• Forum membership has its advantages....

Barn Finds, wherabouts, or i think i knows

Fastfox

Hello everyone. I was posting in a different group avout this but was told here would be better. I picked up something interesting recently. Looking for build ideas. Its the twin terror made by racefab. Jefferson was the engineer. Here are some pics. Its missing a bunch but I basically have the chassis and differentials complete.

Attachments

bullnerd

Hello everyone. I was posting in a different group avout this but was told here would be better. I picked up something interesting recently. Looking for build ideas. Its the twin terror made by racefab. Jefferson was the engineer. Here are some pics. Its missing a bunch but I basically have the chassis and differentials complete.
That thing is wild looking.

Good luck.

cynicwanderer

I checked out this buggy in a barn and was wondering if anyone had any history of it before its Vorra days ? The owner didn't know, since he traded it for something. He thought it might have raced in Baja back in the day. Trying to decide if it's historically significant to rescue. Who made the chassis ?

67113251_2459231094099065_1798496995191554048_n.jpg
67130100_2459231057432402_6205493634024865792_n.jpg

cynicwanderer

its a Chenowth DR1 Not sure of the year should be a tag on rear torsion tube right side Is he looking to sell it?
great, thanks. yes, it's for sale on facebook marketplace in norcal. it looks like a fun project car and I am actually looking for a buggy to race, but I'd like a two-seater so my kid/wife can go with me. the guy also has a baja bug for sale as a combo, that's why I even went to look.

cynicwanderer

UPDATE: the seller says the previous owner (Foster) got it from the McMillin family and it originally had a Porsche engine in it. it does match some of the single seaters they were racing in the 80s from the pictures, including the mounting tabs for the head light on the A pillar, etc... I suspect it would be hard to figure which vehicle it was and what races it was in. how many Chenowth/Porsche buggies did the McMillans race during the 80s ? makes me wish I had a bigger place to work on/store vehicles.

Moss2

That looks like one that I used to drive by all the time at Fosters Trucking in Grass Valley. I could hear them from work when they moved them around. Sorry don't have any real info but I think they did well when they ran them in Vorra. That was back in late 90s early 2000s. Foster or Sam Berri I'm sure would know something more about it.

Last edited:

ACME

I also heard the ex Damen/Casey Jeffries class 9, championship winning Jimco 2 seater is up for sale again (owner was going back n fourth). It's compete with all the parts (most are new as he was totally rebuilding it), a new motor, new beam-bars-S plates and a fresh trans rebuild all with zero miles, all the goodies & spares. RDC member Shred 918 said he's going to sell it. A solid "vintage" car with a history and fresh parts that could be ready to race NORRA in a few weekends...

message him here: Shred918

harleys dad

UPDATE: the seller says the previous owner (Foster) got it from the McMillin family and it originally had a Porsche engine in it. it does match some of the single seaters they were racing in the 80s from the pictures, including the mounting tabs for the head light on the A pillar, etc... I suspect it would be hard to figure which vehicle it was and what races it was in. how many Chenowth/Porsche buggies did the McMillans race during the 80s ? makes me wish I had a bigger place to work on/store vehicles.
I I do not believe that is a McMillin car, they had 1 single seat car and that is not it, the single seat Mark drove was sold as a bare frame and body. with no parts. The only other single seat car they have had was Dans 1600 car and a couple of short course 1600 cars they had for a short while Besides the single seat Mark drove the rest were 2 seat cars

cynicwanderer

I I do not believe that is a McMillin car, they had 1 single seat car and that is not it, the single seat Mark drove was sold as a bare frame and body. with no parts. The only other single seat car they have had was Dans 1600 car and a couple of short course 1600 cars they had for a short while Besides the single seat Mark drove the rest were 2 seat cars
ok, thanks for the info.

LantanaTX

I spoke to Ron Foster. He had remembered the McMillin history but could not verify it. He put me in touch with the guy he bought it from named Dave Jeffries who said when he bought it it was just a chassis which he built into a class 10 car for VORRA. It was missing all the suspension as well as the engine and trans. He also had pictures of it when he bought it as just a chassis in the McMillin paint job. We are convinced it is the car that won four consecutive Baja 1000’s including 2 1000 overalls. It won the triple crown in 1988 and was picked up today. Lynn Chenowth is the proud new owner and it will be restored to original condition. We will be posting pictures.

cynicwanderer

I spoke to Ron Foster. He had remembered the McMillin history but could not verify it. He put me in touch with the guy he bought it from named Dave Jeffries who said when he bought it it was just a chassis which he built into a class 10 car for VORRA. It was missing all the suspension as well as the engine and trans. He also had pictures of it when he bought it as just a chassis in the McMillin paint job. We are convinced it is the car that won four consecutive Baja 1000’s including 2 1000 overalls. It won the triple crown in 1988 and was picked up today. Lynn Chenowth is the proud new owner and it will be restored to original condition. We will be posting pictures.
that's awesome ! I'm glad it went "home", in a way...