Barn Finds, wherabouts, or i think i knows

Rory

Crayola Killer
I gave the Vildosolas a heads up on it, it's only right, not sure if they put a down payment on it or not though.

dirtslinger

I was going to go take pictures of it for anyone since it's so close to me, but when I emailed the seller he said he had a deposit. I told him I didn't want it, even though I want it now, just wanted to check it out. Would be cool if the Vildosolas bought it back.

toddz

This car was designed and built by Tom McClelland. Tom was a pioneer off-road racer that won many races driving with Andy DeVercelly. The car originally had a 289 Ford engine with Gurney-Weslake heads and the spaghetti 8 pipe exhaust had an awesome sound. A roller chain drive transferred the power from the C-4 to a Jaguar IRS with in-board disc brakes. The original front end was a hand made beefy replica of a bus link-pin and had different front shock mounts than pictured above. The car was campaigned during the early 80's and was submitted to Mattel to be a Hot Wheels model and also drawings of a 2 seat version with a Bronco II body was submitted to Ford. Sadly both Mattel and Ford passed. This is an amazing car, especially since the design and technology is 35 years old.
Thanks for the heads up and history on this car. So cool that it had a 289 with Gurney-Weslake heads! I think that's a first for off road racing.

Todd Z.

dirtslinger

The owner told me that the new buyer is a "big name" in off-road, but not the Vildosola's. Curious who is picking this up.

harleys dad

No, it's an older funco or high-jumper with some updated suspension pieces on it. Doubt Nye had anything to do with it.
I have seen pictures of that racing in the 70s just like that and seen it myself when I was young, a million years ago

La Tijereta

I gave the Vildosolas a heads up on it, it's only right, not sure if they put a down payment on it or not though.
Well.. Maybe Gus can track down this old Chevy he raced with back in 1977 Baja 1000...
Would be a nice vintage ride for NORRA..
CenterlineImages.1977. Baja 1000. 321. Pankratz. Vildosola.21x.jpg

@ CenterlineImages

OldStroppeTeam

Well.. Maybe Gus can track down this old Chevy he raced with back in 1977 Baja 1000...
Would be a nice vintage ride for NORRA..
View attachment 183637
@ CenterlineImages
I worked on that truck and rode couple races in it . It is the old Rough Country Shocks- Lonnie Woods truck.
It may still be in the Imperial Valley. The last owner I know of was Jim Nimlowell.(sp)
He is friends with Nuckles and a couple other IV area racers.
It was really cool working on the truck in Wally's shop next to the OLD GLORY Baja Bug and all the Airplanes and helicopters.... Fun stuff when your 23 !!

Mark Newhan

I worked on that truck and rode couple races in it . It is the old Rough Country Shocks- Lonnie Woods truck.
It may still be in the Imperial Valley. The last owner I know of was Jim Nimlowell.(sp)
It was really cool working on the truck in Wally's shop next to the OLD GLORY Baja Bug and all the Airplanes and helicopters.... Fun stuff when your 23 !!

I worked on Jim's truck back in '84'ish.

harleys dad

what happened to the old glory baja bug? Like most cut up?

Possible NORRA or other Vintage project? 1968 Jeepster Commando built by original Off-Road Motorsports Hall of Fame inductee Brian Chuchua in California. Brian built 3 of these Jeepster Commandos, 2 were steel bodied and this one was the only 1 with a fiberglass body. We were told Brian won the Baja 500 but we are unsure whether he won it in this particular Jeepster. This Jeepster was also reportedly driven by Steve McQueen in a California race at one time. Was also driven by former NFL Green Bay Packer linebacker Brian Noble and still has his name on the passenger side of the car. Has a 225 c.i. V6 Buick engine, Turbo 400 transmission with a quadra-track transfer case, Scout front and rear differentials & fiberglass body. Does anyone know any more details on this particular vintage race vehicle?

output_1.jpg output_2.jpg

Last edited:

retroblazer

Nice Jeep. The only item that is out of place is the transfer case. They didn't start making them until the mid to late 70's.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

retroblazer

Guessing from the 1400 series number, and the tire logo, it was last raced as a Class 14.

retroblazer

Sandy Cone is familiar with most of the details about Chuchua's Jeeps.

toddz

Possible NORRA or other Vintage project? 1968 Jeepster Commando built by original Off-Road Motorsports Hall of Fame inductee Brian Chuchua in California. Brian built 3 of these Jeepster Commandos, 2 were steel bodied and this one was the only 1 with a fiberglass body. We were told Brian won the Baja 500 but we are unsure whether he won it in this particular Jeepster. This Jeepster was also reportedly driven by Steve McQueen in a California race at one time. Was also driven by former NFL Green Bay Packer linebacker Brian Noble and still has his name on the passenger side of the car. Has a 225 c.i. V6 Buick engine, Turbo 400 transmission with a quadra-track transfer case, Scout front and rear differentials & fiberglass body. Does anyone know any more details on this particular vintage race vehicle?

View attachment 183934 View attachment 183935
Have you asked Brian?

Todd Z.

Gadzooks2

View attachment 183934 View attachment 183935
Logged a lot of miles in that Jeepster back when T&J ran it. We called it Herbie. It had a shift kit in it that hit the 1-2 shift so hard it changed lanes on you! Fun reliable jeep..

TROPHYSEDAN

Will Bradford. lets make a call.