• Forum membership has its advantages....

Barn Finds, wherabouts, or i think i knows

LantanaTX

that's awesome ! I'm glad it went "home", in a way...
Here is a picture of the car when owned by Dave Jeffries who built the car into a class 10 car after buying it as as chassis/body when it still had the McMillin paint job. I will post more pictures as I can. I am also glad it is going home. It will be a race ready museum car at the Chenowth Legacy Lodge in Baja. Eventually all the museum cars will be ready to race vintage races like NORRA. This year Lynn Chenowth pulled 5 cars out of the Museum to race the NORRA Mexican 1000. There will be multiple cars at next Months NORRA 500!!

Last edited:

LantanaTX

I compared this current picture of the dash to a picture on Trackside Photo where only the right side is visible and it is a perfect match. McMillin cars had very busy dashes and probably more wiring that anyone.

LantanaTX

So did you have to buy the wrecked Baja too? Asking for a friend!
We had to buy both cars. He did not want to separate because the Baja Bug was in the driveway and I think his wife wanted it gone. The driveway was also not a very secure place for it.

cynicwanderer

I compared this current picture of the dash to a picture on Trackside Photo where only the right side is visible and it is a perfect match. McMillin cars had very busy dashes and probably more wiring that anyone.

I'm so glad you drove up to rescue this car. I was the guy who originally looked at it and posted the pics on here. I had done a little research and compared what I saw in the barn with pictures I found of the original online and talked myself out of it since I was convinced that it was too good to be true. anyway, I'm glad it was found and will be restored properly, since I wouldn't have had the resources to do it. I'd like to go visit it at the Lounge once it's there... what are your plans for the Bug ?

Last edited:

Bro_Gill

is this anything?

No, looks like a fairly new build. Is it balljoint in the front? Looks like it is and someone just whacked the shock towers off and added those longer shocks. Appears to be a Class 9 car someone got tired of.

ACME

Bro_Gill

68 converted to IRS? Where the Rules Patrol???

68 converted to IRS? Where the Rules Patrol???
You COULD get an IRS sedan in 1968, but only if it came with the "automatic stick shift."

Looks like a "gray area."

Where's Bill Savage when we need him!?!

Bro_Gill

I actually met a women with only a right leg that raced the Baja 1000 in a VW bug back in the 1970s. It was an auto stick. I was a kid and she explained why her car was lifted and how she had attempted the race 3 times. This would have been about 1973. She never finished, if I remember right, but she loved the sport. Back before Class 11 existed.

ACME

For some reason I remember a similar car to the white pic in MORE when the wife raced 11 years ago... In SCORE or others could be an issue but in NORRA???

Previous C-11 Rules infarktions that were overlooked and then allowed(?): Other than stock steering shafts, shock length & mounting, race fuel, rear shock mount-tower alteration, cut package trays, misc type 2/3 parts

ACME

Tandam-ish...

Lord Green

I actually met a women with only a right leg that raced the Baja 1000 in a VW bug back in the 1970s. It was an auto stick. I was a kid and she explained why her car was lifted and how she had attempted the race 3 times. This would have been about 1973. She never finished, if I remember right, but she loved the sport. Back before Class 11 existed.
What did the rest of her do while her right leg was racing the 1000?

ACME

Not a "barn find" & imho a little pricey o_O … But if it's an ex Sundahl bike there is some cool history here...