huge peper tree growing out of it or threw it!!! It is complete, still has roof lights! only problem is the tree growing out of the floor out the passenger door. Next time I pass it I will take a photo. A big chain saw might help put it back on the road LOL

swick70

I am purchasing a tandem 1600 class in Luguna Niguel this weekend. I can't pass up the deal. I will post pics after i get it. Can these be raced in SNORE Class 1600 races if they meet spec?

Slippery P

I'm looking for the old FACS racing JEEP HONCHO pick up. It was raced back in the 80s, I'm unable to find any pics of this truck at this time I know there were some floating around on this site. My grandfather bought the truck for my dad and uncle to race back around 1995 it sat in my garage for a couple years and was sold to a guy named Scott I believe who was from San Diego in 1999. Story is from there the truck was taken apart and sold to some guys who were going to put it back together for they're dad. I know the info is probably not very helpful but if anyone knows the where abouts of this old Jeep Honcho post up or PM me, thank you.

Class3Fan

j10-401 -- Do you have any idea who originally built it, or who originally drove it, or how it was painted in the early '80s? I've got a number of photos of Honchos from that era -- I'd be happy to look through them if I have a few more clues and post up anything that might be it.

Slippery P

j10-401 -- Do you have any idea who originally built it, or who originally drove it, or how it was painted in the early '80s? I've got a number of photos of Honchos from that era -- I'd be happy to look through them if I have a few more clues and post up anything that might be it.
It was originally built for Roger Mears, it was raced by Greg Hindson under the FACS name who purchased it from a guy named Mike Laplaz. When raced under FACS racing the truck was a step side, metalic grey with white and maroon lettering I believe. FACS on the doors white cage and interior paint as was common then. They were sponcered by Goodyear then, the truck ran Lightning Rods all around at one point which were still on it when it left our hands. Truck was complete and running when we let it go just needed t-case rebuilt.

MasTacos

I was at the VORRA race this past weekend and ran across Rick Meers' old class 9 Chenowyth for sale. The owner raced it and it actually won a moto. Body's a bit rough but the car hasn't been sitting in a barn and is in running condition. I think he's asking $5k/obo. It's still got a bunch of original stickers on it.

http://imgur.com/a/6gMat#0

Class3Fan

I shot all the attached photos at the 1981 HDRA Coors Colorado Championship, held on a short course carved out of the abandoned Pikes Peak Meadows horse track. At least the first Roger Mears Honcho was built in 1979 by Walker Evans. You can see from one of these pictures that there were at least two -- both, at the time, were fleetside rigs, although I've read other places that there was also a stepside built to run Riverside and other short courses. I've never seen a photo of it if it existed. I've also read elsewhere that after the first one Roger's racing partner, Mike Moore, put together a crew to build the subsequent trucks. I'm not sure if that's true or not.

At the time Walker built the first one, it was rumored to have cost $150,000. Again, not sure if that's true or not.

There is video floating around on the web of one of these Honchos racing today with a completely different suspension under it. I have many more photos of these rigs -- if you're interested, I can post them. Or if you want to DM me I'll e-mail them to you.

Enjoy!

Attachments

Slippery P

Class3fan thanks for your effort in tracking this truck down, my uncle is searching for
pics of the truck as he co-drove for FACS racing in the late 80s. It was an ex Mears
bud truck but was a step side, weather or not Walker built it is unknown for now. I will post pics when I get my hands on them. It would be a real shame if the truck ended up In pieces and scrapped like I said when it left our hands is was complete running and needed prep 15 or so years ago.

Class3Fan

j10-401 -- happy to help. Have you been on tracksidephoto.com? I found a picture that may be this truck here:

http://www.tracksidephoto.com/gallery/index.php?module=media&pId=102&id=484275&category=gallery/1990s/1990Nevada500/Trucks&start=0/

I wouldn't be concerned about bed style, if I were you -- Mike Giurbino's Walker Evans-built Honcho began life as a fleetside and was later (around 1981 or so) converted to a stepside. I've also seen photos of other Honchos from that era where the bed was swapped, so it's very possible one of these trucks later got a new bed. It's also possible there were others built (those boys had a lot of money and built a lot of stuff).

germancarsonly

I mostly am a lurker here, but I can add a little bit of the history of the Bud Honchos. This is going back to the late 1970's so if I got something wrong, sorry. Walker Evans built and maintained the first Honcho. Like most race cars in those days one month it ran the desert and the next month a short course. Later a second race car was built and it was a purpose built light weight short course car. Both were Fleetsides. After that Mike Moore put together his own shop in Corona and started maintaining both race Honchos, a Honcho pre-runner, and Moore's Ford pre-runner. Then they built the third race Honcho, the one with the Stepside bed as a desert race car. All three Honchos were fast with Mears driving and in those years he put a dent into Rodney Hall's string of 4X4 wins. Around 1983 Moore and Mears switched to Nissans and the shop, equipment, and all the trucks were sold to Larry Casey. They were then raced under the La Paz Party Mixes banner. Tim Casey won the Mint 400 with the Stepside truck. Mike Evans was the GM and this was before he started being just an engine builder and became a multi time Score Engine Builder of the Year. Jeep wasn't all that much behind it's racers by then and there wasn't much support to any of their teams. The La Paz shop built a new race car, a Ford. It raced once before La Paz ran into problems with it insurance carrier over the race shop and Casey closed it. Where the Honchos went after that will have to be picked up by someone else.

When Mears was racing the Honchos the front bumper had a note printed on it. "This Buds for You!"

Slippery P