• Forum membership has its advantages....

Barn Finds, wherabouts, or i think i knows

LantanaTX

No matter how it happened that was THEIR day!
It sure was! Class 2 swept the top 3 overall positions. Bobby Ferro told me that of all his wins, this win was the most significant. This was the only race that Judy Smith did with Bobby. She hit her head on a bar and was knocked out. Tracy replaced her in the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
She hit her head on a bar and was knocked out.
Sadly, same thing happened to Judy's friend and editor, Jean Calvin, with far more serious consequences, when she was riding in a 5/1600 at San Felipe 25 years ago.

Another good reminder to always run your belts tight, your cage padded, and provides adequate clear space in case of any upset.

harleys dad

Sadly, same thing happened to Judy's friend and editor, Jean Calvin, with far more serious consequences, when she was riding in a 5/1600 at San Felipe 25 years ago.

Another good reminder to always run your belts tight, your cage padded, and provides adequate clear space in case of any upset.
She was riding with Cam and I, I tried to talk her out of it before the race started but she refused. She was a tough lady but I will always feel she should not have been in the car. She was my friend and I do miss her

LantanaTX

Hey Bob, is that all from Halliburda's? You trying to get one of every manufacturer ever built? I see a Woods, a Chenowth, a Sandwinder, and a funco.
Not my cars. I did used to own the Brandwood car which is the top one at the front. Non from Haliburda as far as I know.

LantanaTX

Is the Brandwood pre- or post- the 1983 Parker 400?
The car was built in 1979. I am not sure how long it raced. It was originally built by Jack Garner and raced by Doc Ingram. Doc raced it in the US desert races about the time he was racing the Skoal Bandit car in Baja. Doc also raced the Mickey Thompson series in this car. The last owner/driver was Steve McArthur. All these guys were from Phoenix. Jim Cunningham owned Brandwood and also raced one of these at the Mint and other races. Jim and Doc were both very tall. Jim said he basically copied Funco to make a car for big and tall guys. Jim only built about 4 of these and this is the only known survivor. It used a very unique rear suspension with lots of travel and had a 12” over beam in 1979.

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
That may be the car I was in at a MTEG event at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, AZ, then.

No, I wasn't racing, I was being a body for Doc, as he showed medical personnel how to remove an unconscious driver from a single seat buggy. Thinkin' 85-87- ish.

And all I had to do was:

LantanaTX

That may be the car I was in at a MTEG event at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, AZ, then.

No, I wasn't racing, I was being a body for Doc, as he showed medical personnel how to remove an unconscious driver from a single seat buggy. Thinkin' 85-87- ish.

When Doc raced it, it was red.

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
IIRC, car was in Skoal livery, probably a later car.

That last photo is familiar enough and fuzzy enough to be one of mine, looks like a Puerto Penasco ADRA race. Phil required that font bumper material in the Sportsman division.

Doc and Jim are still kicking, AFAIK, so watch that past tense. I spoke to Jim just days ago, and heard Doc was playing with blacktop cars a couple years ago.

Doc Cook still around, too.