• Forum membership has its advantages....

Barn Finds, wherabouts, or i think i knows

Funco SS2

Thanks Bob and Gill for the info on the cars.
Having something as great as the old funcos is good, but knowing whats what is far better!
These have always been my personal favorites since they are pretty much the 69 Corvette of buggys.
They always look great next to anything else with that timeless style that makes for an instant classic.
I'd really like to see all of em that still exist back into the vintage racing scene instead of just being old carcasses rotting away in corners like a caged lion that nobody cares about... at least some people have enough sense not to scrap em no matter how dilapitated they are when they're found.. kinda like old vettes.
I keep an eye out for em and pick em up when I can so they can find they're way back.
I'll rebuild the voodoo car into something that will be quite the thrill to see (oldschool of course, I'm pretty fixed on that since I'm older than these cars and like em as they were when Malcolm and Bobby were flying em).
My spare frames will go to guys that are in the vintage scene so they can be enjoyed by all again.

Funco SS2

Hey Gill.

Nahh .. no hustlers.. yet.. but I'll let you know soon as I can find you one.. I know what they look like.

I got an SS1 thats been mad maxed pretty good, so its gonna need some serious loving to get it back in shape.
Its most of a car that someone may have raced like it is due to the age of whats there.. bad cut up, but savable.
Gotta save it.. how could we not, its a real SS1.
Everythings fixable when it comes down to it as long as you have some-thing to work with.
I've saved stuff people have called totaled and blew their minds. (I used to do heavy collision repair in the 80's)

I have 4 SS2's.
One is that 80ish frame thats a tad wider, pretty stout structure, and not hacked up..
Looks like you could end over end it at 120 and live to tell about it..
A really nice frame, but after you told me other folks copied your front clamp, it could be something else..
hi jumper racer maybe.. I got those clamps for it.. looks just like the SS2's except for the one hoop from the back and around the top thats just like on my old 2 seat jumpers, and theres also room to get in from the side past the bar unlike all the other funco's... but maybe thats just for my skinny little ass, and not for other bigger sturdy guys.

And a real early SS2 thats been "high roofed" by a previous owner but fairly ez fix, its a swing axel that looks factory done and was a likely racer back then by looking at the old speed parts still on it.. its mostly a whole car, maybe somebody can say who's it was.. it still had old sandblaster jr's on the front.. it's wrapped in really thin aluminum sheet instead of fiberglass, but has dzus mounts from when it did have glass on it before the Reynolds wrap job and red spraypaint... frame is light blue.

Then theres the high cage frame (still need to go measure to be sure now that I know how much).. bare frame.. something about it seems way older the way its made.. plus its real light compared to all the others, it doesnt take three men and a boy to lift it into a pickup truck.. its got an irs tube in it, the side brace bars have been cut where they meet the bump stops for swing, so I think it was changed from an original swing at some point, and the two forward x bars to the front beam are partially removed..wtf was that about?? maybe a rack?
The blue one still has an old rack in it, and those arent cut.. so..????

And then theres the low cage SS2 complete and driveable voodoo car I got from mike pearlman thats going to be the wahoomobile for the mex 1k.. and whatever else I can run it in.. 250, 500, mint.
This car will be a keeper for sure, and maybe the 80ish one cause I like being able to get in/out from the sides incase I'm upside down in it.. but the others could be passed onto the right guys with the love and skills to bring em back to their vintage racing glory where they belong.. might keep me out of the projects that way.. buggys anyways.

Anyone looking for a 69 vette 427/435 L89 to restore? never wrecked and complete. 2 engines go with.

Cheers!

Bro_Gill

SS2- The car with the hoop that runs all the way from the rear bumper would be a Hi-jumper, most likely and RS2. I had one of those many years ago. Anyway, post some pictures. I know folks here are looking for cars to build out.

Funco SS2

I did suspect the black frame might be a hi jumper cause the whole back end was the same, but the SS2 shape and front clamp made me think it was just a late gen funco since I'd never known if you "improved" em by really beefing em up for high speed roll over safety and made em for guys bigger than me in late production of that shape as newer sfi requirements dictated.
So, kinda rare frame then.. not so many of those around?
The front clamps that were on it were original funco's, so that added the mystery, and the jumper clamps were on my obviously old and real mad max SS1.. go figure? ez swap.. problem solved.. meant to be I guess.
I am short 1 pair of clamps tho.. the high cage didnt have any on it cause it was a bare frame when I got it, and still is.
Its raining pretty good here today, so pics will be delayed, but they'll be up when I can.. maybe this weekend.
Cool that you have some guys looking for these, I'd like em to go to good homes and be back up and racing.

Thanks Gill.

Cheers, James.

ACME

This is the first "Wedgie" Kent built. Car was owned/raced by Johnny Bartolotti and Kent Lothringer in the 80's in Score, Hdra and Snore. It bounced around a few years with a few owners then ended up with Doug Ingram and won a Snore Championship. It was a Hot VWs feature and I believe cover car, Kent still has the article on his office wall. We owned it for a few years and brought it back from the scrap pile then sold it to the Eugenio family. Would be a solid air cooled car with a history and a good 9 car. It's very unique looking and not your standard Chenoweth or Funco. When we rebuilt it, it went to bare chassies at that time and anything needed to make it safe and competitive was done while keeping it OG.

RDC | Off-Road Racing Classifieds

Rocket 450

This is the first "Wedgie" Kent built. Car was owned/raced by Johnny Bartolotti and Kent Lothringer in the 80's in Score, Hdra and Snore. It bounced around a few years with a few owners then ended up with Doug Ingram and won a Snore Championship. It was a Hot VWs feature and I believe cover car, Kent still has the article on his office wall. We owned it for a few years and brought it back from the scrap pile then sold it to the Eugenio family. Would be a solid air cooled car with a history and a good 9 car. It's very unique looking and not your standard Chenoweth or Funco. When we rebuilt it, it went to bare chassies at that time and anything needed to make it safe and competitive was done while keeping it OG.

RDC | Off-Road Racing Classifieds
Link does not work and doesn't show up when searched

y2kbaja

Good price for a good start on a 9 car frame. If it was a 2-seater...well. But NORRA is a long race in a swinger. Trust me, I know.

CZLou

Look at what i found at a friends house today. A old class11 1966 swing axle. Any info or interest in it?
DSC00151.JPG

Rory

Crayola Killer
How much?

Lifeflight

Wow. I happened to run into Rick Haslow(ShockTech) about 6 months ago. Still lives down near O-Side

CZLou

Rick still lives in Carlsbad. His shocks are missing from the car.The drivers door hing to body is badly rusted. I didn't look to closely at the car for rust. He hasn't got back to me on what he wants to do with the car. But I wouldn't hold my breath on it. just my 2 cents.

partybarge_pilot

I wonder if Rick still has the storage unit full of MT crap.........

I bet he has shocks for that thing hidden somewhere too..........

ACME

I found this and thought about a project or flip but just no time or room for another project... Looks like one of the old Mears trucks to me but you guys can figure it out...

Vintage 1980 Nissan prerunner

I am looking for a trailer: 18-20', min 96" wide, steel deck only with 2-5K/10K axles w/brakes not a 7k. No junk or projects please. Let me know what ya got!